Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone ever use these? I picked up a set because they were cheap and I figured "what the hell"
I am very skeptical that they will be very effective through my Kurys..
I saw a video where someone installed them over the grips and held them in place with heat shrink. I have heat shrink that'll fit (2") and I really don't want to pull my grips right now, so I'm thinking of trying that first,
any thoughts

Amazon.com: Kimpex Handlebar Grip Heater Kit 12-170: Automotive

·
Premium Member
8,857 Posts
I installed something very similar under my isogrips (heat demons) ..but bypassed the thermistor, routed the cables through my handlebars and wired them directly into the switch-block mounted on my brake reservoir.. They work okay..

The isogrips are one of the least effective for transferring heat from such elements due to the fact they are made up of thick rubber with larger air cavities.. But, they will work.

Those elements get HOT.. So...Over the top of a grip? ...These things are electrical elements which ideally require a flat surface to mount onto and a certain amount of protection, Just heat shrink tubing over lumpy, spongy, rubber .. Hmmm ..If there's no instability, Those things will get real warm.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
if my understanding is correct, the throttle side is sandwiched between the throttle tube and the grip... If they get that hot.... that sounds bad

·
Premium Member
8,857 Posts
Yes, and not had a problem.. When you are moving through cold air it takes a lot of therms to build up any kind of destructive heat.. The Elements themselves will only produce certain amount of heat anyway, so, as long as they get hot and stay hot, they will work okay..

On top of the grip though? ..Might be too much heat to not cause slip on the rubber of those grips, might also be too hot..

·
Premium Member
8,857 Posts
Normally a thermistor would be wired near the element, they just break the circuit when the heat reaches a certain point and make the circuit when the heat dissipates.. Not sure, looking at your elements, if I see them.. Many ATV grip heaters don't have them.. Could be you're in luck :)

The big thing is separating the isogrips from your throttle tube.. I had used the glue originally, so couldn't separate one from the other.. Had to order a new tube and new grips to install those heaters..

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
when I had my shadow the grips came apart pretty easily, a little wd-40, but when I put ISOs on, the glue was unbelieveable.
I don't know who put these on, Kawasaki or the previous owner, so it could be an issue

·
Premium Member
8,857 Posts
I was able to ape the clutch side off - even with the glue, it came off leaving just a little rubber glued to the bar.. I might start clutch-side just to see how hard it could possibly be to work on the throttle side..

Do Kawasaki use metal or plastic throttle tubes? .. The plastic used to make Honda tubes is really brittle, and breaks even with a slight amount of force..

Anyway.. You will get a good idea working on the clutch side, to see what you are likely up against throttle side..

·
Premium Member
8,857 Posts
Best of luck.. They are definitely worth having.. I run mine all the time during the winter..

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thanx
I was going to make a crack about winter in Arizona till I looked at the map
I remember one trip from Phoenix to Flagstaff in a blizzard, my defroster could not keep my windshield clear

·
Premium Member
8,857 Posts
thanx
I was going to make a crack about winter in Arizona till I looked at the map
I remember one trip from Phoenix to Flagstaff in a blizzard, my defroster could not keep my windshield clear
Yeah.. It was snowing a little today in Payson.. Was going to head up into Flag tomorrow, but.. .... May just head down the hill instead :)

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
supposed to hit 60 tomorrow, neighbor and I are going to do some running around, I think I guilt him, I ride in the 20's

·
Premium Member
8,857 Posts
Im thinking of trying these: Polly Heaters Handlebar Grip Heaters PH-200 fit inside bars.
I haven't seen these... kinda like them
I actually replaced a set of inside the bar grip-heaters with the above the bar kind like we were originally discussing.. The inside the bar heaters couldn't build up enough heat to really make an impact with those isogrips..

But that was a different brand too.. and these may work better.. For a little over 20 bucks, it might be worth the gamble..

·
Premium Member
8,857 Posts

·
Registered
5,352 Posts
They were a close cousin of these ... Heat Demon Harley Davidson Grip Warmer Kit - Clutch Side Mounted Controller - Heat Demon

Not sure about the output.. They got a good write-up, but they just couldn't push enough heat through the bars / throttle tube And the thicker grips.
If you think about it, putting a heater inside the bar is unproductive..the bar is thick steel and is connected to the frame and everything metal on the bike, so acts like the heatsink on your rec/reg or any other electrical circuit..In order to generate enough heat to warm the bars and the grips you would have to use a vast amount of current..

I use Saito heated grips which I switch to full power when my fingers get numb with cold, then when I feel the heat get through my gloves, usually about 60 seconds, I switch them off again, then repeat the cycle, this way my hands stay warm enough to function, my battery and charging system don't overload, and my grips don't burn out..

I have heard bad reviews about heated grips but I suspect this is from people who switch them on at the beginning of their ride and leave them on.. they probably burn out by the end of a winter or two..Use them as I do and they should last for many years..

John.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts