Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, All.

I know I want to get a headlight modulator and have a few questions about them.

I have heard there are ones that are plug and play, no splicing.

Splicing isn't a problem, as I did install my Backoff XP on my bike with no problem. Just want a quick install.

I like all the options the
Diamond Star Headlight Modulator made by signal dynamics has on it, but it looks like it needs to be spliced.

Which modulator seems to be the most reliable, easiest to install and most cost effective?

I do have a PIAA Xtreme bulb that claims to put out 110/100W, and don't know if that will be a problem.

Thanks, for all your input.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
I got my modulator from
www.comagination.com
(Check the site about your requirements)

No cutting required. It plugs in in between the bulb its H4 plug thats in your head light housing. You have to route a light sensor so it will deactivate the modulator when the sun sets.

There are others out there too. I don't know which is best.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hello.
Lamp 100/110W & headlight modulator bet NOT!
Battery is not easy:)
Here in Russia we set at the head lamp xenon lamp. Her consumption of 35W.
You are prohibited by law?

·
Registered
164 Posts
The modulator is a great addition!
I'm running modulators on my two main bikes.
I bought them from www.headlightmodulator.com
They are plug and play and very easy to install.
I also bought taillight flashers from them. I have the taillight flashers connected to 'extra' red LED lights on the back of the bike. That way the std brake light comes on steady and the LEDs flash.

The modulators are a cheap and effective way to be much more visible to the cagers.

Go for it...

·
Registered
368 Posts
Whichever system you choose, be sure and carry a copy of the federal regulations permitting their use in all fifty states and Canada. When the nice policeman pulls you over for having a "flashing" headlight, you can attempt to educate him/her as to the difference between flashing and modulating. I know some that are using the Kisan Pathblazer modulator and are happy with them. Check out their products as well as a link to the federal regulations permitting their use here:

https://www.kisantech.com/index.php

·
Registered
42 Posts
Upsss ........ I'm confused.
I decided that it was a head lamp 100/110W + two extra headlights.
Now I realized my mistake.
But do not swear at me and chase.
Be friendly and people to see you stretch.

Thank you for clarifying my mistake and a link to a good shop.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
I got my modulator from
www.comagination.com

No cutting required. It plugs in in between the bulb its H4 plug thats in your head light housing. You have to route a light sensor so it will deactivate the modulator when the sun sets.
+1 here, I got the same one, installed it 3 or 4 years ago and it's worked every time, no issues, no problems. I use the Sylvania Ultrastar H4 bulb.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Ugh! headlight modulators. One of the most annoying things you can do to the motorists around you. Absolutely worthless. Put better lights on your bike if you want to be seen.-----Metalguy

·
Registered
756 Posts
4 years on my comagination and it's working great. They make a huge difference for in-city riding and safety.

I believe they have saved me numerous times from left hand turners and just make you way more visible on the road. Don't worry about who it annoys, if their annoyed it means they are seeing you, which is a good thing.

I should add that I have never been pulled over by the police because of the modulator, and have even been waved at by them a few times. They like the extra safely it provides. When i went for my sound check last year the police thanked me for being safe on the road and i rode in to them with the modulator on just to get their reaction to it.

·
Registered
12,291 Posts
I got my modulator from
www.comagination.com

There are others out there too. I don't know which is best.
^This. The comagination product is the best. (JMHO)

·
Registered
164 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,042 Posts
I've ridden in front of a bike that had a modulator. Looks like a light bar would be better, IMO. I'm considering a modulator add on for the brakes.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Headlight modulators are a personal choice. I had one on a previous bike only because it had one on it when I acquired it. That was nearly 21 years ago. I've considered another one for my current ride over the years, but never got around to it. Riders that do choose to have one should be cognizant of when to use it and when not. Such as, when group riding only use when you are in the lead as they become annoying to your fellow riders having it constantly flashing in their rear view mirrors. Also, in stop and go traffic or perhaps in slow moving traffic in a construction zone where you are stuck behind the same vehicle for a distance, a modulator does more to annoy the poor driver stuck in front of you. I also find they are of little positive use on Interstate highways. They are best reserved for rural two lane roads.

·
Registered
756 Posts
LOL! Safe? Assuming that a flashing headlight will make someone not turn in front of you is rather smug. Better lighting will actually make it so you are SEEN.
Clearwater Lights High Powered LED Motorcycle Lights
Oh, and pissing off motorists is no big deal? See if you think that after the car in front of you slams on his brakes....
-----Metalguy
Have you ever tried a modulator Metalguy? or are you just dreaming all this up? Give it a go sometime and you will see the positive effects of it.

I totally agree that having extra lights can help with visibility, but what it doesn't always help with is distance interpretation. A motorcycle looks small until it is right up on top of you, then it's size increases suddenly. At least with a modulator a lot of people wonder if you might be some kind of emergency vehicle and make the decision to wait and let you pass. It really works great.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have to agree with Metalguy, I hate modulators when they are coming towards me and when they are following me and it is same whether I am on 2 wheels or in a cage. Modulators are simply damned annoying!!!

·
Registered
789 Posts

·
Registered
5,806 Posts
At least with a modulator a lot of people wonder if you might be some kind of emergency vehicle and make the decision to wait and let you pass. It really works great.

And that is exactly what makes them dangerous. You really don't see how risky to others/selfish it is to run around making people think that you're an emergency vehicle?

Motorcycles with headlight modulators are a threat to every other vehicle on the road, but hey as long as you think your safe, screw everyone else right.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts