Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1994 Honda Shadow VT1100C. 1993 Honda VF750C Magna.
1,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been working away for a short while, ultra-busy and haven't really had time to contribute any of my usual British drivel.

Judging by the posts everyone else is OK.

Well, I got my Shadow out yesterday for the first time in almost 3 weeks. Weather was good, not too cold as long as plenty of layers were worn, and I set off for the coast, telling myself 'mirror, signal, manouvre'!

I shouldn't have bothered. 13 miles into my trip and a couple of young lads in a souped up Citroen, decided to stop without warning and for no discernable reason.

Luckily we weren't travelling too fast and I wasn't too close and I managed to combination brake/swerve and miss them. *Phew* Still, on to the coast and the tiny village of Walcott, stuffed to the gills with cagers who had also seen the sun come out!

I didn't stop there, I just turned around and headed for Potter Heigham and a nice cup of hot chocolate. Got chatting to a guy who had got back to bikes after 30 years and had bought himself a rather nice Triumph Bonneville. We went our separate ways; him to who-knows-where and me to Great Yarmouth, from whence I headed home

Later, people

Collector

·
Registered
258 Posts
Glad ya made thru.
Our weather is starting to get where I like to get out and ride now.......I hate the cold.....

·
Registered
943 Posts
collector.......if you rode through amersham, take some pics for me, especially the general hospital . i was born there

·
Registered
542 Posts
Collector

Glad to hear about your much needed ride! We are freezing here in FL, actually got down into the 20's the other night! :shock: Had to cover up the tropical plants and the well piping too! :evil:
All is well though, the weather is giving me time to change to a 39t sprocket on the 750 and put a new Avon on the back of the Valk! Had a flat last Sunday on the way over to Daytona. That sucked.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Lovely Hello

Hello Collector,

Thanks for letting us know you still here. We miss you too!! :p It's snowing right now as I am typing this in good ole Northern Virginia. They say it is suppose to flurry but i think its more than just flurries.

Winter Wonderland here.. Yack..!!!

I wish I was in merry ole England. Loved it when i was over there.

Ok.. I am lost for words.. Imagine that.. Me lost for words lol :shock:

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Re: Lovely Hello

blueeyes2114 said:
Hello Collector,

I wish I was in merry ole England. Loved it when i was over there.
And where in Goode Olde Englande were ye, m'dear? I am in the county of Norfolk, home of the turnip. That be on the east side, about halfway down, if you include Scotland. It are known for its flatness, on account of it not having any hillocks or mountings or simliar.

Although to contradict the statement of flatness, in my own fine city of Norwich, there is Ketts Hill, named after the famous rebel Robert Kett who were more famous after they hanged him than before, I would guess.

It also have Broads, known all over as The Norfolk Broads. But don't turn up expecting to find women of easy morals; what you will get are large expanses of water wot used to be peat diggings before they got filled up wiv H2O.

And of course, Trowse Treacle Mines, where they mine the finest treacle in Christendom. It is easy to fine as it is just the other side of the big cauliflower patch.

And now I must go. It is time for my medication.

Collector

·
Registered
8,119 Posts
I wondered where you had been. Now I know, just busy with life like so many of us are.

Glad your doing OK. Ride safe and keep collecting the Queens taxes. :)

Chris

( The Colonist from Yank Land )

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Gad to hear you got out Graham. Sometimes we need those periods when we can't ride to help us really appreciate it when we get back on the road.

Happy Trails!

SSLB John

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Christopher said:
Glad your doing OK. Ride safe and keep collecting the Queens taxes. :)

Chris

( The Colonist from Yank Land )
Chris

I was in Birmingham, hub 'o de universe an' simlar. I was working long days and to be quite honest by the time I had dived in de barf for a soak, had me dinner and written matchless prose about the day's two-faced lying gits I just couldn't be arsed to go down to the hotel lobby to log on and stuff.

On Wednesday, as an example, I was picked up from the hotel at 8.00am and we went off to look for someone I wanted to interview. Didn't find him so went on to the next call where I had a gross debt of around £0.3 million (about $600,000.00). As it turned out, the greater part of that was 'in the post' (yes it was - it came on screen the next day) but the balance of about £140,000.00 was in dispute and had been for 9 months.

We discussed the dispute and reasons for it. I went back to the hotel and spent till 11.15 in the evening analysing 4 years payments and liabilities from our internal system (which is crap) into a spreadsheet which I emailed them the next day.

Essentially I proved the underpayment and gave them 7 days tocome up with proposals to settle.

The way some people's accounts work, I am surprised they manage to stay in business. :D

So the opportunity to ride yesterday was ever so much appreciated. I needed to get my head back to what mattered in life!

Collector

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
sanoke said:
Gad to hear you got out Graham. Sometimes we need those periods when we can't ride to help us really appreciate it when we get back on the road.

Happy Trails!

SSLB John
Only 4 months to go, John. See ya soon.

Graham

·
Registered
296 Posts
Glad to see that you are back posting my English Bro :D . Your witt has been sadly missed hear by many a people. Yes Graham, i have missed you to. :roll:

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
aussieron said:
Glad to see that you are back posting my English Bro :D . Your witt has been sadly missed hear by many a people. Yes Graham, i have missed you to. :roll:
Do you mean "rhymes with WIT" , ron? :lol:

Collector

·
Registered
12 Posts
Graham, could you please post some pictures of abovementioned treacle mines? I always wondered what they looked like... I've read about them before in certain british publications by a man with a hat and a beard (not you).

·
Registered
4,833 Posts
I'd like to see a pic of those treacle mines, too, Graham. And I'm EXTREMELY hurt and disappointed that you did not conduct me to them during our visit. I'm a HUGE fan of treacle mines, and in fact have modified my gold detector to respond to treacle deposits. I can let you use it when you are here. In fact, I will insist that you do, and I will let you wear my treacle-hunting kit complete with dun-colored pith helmet as well.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
MikeB said:
I'd like to see a pic of those treacle mines, too, Graham. And I'm EXTREMELY hurt and disappointed that you did not conduct me to them during our visit. I'm a HUGE fan of treacle mines, and in fact have modified my gold detector to respond to treacle deposits. I can let you use it when you are here. In fact, I will insist that you do, and I will let you wear my treacle-hunting kit complete with dun-colored pith helmet as well.
Jumpin' Jehothophat, Mike, I thintherely hope you haven't developed a lithp. Becauthe if you have, you can keep your helmet, matey! I'll bring me own........

Obviously it would have been a privilige to take you to the actual mines themselves but the Health and Safety Police have decreed that only those with years of training and cerstificates to prove it are able to enter the hallowed portals of the mines.

Obviously, the Trowse mines are not exclusive to the world; back in Roman times they were mining for Treacle at Wymsey

http://www.wymsey.co.uk/wymsey/treacle.htm

Gosh, isn't nature wonderful? It's quite a good job this isn't a Treacle forum, I could go on for hours.

Mr Tate and His mate, Mr Lyle. Purveyors of Treacle, Black, to the cognoscenti.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Snufle said:
Graham, could you please post some pictures of abovementioned treacle mines? I always wondered what they looked like... I've read about them before in certain british publications by a man with a hat and a beard (not you).
Snufle, you old bugger!! How are you, man. Please find me a supplier of salty liquorice I can contact to import same to Chez Collector; I have nearly finished the last lot you brought over and am worried that I shall succumb to scurvy, rickets or something less appealing even than them if I have to go into cold liquorice turkey.

See also my response to MikeB's post.

Graham

1 - 18 of 18 Posts