Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just another guy on a Bike. Just got a smoking deal on a 05 1100 Sabre. 2561 miles on it for 3k 😎 been riding 30 something years. Always on Honda’s. This is by far the nicest sled I’ve ever owned.
I do have questions on saddle bag stays and bags. It seems this beauty has a stay on the left, but not the right. I’m no expert on stays and bags. Only hade one bike with bags on it and it came with them. This one is definitely going to need bags. So any suggestions on stays and bags would be appreciated. I got no idea if I want hard bags or leather. Even though I know I’m more likely to get leather.
Thanks in advance
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Fuel tank

·
Registered
2001 VT750 Shadow Spirit
299 Posts
Thank you. I really do enjoy the Shadow. It’s a pretty slick sled
Mine was an impulse purchase 4/18. Had never ridden or thought about it. Looking back now I wish I'd done it 30yrs ago.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Mine was an impulse purchase 4/18. Had never ridden or thought about it. Looking back now I wish I'd done it 30yrs ago.
My last two bikes were the 10 speeds one as a bobber, the other as touring. The CBc’s are awesome bikes. That said I have been eyeballing shadows since the 80’s and I am so very happy to have this one. Even though the seat is horrible. Learned that yesterday on a long ride.

bummer on the saddle bags as I can’t get the stays till November. That’s pretty late for the Colorado season.

·
Registered
56 Posts
My last two bikes were the 10 speeds one as a bobber, the other as touring. The CBc’s are awesome bikes. That said I have been eyeballing shadows since the 80’s and I am so very happy to have this one. Even though the seat is horrible. Learned that yesterday on a long ride.

bummer on the saddle bags as I can’t get the stays till November. That’s pretty late for the Colorado season.
Yes on the saddle, it took almost 6 months to get the mustang for my 03 VT1100 spirit

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Check around some of the local bike groups or shops. There’s usually ‘a guy’ that specializes in re-padding and re-covering stock seats to make them more ‘posterior-friendly’.
Good info. I found a saddlemens for $350 I can pull that off, but mustang seems to be what everyone recommends, not seeing much on the saddlemens. If anyone has some info on them it would be appreciated

·
Registered
2001 VT750 Shadow Spirit
299 Posts

Where did you ride? I ride with the mustang wide touring with backrest. At the time I purchased it mustang was 6 months out but found out that Dennis kirk had it in stock and cheaper than mustang. You might want to run the mustang part numbers to see what Dennis has in stock. Not sure if they sell corbin or other brands of seats but worth checking into it. A buddy of mine rides with a slip on seat pad her got from cycle gear that he is happy with. Not sure where in colorado you are located but aurora honda has all the old catalogs and books. I was able to see all the oem accessories honda offered for my 01 shadow spirit. Using the part numbers (even let me take pictures of the book pages) they gave me I was able to purchase on ebay the saddlebag mounts, radiator cowl, luggage rack and trunk bag. Haven't found a set of the saddle bags yet but did purchase a set of new viking bags off of craigslist that will work with the oem mounts. Might be worth checking with them for part numbers and anything else you might want to know about your bike. They also have a number of old honda's on display at the St. Francis motorcycle museum.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Where did you ride? I ride with the mustang wide touring with backrest. At the time I purchased it mustang was 6 months out but found out that Dennis kirk had it in stock and cheaper than mustang. You might want to run the mustang part numbers to see what Dennis has in stock. Not sure if they sell corbin or other brands of seats but worth checking into it. A buddy of mine rides with a slip on seat pad her got from cycle gear that he is happy with. Not sure where in colorado you are located but aurora honda has all the old catalogs and books. I was able to see all the oem accessories honda offered for my 01 shadow spirit. Using the part numbers (even let me take pictures of the book pages) they gave me I was able to purchase on ebay the saddlebag mounts, radiator cowl, luggage rack and trunk bag. Haven't found a set of the saddle bags yet but did purchase a set of new viking bags off of craigslist that will work with the oem mounts. Might be worth checking with them for part numbers and anything else you might want to know about your bike. They also have a number of old honda's on display at the St. Francis motorcycle museum.
That’s great info. Normally I’m out of Kremling, but recently we came down to Arvada to help my father in law as his health was tanking. He was a legendary Army Ranger. His son was trying to force him into a nursing home and the wife and I were not going to have that happen. He passed a few days ago ( R.I.P. ). Now it looks like we will be staying on the front range to take care of her mother. Always been a mountain boy, but family first, and who knows it might be fun down here for awhile

·
Registered
2001 VT750 Shadow Spirit
299 Posts
That’s great info. Normally I’m out of Kremling, but recently we came down to Arvada to help my father in law as his health was tanking. He was a legendary Army Ranger. His son was trying to force him into a nursing home and the wife and I were not going to have that happen. He passed a few days ago ( R.I.P. ). Now it looks like we will be staying on the front range to take care of her mother. Always been a mountain boy, but family first, and who knows it might be fun down here for awhile
My last long ride last season was Lyons to Estes over to grand lake and hot sulphur springs. Then onto Walden over to Masonville and back to Lyons. Sorry to hear of his passing but really nice that you are helping family. I do it daily for my parents so I fully understand what have to deal with.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
My last long ride last season was Lyons to Estes over to grand lake and hot sulphur springs. Then onto Walden over to Masonville and back to Lyons. Sorry to hear of his passing but really nice that you are helping family. I do it daily for my parents so I fully understand what have to deal with.
Yeah might have shared to much there. It is/ was a full time job, but someone has to do it and the others in the family just wouldn’t. Having a big heart can be very taxing, so two thumbs up to you.

·
Registered
2013 Honda Shadow Phantom 750
4,413 Posts
My condolences on your father in laws passing. Glad that you and your wife stepped up and did the right thing. My mother in law’s health took a down turn a few months ago and my wife and I have had to step it up. It does take a lot of time from other things but it is the right thing to do.

Eric

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 21 Posts