Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New member, have had my '06 Shadow Sabre 1100 for about 5 years, stock seat kept opening at the front seam so I upgraded the seat. Mustang seat arrived today in the mail and it was simple enough to install, it was missing the 10x32 x 3/4" bolts but Lowes had 4 for less than 2 dollars.

Also added the viking saddle bags, I think it looks pretty sweet and the bags match the seat pretty nicely.

Kuryakyn Iso grips arrived late tonight in the mail, looking to add those this week.

I want to look into front floorboards, anyone have any recommendations?

I'm also throwing around the idea of adding a front headlamp visor and possible fog light/bar so there will be 3 lights up front.

Does anyone use highway crash bars? I might want to add them for the added look.

Here are before and after pictures.
Tire Fuel tank Wheel Plant Automotive fuel system
Tire Fuel tank Plant Wheel Automotive fuel system

Hope everyone is enjoying the great riding weather.

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
19,676 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Very nice bike !

Reactions: gigemaggs99

·
Registered
2009 Shadow Spirit 750
460 Posts
..... re-read your post.... I have the crash/highway bars on mine, but not so much for the overall look, which I guess it adds to...but more so for long(er) rides it gives you a place to add highway platform pegs... I did cross country for Sturgis without it one year and swore never again... gotta have somewhere for stretching out your legs on long rides like that. Put them on soon as I got back... the ride the following year to Sturgis was sooo much better. :)

·
Registered
2013 Honda Shadow Phantom 750
4,572 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Your bike looks very nice with the new seat and bags.

Highway bars are indispensable to me. Mount highway pegs and aux lights there. I added my aux lights on the highway bars because it is a different look, that I really like, from the three in a row.

Eric

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Welcome to the forum. Your bike looks very nice with the new seat and bags.

Highway bars are indispensable to me. Mount highway pegs and aux lights there. I added my aux lights on the highway bars because it is a different look, that I really like, from the three in a row.

Eric

Very cool idea, do you have a picture? Are the aux lights controlled by a separate switch?

·
Registered
2013 Honda Shadow Phantom 750
4,572 Posts
Very cool idea, do you have a picture? Are the aux lights controlled by a separate switch?
If you are using a computer you can click on my scream name and it will take you to my profile where you can look at pics of the bike. I will also try to remember tonight or in the morning to post pics from my computer.

The short answer to the switch question is yes and no. I will try to explain,,,
I started by installing a small fuse panel in the bikes tool box and wired directly to the battery with 10ga wire. I then installed a tool pouch on the front forks. I then routed two wires from the fuse panel to the tool pouch, both 10ga 1 pos and 1 gnd. I installed two 12v relays, in the tool bag, to power the main headlight and the aux lights, one relay for high beam and one for low beam.

I then found the wires coming from the headlight switch, cut them and routed them to the relays. At that point they stopped being power wires and became trigger wires for the relays.

I then mounted the aux lights to the highway bars. I have one pair that is a wide angle (fog) lights and one pair that are narrow beam (driving) lights. I joined the + and - for each pair of lights and routed them to the tool bag and connected the wires to the proper relay. Low beam powers fog lights and high beam powers driving lights. Then connected the headlight wires to the correct relay. Made all the wiring look good and tucked in and,,,poof,,,all done.

Wiring it this way has a few advantages to just splicing into the stock headlight wiring. 1- all power is running through 10ga wires to the relays, bypassing the headlight switch, thus reducing the chance of overloading the headlight switch. 2- with the headlight switch being used only as a trigger for the relays it should last longer.

I also changed all bulbs on the bike to LED. By doing this I was able to add the aux lights in the front, aux tail and brake light and a strobe brake light to the rear. I calculated the total load of all the stock lights and then after all the changes calculated with the new lights and bulbs. The new setup came in just less than the stock setup.

I know this got long but I like to be thorough, hope it helps.

Eric

·
Registered
76 Posts
New member, have had my '06 Shadow Sabre 1100 for about 5 years, stock seat kept opening at the front seam so I upgraded the seat. Mustang seat arrived today in the mail and it was simple enough to install, it was missing the 10x32 x 3/4" bolts but Lowes had 4 for less than 2 dollars.

Also added the viking saddle bags, I think it looks pretty sweet and the bags match the seat pretty nicely.

Kuryakyn Iso grips arrived late tonight in the mail, looking to add those this week.

I want to look into front floorboards, anyone have any recommendations?

I'm also throwing around the idea of adding a front headlamp visor and possible fog light/bar so there will be 3 lights up front.

Does anyone use highway crash bars? I might want to add them for the added look.

Here are before and after pictures.
View attachment 301227 View attachment 301228

Hope everyone is enjoying the great riding weather.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Got the visor and grips installed, also removed the windshield for summer riding. Contemplating highway bars and front floorboards. This is next to my buddies ‘07 Sabre. Mine is on the left.
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Fuel tank Vehicle

Tire Plant Wheel Fuel tank Automotive tire

Wheel Tire Land vehicle Plant Fuel tank

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Fuel tank Plant

1 - 20 of 29 Posts