Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The 600 I just acquired has no functioning headlights. The fuse is good, the ground is good to the bulb, but there is no power at either the high or low bulb connections, so I took the switch out, and there is no power going to the switch. None of the wires coming out of the fuse block are the same color as the wire going to the switch, so I know it must connect to something else, somewhere else.

I know I probably have a broken crimp connection somewhere, but are there any other components in the chain that I should check? Is there a relay for the headlight system? The wires going to the switch seemed really tiny to be carrying any current.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hey Ben!
It would be right for the headlight to be running a relay, and this would be backed up by the fact that the wires to the switch are fairly small. The switch runs minimal current from the battery to the relay and the relay closes and carries major current to the light. The relay will stay closed, running the light, as long as the small current from the switch stays on. Therefore the minimal current going to the switch would not neccesarily need to have a fuse in line. The fuse would be for the relay.
My suggestion would be: trace the wires from the switch back to the battery or a common positive. There has to be a break from positive to the switch. It is not switching power to the relay to activate the light.
I hope this helps!

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Which switch did you remove? The HI/LO switch or the starter switch?

The start switch when in rest mode runs the power to the Hi/Lo switch. These switches are crap and wear quickly due to arching/resistance/heat build up/melting plastic in that order. Take that switch out and clean it up. Make sure the contacts are free of any plastic film.

Do you have any additional accessories wired to the bike? The wiring is designed to just handle what the bike requires. When you start adding accessories it over taxes the 18 gauge wire and switches involved.
As stated above, always add a relay for any accessories so the power is drawn entirely from the battery and your stock circuit only trips the relay (.25 Amps).

Check out the Headlight Harness here if you want to save your next switch if that turns out to be your problem.

www.gonzos-garage.com/bike/harness.htm

Gonz

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.