Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, new guy here waiting to become a full member and post in the other areas but I had a question that was concering me before I pull the trigger on an Aero 1100. (year 2000 with 7000 miles, clean shape)

I test rode the bike this weekend and everything looked, sounded, and felt fine... very similar to my 01 Sabre. But one thing that struck me as odd was that at idle, the handlebars bounced up and down, quite alot, it was very noticable. When I grabbed the bars it was not that bad, and once I was riding, it was no different than any other bike I have piloted.

But I had never seen a bike's bars bounce wildly like this. Even my old rubbermount 883r was still at idle.

Should I be concerned about this?

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Every device has a resonant frequency and it could be that idle is that sweet spot for your bars. Bar weights, crank type, idle speed, length + bend, etc all affect same. I'd suggest you start by pulling the throttle grip off and check for a factory installed bar end weight. If it has weights, you can supplement it with lead pellets and a solvent based sealant to fix it. Also ensure your risers are properly torqued down to the top tree.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I think the Aero is a single pin crank & the Sabre a double pin. I could be wrong on this. The single pin cranks were made to be a little rougher, more of a Harley feel. The double pins are supposed to have a little more power. I have never seen the 2 on a dyno, it would be interesting to see.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts