Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I have done it now !
Been keeping my eye out for a low mileage cruiser a bit bigger than my VLX for a while now. A buddy of mine owns a bike shop about 30 minutes away, and he called yesterday and said he was holding a bike for me that I had to come look at right now !
So I hop in the cage (18 degrees out, lots of wind) and when I get there he rolls out a 1994 Magna !
I have been in love with the shape of the Magna for years, but they were always a bit pricey for my tastes. I had my gear with me just in case I wanted to take it for a spin.
Needless to say, the power is incredible ! I was super impressed by how easily it will putter around town too. An all around great bike that will serve me quite well.
I help out in the shop from time to time, and Bob thought now was the time to repay the favor....I am pleased to announce I am the proud owner of a red 1994 Magna with just shy of 19k miles !!!
Now where did I put my J&P catalog........

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I would love to share, unfortunatley my lack of computer prowess and perhaps one too many of my favorite adult beverage prevent me from doing so...
But, if you go to bobzbikz.com, its the 50th bike from the top ! Or you could just scroll down the page about 2/3 of the way. Cant miss it, its the only red Magna there !
I cant wait to get it home tomorrow and start tinkering with it and becoming more familiar with my new steed !

·
Registered
270 Posts
yldcats said:
I would love to share, unfortunatley my lack of computer prowess and perhaps one too many of my favorite adult beverage prevent me from doing so...
But, if you go to bobzbikz.com, its the 50th bike from the top ! Or you could just scroll down the page about 2/3 of the way. Cant miss it, its the only red Magna there !
I cant wait to get it home tomorrow and start tinkering with it and becoming more familiar with my new steed !

·
Registered
590 Posts
WOW, great looking bike. Congrats. :wink: I`ve never wanted to buy a bike with smaller CC`s than what I owned, but I do want a Mag. I have been sold on V4`s since my 1100 Mag. years ago. I really like looks of the Magum. :wink:

·
Registered
88 Posts
Re: Magna

My wife has a Magna, a 99 model which is essentially the same as yours. I bought hers 4 years ago. It had 2500 miles on it and it was in showroom condition, snagged it for 4900.00. It romps. I don't like the ergos on it myself but it will get up and go so be careful until you get used to it. Handles very differently than the VLX. If it were mine I would swap out the handlebars the stock ones are too low and forward for my tastes. One thing about it, get next to larger bikes and if they want to give you a run, you will embarass them. Did you get the rear seat pillion with it? It's missing that part of the seat in your photo.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Yldcats, congratulations on the Magna. My second bike is an '02. A great, sporty cruiser... more maneuverable than an 1100 Shadow with its smaller frame and 750 V4 motor. Here's mine with much aftermarket stuff (such as VTX headlight and Fenderwizard rear fender). Second photo is after I switched to LED taillight/brakelight combo.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Welcome to the V4 Cruiser Club!

Some quick mods/safety mods that you want to get done or have done (copied from ponyii from the Magna Riders Forum, http://forums.delphiforums.com/MagnaRider/start):

1. Stainless steel front brake line.....superior stopping ability.

2. Progressive fork springs.....reduces frontend dive and plants better cornering.

3. Dave Dodge jet kit.....smoother throttle response, removes lean stumble. This happens around 4000 to 4500rpm's.

4. Better shocks......handling, comfort. Progressives at top $ or used VTX1300s if you're cheap like me.

5. Change out the stock seat if your going to ride any distance.

Tons of other cosmetic mods (like the VTX headlight one mentione) that change the entire appearance and improve on an already great bike.

Grats again and don't be afraid to ride that bike! :D

·
Registered
871 Posts
Is the Magna still available from Honda or is discontinued? Years ago when we bought the SilverWing Interstate, deep down I really wanted to get the V45. They had 2 Silverwings on the floor along with a couple of v45 Magnas. We decided to get the Silverwing because of the saddle bags and I did like the fairing. I still never got over not getting the Magna. We had only been married 2 weeks and my life time savings account was burning a hole in my pocket. I paid cash for the Silverwing and should have still bought the V45 also but we had to get a dining room set hehehehehehehehe!

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
I have always liked the Magna and never got to ride one of the newer styles until Skinny's bro bought one that had issues. The carbs are a bit of a chore to get out, and his needed a new rectifier as well. Once up and running that thing was NICE!! Lots of power and a growl that you can't get out of your system. Light and powerful bike....very smooth...

Gonz

·
Registered
142 Posts
Per bigred1's recommendations:

1. Stainless steel front brake line.....superior stopping ability.

Did that. Good improvement.

2. Progressive fork springs.....reduces frontend dive and plants better cornering.

Haven't felt the need to change from stock yet. I don't do any 2-up riding on the Magna.

3. Dave Dodge jet kit.....smoother throttle response, removes lean stumble. This happens around 4000 to 4500rpm's.

Did this. Excellent improvement in responsiveness and flat spot in the midrange is gone. Decided not to do the K&N filter as many Magna owners have had problems with air leaks.

4. Better shocks......handling, comfort. Progressives at top $ or used VTX1300s if you're cheap like me.

Same as #2.

5. Change out the stock seat if your going to ride any distance.

I put on the Corbin Gunfighter. Great looking but a little hard. Mustang would be more comfortable, but the look just wouldn't be right.

Other than those, the best mod I have done is Mapam forward controls. Made the ergonomics MUCH more comfortable on one's back with feet slightly forward. I then added Cobra floorboards (which many Magna owners consider anathema) to support the heels and reduce fatigue. The forwards with floorboards is a real nice combo.

Then there are a million other things we could discuss like grips, engine guards (Hondaline only will fit with Mapams), windshields, luggage, bars, lights...

·
Registered
142 Posts
I also went to the V&H exhaust after tiring of Honda's sewing machine sound. The growl Gonzo is talking about is great!

·
Banned
4,110 Posts
yldcats said:
Well, I have done it now !
Been keeping my eye out for a low mileage cruiser a bit bigger than my VLX for a while now. A buddy of mine owns a bike shop about 30 minutes away, and he called yesterday and said he was holding a bike for me that I had to come look at right now !
So I hop in the cage (18 degrees out, lots of wind) and when I get there he rolls out a 1994 Magna !
I have been in love with the shape of the Magna for years, but they were always a bit pricey for my tastes. I had my gear with me just in case I wanted to take it for a spin.
Needless to say, the power is incredible ! I was super impressed by how easily it will putter around town too. An all around great bike that will serve me quite well.
I help out in the shop from time to time, and Bob thought now was the time to repay the favor....I am pleased to announce I am the proud owner of a red 1994 Magna with just shy of 19k miles !!!
Now where did I put my J&P catalog........
They are *great* bikes. I had a '95 and I moved up from it because it's not a great 2-up bike. But for solo riding, it's a fantastic blend of Cruiser ergos and sport-ish power. *thumbs up*

·
Registered
190 Posts
nice bike,I was gonna get 1 but someone got the 1 I wanted and bought the 2nd bike I liked & was watching :shock:

·
Registered
544 Posts
i *LOVE* the magna and had tried to get some money together to buy one from a forum member but i just couldnt - that bike is bada$$!

CONGRATS and have fun!!

·
Registered
4,833 Posts
Is the Magna still available from Honda or is discontinued?
I think they are both gone now. The original V45 and V65 Magnas went out of production in 1985 or '86, and the newer version which came out in the 90s is not in the lineup any more either. Although they shared the Magna name and were v-4s there were a lot of differences: shaft vs. chain drive, for one, and I think that the notoriously peaky early Magna engines were toned down some in the later iteration. I hope so, anyway -- my '82 V45 had little or nothing at low rpms, but at about 6000 would get on the cam and scream. Me, too, the first time I wrung it out. :lol:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts