Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New member here. I just got a 1984 Honda Shadow VT700, which is also my first bike. Picked it up as a project bike, and what a project it will be. I'm trying to diagnose why I can only get my bike to backfire. I did some searches, and it seems like what resolved their issue for them I've already tried. I tried to post a question in the tech discussion, but it says I dont have permission. Soo how does one earn the right to ask a question there?

·
Administrator
10,474 Posts
Welcome, post three separate threads in this section to fully activate your account. It's part of the antispam protocol so the moderators can ensure new members are not spammers

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hope that showed up. She needs some love, really hoping to get her running again soon after 10 years in the back of a garage. And yes those are tractor pipes.

·
Registered
11,599 Posts
Welcome. Yes a little love and she might be a great friend for a long time.

I would say make sure the plug wires are going to the correct cylinders. 1 coil fires 2 plugs on the same cylinder.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Welcome. Yes a little love and she might be a great friend for a long time.

I would say make sure the plug wires are going to the correct cylinders. 1 coil fires 2 plugs on the same cylinder.
This look right?

Attachments

·
Registered
11,599 Posts
That does look OK from here.
Also check the yellow and the blue wires on the coils. If they were to be reversed one coil to the other it will be out of time also. See if it looks like those have been off and moved.

Does the wiring look to have been tampered with?

There are no positive and negative marks on the coils so don't worry about .

·
Registered
11,599 Posts
Another thought. My 1983 750 is very easy to flood when it is cool out, and when it does, it backfires loudly . I let it sit and a few minutes later it starts up . Be easy on the choke.
You might pull the plugs and clean them as a starting point. And look to see the color of them, or wet, etc.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Another thought. My 1983 750 is very easy to flood when it is cool out, and when it does, it backfires loudly . I let it sit and a few minutes later it starts up . Be easy on the choke.
You might pull the plugs and clean them as a starting point. And look to see the color of them, or wet, etc.
I tried in a way to bypass the carb. Put some gas in a sparky bottle and misted a little gas down the intakes. Same result.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
About this Discussion
10 Replies
4 Participants
jmsanch
Honda Shadow Forums
Welcome to Honda Shadow Forum. Come in and discuss any Honda Shadow models: VT1100, VT250, VT750 and the VT500.
Full Forum Listing