Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've ridden a lot of dual sports and small semi-auto motorcycles.. I've been wanting to try out a cruiser. Bought this as a bike to ride around for fun. The previous owner made a lot of modifications that I like.

2004, 750 Shadow Aero. 97,000 miles (!!!!!).

I've looked through it quite a bit and most other things still seem to work well. Aside from the issues listed below, the bike runs well, feels good, and sounds good.

- The clutch was slipping when I bought it, and I'm working on that now. I may try replacing just the springs first.

- I think there may be an issue with the cooling system as the engine feels pretty hot to me (though that's hard to judge, and perhaps it's not too hot). I've never seen the fan come on aside from when I grounded a wire to test it. There's no boiling over of coolant or high temp light.

- Other issue is that it doesn't start so well in cooler weather. And by cool, I only mean cool for Arizona. It cranks slowly. The battery is 4.5 years old, so I may try a new one. I believe the charging system is working correctly, but I might test it in more detail

My focus now is making sure the bike runs well, but I do have some other things I'd like to change
  • Handlebars (I don't like the appearance of these bars, and I think I prefer some that are not as high)
  • Possibly painting some parts (first would be the plastic engine covers. They're painted black now. I might strip and repaint some of them, trying to match the engine color)
  • And then other common Shadow changes like maybe making a wiring harness box/tank... a custom coolant reservoir, and some other things. But I won't spend much money modifying a bike so well-used

·
Registered
2002, Shadow Spirit 1100
2,260 Posts
Slipping clutches, I have used about 4 ounces of Lucas heavy duty oil stabilizer with great results. It seems to swell the clutches up some. There's probably nothing wrong with the cooling system. These bikes seem to put off a lot of heat. The fan rarely runs unless you have been running pretty fast and then stop in traffic or sit for a while. My bike, 2002 Spirit 1100 doesn't seem to like the cold either. I figured out I do have to use full choke below 50f. The bars look cool. Go for comfort on them though. That is a nice looking bike. I like the looks of the tank but to me for functionality, bigger is better. Enjoy the new ride.

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
17,731 Posts
Nice looking ride !

Take the radiator cap off when cooled down and make sure it is full to the top.
And look at the rubber seals on the cap.

Do this simple electrical test.

Put your meter across the battery and see if at rest it is at least 12.5 volts. May need a charge first.
Then watch it while you crank it for 10 seconds and it should be above 9.5 to 10 volts.
Then while running see if it can stay up to 13.5 to 14.5 volts as you rev it above 3000 RPM.
That will tell the basic health of the battery and charging system.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Take the radiator cap off when cooled down and make sure it is full to the top.
And look at the rubber seals on the cap.

Do this simple electrical test. [...details....]
Thank you, Swifty. I did all of those already, except for looking closely at the radiator cap rubber seals.

When I got the bike, the coolant reservoir was nearly empty. I filled that, then rode a few times but none of it got sucked in. When I opened the radiator cap, the coolant level was a little low, so I filled it up. That might have resulted in it running a little cooler more recently. I will still do some other checking just to make sure. (one is to look closely at the hose to the reservoir to make sure that is sealed well. Plus the cap seal, and some other steps I found recommended in another thread here)

For the electrical stuff, I've done those and all seemed good. Though I didn't test for a full 10 seconds of cranking, so I might do that another time. I cranked for a few seconds and it dropped to around 10.1. One thing I didn't test is whether the charging system continues charging properly after the bike is hot. (In the past, I had a regulator/rectifier fail on another bike. It would work while cold but then stop when warmer... but I don't think that's the problem here)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts