·
Registered
2001 Valkyrie I/S
6,034 Posts
I am fond of Sylvania silver stars

·
Registered
925 Posts
+1 on SilverStar bulbs, Be sure to aim it properly, regardless of what bulb you use. 3 of the last 4 bike all came with the headlight pointing at the ground between 50-100 ft out. Were not safe to ride at night.

I use a long straight flat road, preferably with trees or bushes down both sides. With you sitting on it, have a helper turn the adjusters to center the bright dot of the high beam as far down the road as they can without lifting the dot off the road, center it in your lane. Amazing difference and no one flashes me.

·
Registered
2003 VT1100C Spirit
257 Posts
Speaking of headlights now that the discussion is open...does any one use an LED headlight? There's the less expensive plug and play types all the way to the expensive complete assembly replacement types.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
02 1100 Spirit / 2012 Goldwing
4,973 Posts

·
Registered
1983 VT500C
614 Posts
Speaking of headlights now that the discussion is open...does any one use an LED headlight? There's the less expensive plug and play types all the way to the expensive complete assembly replacement types.

Any thoughts?
I got the least expensive one that I could find on Amazon to test them out.
$13.98 got me a pretty good little headlight. Been on it almost a year now.
It's easily triple the light of a standard bulb.

·
Registered
'07 Shadow Aero 750
3,132 Posts
I saw the LED lightbulbs at Advance Auto when I replaced the bulb in my '07 Shadow Aero 750 (see my post about it). But, I decided to go simple and easy, and got a common Sylvania 60/55w H4 bulb for real cheap.

·
Registered
2003 VT1100C Spirit
257 Posts
I use an LED. All of the bulbs on my bike are LED
I using this one from superbright LEDs.
Hey blue flames, what bulbs do you use on your dash indicator lights (Neutral, Blinker and High beam)? I replaced my speedometer and tachometer bulbs on the Valkyrie with LED's awhile back, but haven't changed anything else over to LED on either the Valkyrie or the Shadow.

For the headlight, I'm leaning towards the H4 'plug-n-play' replacement. I figure that if the LED goes out, I can always have an H4 spare (like I do now) in my saddle bag. Can't do that with the expensive "Day Maker" assemblies!

·
Registered
4,973 Posts
Hey blue flames, what bulbs do you use on your dash indicator lights (Neutral, Blinker and High beam)? I replaced my speedometer and tachometer bulbs on the Valkyrie with LED's awhile back, but haven't changed anything else over to LED on either the Valkyrie or the Shadow.

For the headlight, I'm leaning towards the H4 'plug-n-play' replacement. I figure that if the LED goes out, I can always have an H4 spare (like I do now) in my saddle bag. Can't do that with the expensive "Day Maker" assemblies!
This is what I used. They come in all three colors.

·
Registered
4,973 Posts
I also swapped my wife's VLX to all LED as well as my wing except the dash lights. Not ready to tear the fairing apart yet.

·
Registered
2003 VT1100C Spirit
257 Posts
I also swapped my wife's VLX to all LED as well as my wing except the dash lights. Not ready to tear the fairing apart yet.
Ugh...I imagine getting into the dash of a Goldwing requires the right state of mind!

Thanks for the insight, I've ordered almost everything I need for a complete crossover to LED including the proper blinker relay for the Valk. I'll have everything, except the blinkers, up and going LED on the Shadow as well.

·
Registered
4,973 Posts
Ugh...I imagine getting into the dash of a Goldwing requires the right state of mind!

Thanks for the insight, I've ordered almost everything I need for a complete crossover to LED including the proper blinker relay for the Valk. I'll have everything, except the blinkers, up and going LED on the Shadow as well.

Make sure the valk and shadow have the same type of bulb in the cluster and indicator housing.My wife's VLX was different than my shadow. I thought they would be the same and bought the lights. Then went to install and discovered they were different. I installed clear turn and brake light lens. And went with switchback bulbs on front.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I saw the LED lightbulbs at Advance Auto when I replaced the bulb in my '07 Shadow Aero 750 (see my post about it). But, I decided to go simple and easy, and got a common Sylvania 60/55w H4 bulb for real cheap.
did you have any problem with the diodes?, 2 off mine burned after installed similar bulbs.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Think I've replaced my bulb once in the last year+,went with a Discount Auto bulb.Maybe 4-5 bucks.My headlight is so-so on brightness,really need couple auxilary lights on my "crash bar".

·
Registered
'07 Shadow Aero 750
3,132 Posts
did you have any problem with the diodes?, 2 off mine burned after installed similar bulbs.
Not a problem at all... I bought a basic Sylvania H4 lightbulb, and everything is fine.

·
Registered
11 Posts

Any thoughts?
I tried one of the drop in LED lights with built in fan and it fit and worked well. The problem is of you have a radio installed. These things emit RFI for about a 6 ft radius and I couldn’t get any reception. I tried ferrite chokes all over the place. Had five of them in the headlight wiring alone. The RFI was emitted from the unit itself so the chokes didn’t help. Ended up going back to a halogen bulb.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
925 Posts
I tried one of the drop in LED lights with built in fan and it fit and worked well. The problem is of you have a radio installed. These things emit RFI for about a 6 ft radius and I couldn’t get any reception. I tried ferrite chokes all over the place. Had five of them in the headlight wiring alone. The RFI was emitted from the unit itself so the chokes didn’t help. Ended up going back to a halogen bulb.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Funny you should mention that, I've been having noise/static in my home radios. Finally tracked it down to the LED shop light conversions I did several years ago. Went to the store and sure enough, most of the bulbs do not have FCC rating and the ones that do are of course more expensive.

·
Registered
06' VT1100C/99' GL1500C Valkyrie
9,028 Posts
An issue that comes up with most Shadows using LED is they have smooth reflectors thus the LED "dark spot" will be more prominent. A halogen reflects better and probably works just as well w/o the bright white color of the LED. Basically I prefer the standard Silverstar at night especially on high beam and I got 45,000 mi./10 yrs. out of 1 st. one on 3 different bikes. Yes I'm a "frugal" sort. :D $23 cost and have the stocker as back up.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts