Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

I'm a new member to this forum, I just wanted to give a quick intro.
I have been riding for about 10 years, but mostly on smaller bikes. I bought a Honda Shadow a couple years back, and recently discovered it has high oil pressure....strong enough to bend and almost completely pop off the oil filter. I assume it's the oil pressure relief valve, which is also what my mechanic said after he did a oil pressure test, which almost went off the meter's limit :(
The bike is a 2001 Honda Shadow Spirit 750. The bike has never been dropped, there's custom exhaust, and minimal rusting and pitting...I could have it all (but the exhaust) taken care of at a detailing shop. It's clean!

I bought a trailer and was considering doing the tear down myself, but I have never worked on bikes before, only cars. I am here to ask for advice?
How much time can I assume this will take, and what kinda cost? I have tools, but I'm a complete amateur on motorcycle mechanics. I have done engine swaps on cars, and done a lot of self repair, but I understand that getting to the oil pressure release valve requires almost a complete dis-assembly - splitting the crank case and diving in to the heart of the beast.

I love the bike, but my job is demanding (Long hours). I don't want to have a year long project in the garage, if you know what I mean...
Should I consider selling it? What can I expect? Should I sell it in pieces?
Any advice is welcome!!

Thank you all!!
LeadBelly

·
Registered
839 Posts
Welcome to the forum, sorry to hear about your problem. I'm assuming that you got a repair estimate from the shop and found it to be more expensive than you're prepared to spend?

I suppose you could try running some Sea Foam through the engine and see if it helps.

I would guess that if you're fairly comfortable tearing into car engines, you wouldn't have that big a deal with a bike's. I say: get a couple of good repair manuals (for cross referencing) and go for it. It'd be a good deal cheaper than having the shop tear into it for you.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts