Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
859 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally decided to do SS1000. The challenge of a 1000 miles in 24 hours has been spinning around in my head since last year and it's time. I got my route figured out and a couple of tenatived weekends in March circled on the calendar.
The trip will consist of a big ol loop right in the middle of Texas. I'll drop off the caprock (Texas Plains) and head east making a right turn at Vernon to go south thru the Hill country to Fredricksburg. At Fredricksburg head west to I-10 and Ft. Stockton, catch a good sw breeze out of Mexico and head to the house.
Can't wait!!

·
Registered
236 Posts
Awesome man, you will love it. I think that you are making a good decision to head South for it (speaking from experience :roll: ). If you need anything before you get it all set up let me know.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey that would great if I had some company along the way. I plan on stopping in Vernon, Coleman, Fredricksburg, Junction, Ft.Stockton and Brownfield. I have equipped my Spirit with a 2 gallon tour tank for fewer fuel stops. The I-10 stretch between Junction and Ft. Stockton is just about 200 miles with very little in between.
So if anyone is out and about needing excuse to ride and is along the way I would appecriate the company. It would be a honor to meet some of you folks.

·
Registered
4,689 Posts
Can you detail the installation and plumbing of your 2 gallon tour tank, with pics would be very cool. :)

·
Registered
859 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
cbjr0256 said:
Can you detail the installation and plumbing of your 2 gallon tour tank, with pics would be very cool. :)
Sure cb, I will try to get it done this weekend if not sooner.

·
Registered
31 Posts
lonestar,
I understand you have spent a lot of time planning your route, etc, and the time frame you have. I rode 1100 miles in 26 hours a few years ago without really planning, it just kinda happened, and a lot of my miles were on slow roads or in poor weather conditions, with a lot of stops for pictures along the way.
I'm trying to say you probably have more time than you might think.
So, if you haven't been to the hill country or the Big Bend area before, you might consider a little out-of-the-way loop.
Like south from Fredericksburg through Kerrville, down 39 to 187 and turn west at Vanderpool or Utopia, over to 83 and Leakey (that's lake-y for non-Texians). 83 will take you back up to I-10 near Junction. That will take a little while, but it will give you a taste of what I think is the best part of the hill country. There's also a bike hangout in Leakey that sells t-shirts, etc.
Or maybe south at Ft. Stockton on 385 to Marathon, over to Alpine, then up through Ft. Davis to I-10. Scenic, open roads, watch for mule deer. Alpine is a different looking town for Texas.

Now that I think about it, my wife and I need to try to have about a 4 day weekend in March, timed with some rain in Big Bend. That will give us time to take some new roads and maybe see the desert in bloom.

Just some suggestions if you find you have some time. Enjoy your ride.

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
This will be a terrific ride, we think. The bluebonnets will be hitting their stride in the southern parts of the state (around April 1-15 is normally the high tide for them).

We would love to try the same trek, but do it in about four days. Maybe some day...

We trudge on.

[/img]

·
Registered
859 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
txspirit said:
lonestar,
I understand you have spent a lot of time planning your route, etc, and the time frame you have. I rode 1100 miles in 26 hours a few years ago without really planning, it just kinda happened, and a lot of my miles were on slow roads or in poor weather conditions, with a lot of stops for pictures along the way.
I'm trying to say you probably have more time than you might think.
So, if you haven't been to the hill country or the Big Bend area before, you might consider a little out-of-the-way loop.
Like south from Fredericksburg through Kerrville, down 39 to 187 and turn west at Vanderpool or Utopia, over to 83 and Leakey (that's lake-y for non-Texians). 83 will take you back up to I-10 near Junction. That will take a little while, but it will give you a taste of what I think is the best part of the hill country. There's also a bike hangout in Leakey that sells t-shirts, etc.
Or maybe south at Ft. Stockton on 385 to Marathon, over to Alpine, then up through Ft. Davis to I-10. Scenic, open roads, watch for mule deer. Alpine is a different looking town for Texas.

Now that I think about it, my wife and I need to try to have about a 4 day weekend in March, timed with some rain in Big Bend. That will give us time to take some new roads and maybe see the desert in bloom.

Just some suggestions if you find you have some time. Enjoy your ride.
Txspirit, thanks for the suggestions. I did the Big Bend area last year, wow. I rode deep into the the Big Bend National Park stopping at the Boquillas Canyon Overlook. From there I took a short hike to a swallow section of the Rio Grande. After dipping my toes into the river I rode thru the park over to Study Butte and into Alpine for the night. The next morning I did the Ft. Davis loop, up to Balmorhea and then north to the High Plains. Besides the mule deer, it was the havelinas wondering around that got my attention. That weekend was my favorite ride of the year.
This April I plan on going back but, I am going to go through the Hill Country to get there. Gotta make that ride from San Saba to Kerrville on State Highway 16. Then the one you suggested to Leakey and down to Uvalde and Del Rio for the night. Get up next mornig and head to the Big Bend for Alpine, Study Butte, Presido and back north to Marfia. Hit the Guadalupe's as I make my way back to the homestead on Sunday.
Sorry for the long winded thread but, I get exicted with road trip stuff.

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
Having earned my Iron Butt Certification doing the New England 1000...may I offer a few tips...

Document your ride carefully for your Iron Butt. Receipts from gas stations with time/date stamps are good. Also keep a log of your ride...times, miles, etc. of your stops.

Keep your ride legs to about 100 miles. This will give you time to fill one tank, empty the other, and RE-HYDRATE, RE-HYDRATE, RE-HYDRATE (have I emphasized that enough?).

I did the 1000 miles in about 21 1/2 hours (with two others from this board in MA). It was a great experience that I wouldn't trade for anything.

Enjoy 8)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts