Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, thanks for allowing me to join the community :) I bought a 2015 shadow aero a few weeks back, it's a real cream puff LOL 1,400 kilometers on her. (870 miles)

Unfortunately the bike didn't come with an owner/maintenance manual, so I'm searching google for that. I haven't ridden for 40 ish years though, so I'm signing up to a riding course in a few weeks.

So I'm studying the recommended government manual, (driving test is based on their manual) and figuring out what polish to use, as I can't ride till I'm licenced so I might as well make it look shiny LOL

In Coquitlam BC Canada, 10 miles up the creek (east) from Vancouver. "where it never rains" LOLOL

·
Registered
84 VT500C retro bobber
1,511 Posts
Welcome. Does it rain in the greater Vancouver area? Every time I visit there its like 30° and blazing sun. (I know I just have excellent timing) I love to Vancouver but absolutely detest driving in Vancouver. Never tried to ride there, maybe its easier.

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
14,439 Posts
Welcome to the forum. She is a beauty.
I had a 40 year break from riding too. Studied and practiced the riding course tests.
A lot of You tube videos on the various testing maneuvers.

Reactions: MrMac

·
Registered
2001 Valkyrie I/S
5,952 Posts
Welcome!

·
Registered
1995 VT1100C2
3,649 Posts
I am just down the road in Burnaby if you need any help with the bike/maintenance. As to riding, one of the best things I did was invest in proper riding gear. I was old school leathers and jeans but with a few hundred dollars, now have hi-vis, mesh, armoured, waterproof, removable liner, and thermal non abrasive underwear. I bought everything on-line at Fortnine and the difference is in comfort amazing.

·
Registered
5,908 Posts
Welcome, from Ontario.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am just down the road in Burnaby if you need any help with the bike/maintenance. As to riding, one of the best things I did was invest in proper riding gear. I was old school leathers and jeans but with a few hundred dollars, now have hi-vis, mesh, armoured, waterproof, removable liner, and thermal non abrasive underwear. I bought everything on-line at Fortnine and the difference is in comfort amazing.
Thanks! I ordered ramps from fortnine, but they came all bashed up, so I'm waiting on a return sticker from them. I'm considering installing a highway bar as well.
Do you check the oil with the bike standing up? and the dipstick screwed in? tia

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Welcome. Does it rain in the greater Vancouver area? Every time I visit there its like 30° and blazing sun. (I know I just have excellent timing) I love to Vancouver but absolutely detest driving in Vancouver. Never tried to ride there, maybe its easier.
yes, Vancouver traffic is just a thrill LOL I drove it for 40 years, so glad that I've retired now. As for rain? we get tons! hahaha this summer has been hot, but generally we have a lot of cloudy/rainy days. It's a north lattitude rain forest? I think.

·
Registered
1995 VT1100C2
3,649 Posts
Do you check the oil with the bike standing up? and the dipstick screwed in? tia
Bike should be upright and dipstick NOT screwed in, however I have done mine so many times that I now know exactly where the oil should be on the dipstick with bike on sidestand. These engines are not prone to using/burning or leaking oil if treated well so over the years I have begun to check oil less and less and now just change yearly as past of my storage routine.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts