Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Honda Shadow Phantom 750
4,572 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Your bike looks very nice with the new seat and bags.

Highway bars are indispensable to me. Mount highway pegs and aux lights there. I added my aux lights on the highway bars because it is a different look, that I really like, from the three in a row.

Eric

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: gigemaggs99

·
Registered
4,572 Posts
Very cool idea, do you have a picture? Are the aux lights controlled by a separate switch?
If you are using a computer you can click on my scream name and it will take you to my profile where you can look at pics of the bike. I will also try to remember tonight or in the morning to post pics from my computer.

The short answer to the switch question is yes and no. I will try to explain,,,
I started by installing a small fuse panel in the bikes tool box and wired directly to the battery with 10ga wire. I then installed a tool pouch on the front forks. I then routed two wires from the fuse panel to the tool pouch, both 10ga 1 pos and 1 gnd. I installed two 12v relays, in the tool bag, to power the main headlight and the aux lights, one relay for high beam and one for low beam.

I then found the wires coming from the headlight switch, cut them and routed them to the relays. At that point they stopped being power wires and became trigger wires for the relays.

I then mounted the aux lights to the highway bars. I have one pair that is a wide angle (fog) lights and one pair that are narrow beam (driving) lights. I joined the + and - for each pair of lights and routed them to the tool bag and connected the wires to the proper relay. Low beam powers fog lights and high beam powers driving lights. Then connected the headlight wires to the correct relay. Made all the wiring look good and tucked in and,,,poof,,,all done.

Wiring it this way has a few advantages to just splicing into the stock headlight wiring. 1- all power is running through 10ga wires to the relays, bypassing the headlight switch, thus reducing the chance of overloading the headlight switch. 2- with the headlight switch being used only as a trigger for the relays it should last longer.

I also changed all bulbs on the bike to LED. By doing this I was able to add the aux lights in the front, aux tail and brake light and a strobe brake light to the rear. I calculated the total load of all the stock lights and then after all the changes calculated with the new lights and bulbs. The new setup came in just less than the stock setup.

I know this got long but I like to be thorough, hope it helps.

Eric

Reactions: gigemaggs99

·
Registered
4,572 Posts
Reactions: kesanders

·
Registered
4,572 Posts
Totally cool bikes.............I think I will stay with the Shadows for a long time. BTW: how is that Mustang seat? Good for long rides, like several hours? I heard they are the best, even better than the Corbins. That is my next purchase.......I just want a long ride comfort seat.
I put a Mustang Wide Tourer seat on my bike a couple of years ago. Makes a lot of difference!!! I would recommend the one that has the driver seat back, even if you don’t need it. There is a flap that covers the seat back socket if you don’t use the seat back. You cannot retro fit a seat back if the seat did not come with it. Of course my seat back was put in the seat when I installed the seat and has not been taken out.

I have not done a 100+ mile ride with it yet but I can tell the difference during my 45 mile each way commute to work.

Eric

1 - 4 of 4 Posts