Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello im new here just got a 99 shadow ace 1100 and found this active forum so im stoked

im a bartender, one of my regulars went thru a real ugly divorce and just wanted his dead bike out of his life, and out of his ex wifes back driveway. i went over with a rented trailer and ripped all the stickerbushes off it and towed it home. $16 for the trailer and the bike was mine with a clean title. a bunch of gear included too. shoutout mark for being awesome.

i got a new battery, plugs, oil, filter, carb cleaner, and some fresh no ethanol 92 fuel, fired right up.

plan to drill the baffles out and ride it for a while and get comfy!
if anyones in the seattle area and wants to ride hit me up

·
Registered
2001 Valkyrie I/S
6,065 Posts
Nice, welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
15,589 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
02 1100 Spirit / 2012 Goldwing
4,979 Posts
Sweet! Welcome!

JUST RIDE !

·
Premium Member
4,588 Posts
Welcome aboard. :)

·
Registered
369 Posts
Welcome. I wish to win the Lottery someday too.

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
92 octane is a waste of money unless that's the only mix available in non-ethanol, otherwise 87 is just fine for shadows. B-12 is the most effective additive, inexpensive too.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I live up north in Everett, maybe I'll see you around!

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
thanks everyone!
been riding a little when the sun comes out, its a really fun bike.

plan to remove the baffles in the exhaust and maybe adjust the a/f in the next few days.

gave it a bath the other day, noticed the front right badge was kinda broken and chipped, so i pulled it off.
now i need to clean up the gunk. any advice or technique/solvent to remove the goop but not harm the clear coat? i thought of using goof off but it might be too strong?
should i take off the left one to match?

I live up north in Everett, maybe I'll see you around!
im from snohomish. the backroads out around machias, lake stevens, lake roesiger, monroe and further are my favorite areas to ride. so beautiful and really not too far away from everything. lets meetup sometime!

·
Registered
41 Posts
thanks everyone!
been riding a little when the sun comes out, its a really fun bike.

plan to remove the baffles in the exhaust and maybe adjust the a/f in the next few days.

gave it a bath the other day, noticed the front right badge was kinda broken and chipped, so i pulled it off.
now i need to clean up the gunk. any advice or technique/solvent to remove the goop but not harm the clear coat? i thought of using goof off but it might be too strong?
should i take off the left one to match?

im from snohomish. the backroads out around machias, lake stevens, lake roesiger, monroe and further are my favorite areas to ride. so beautiful and really not too far away from everything. lets meetup sometime!
that would be cool!

the owner that had my bike before me told me about how either he or someone else used a hole saw and cut the baffles out of my pipes. he gave me an extra set of pipes just in case i didn't like the noise. the loud pipes are really cool in my opinion. will probably just sell the extra exhaust he gave me.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
been riding this thing alot lately!
i like the motor, and the bike rides comfy.

CHECK YOUR TIRE PRESSURE REGULARLY

i changed the plugs, oil, filters, and shaft oil.
took off some things and cleaned it up. theres still a lil too much chrome for me.
the passenger seat was in bad shape. i really would love a whole new seat, mine is busting at the seams on one corner.
i wore down an old 2 1/8" holesaw in seconds trying to remove the muffler baffle lol. i ordered a bimetal one so those should be gone soon and it should sound better

really want to change the bars and risers. i dont know how much give i have on length for my controls.
i really like the biltwell chumps but dont want to get all new cables. would those fit?
any info on bars that would fit and not be so wide and swept back as the stock would be greatly appreciated

gonna try to find a more streamline rear luggage rack, and remove/replace/plastidip some of the random chrome covers
want to remove the chrome shields on the rear shocks at some point

this is how it sits now

·
Registered
13 Posts
Leave the tank emblem on the other side as is. Nobody can see both sides of the tank at the same time.
Be careful trying to remove the leftover adhesive from the tank. It is very tough. Any aggressive solvents like MEK will eat right through the paint. Any lesser solvents will just sit there. You might try hitting the adhesive with a hot air gun and hopefully it might come off bit by bit (don't count on it). If the tank has clear coat you might be able to take some fine wet-or-day paper to it. Or, if possible put the emblem back on & live with it.
I tried removing the decals from my tank and wound up painting the whole bike. Wound up doing it sooner than later.
Good luck.
Phil

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Leave the tank emblem on the other side as is. Nobody can see both sides of the tank at the same time.
Be careful trying to remove the leftover adhesive from the tank. It is very tough. Any aggressive solvents like MEK will eat right through the paint. Any lesser solvents will just sit there. You might try hitting the adhesive with a hot air gun and hopefully it might come off bit by bit (don't count on it). If the tank has clear coat you might be able to take some fine wet-or-day paper to it. Or, if possible put the emblem back on & live with it.
I tried removing the decals from my tank and wound up painting the whole bike. Wound up doing it sooner than later.
Good luck.
Phil
Thanks for the heads up. I took a heat gun to both sides of it yesterday! got the big heavier gunk from the right side, and it took the left emblem clean off. there is a bit of a 'shadow' id say from the dirt/years/whatever rested around the edge of the emblems. i used goo gone and it did pretty well removing the gunk, but theres still something there. the previous owner used a magnetic tank bag every single ride so the paint on my gas tank was already pretty bad. ive been researching a little, and i have a clay bar in my garage. next chunk of free time i get i plan to clay bar my tank and fenders then wax and polish. also still need to drill out the exhaust baffles

1 - 20 of 33 Posts