Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Put hard bags on my 2010 Spirit. BTW. Mutaza bags (search for it) cheap, look decent. I'll post pics soon. Anyway...
Had to remove helmet lock that I actually use. Anyone have experience/recommendation for aftermarket helmet lock? What size are my frame rails? I'm too lazy to get off the sofa right now to measure.

thx!

·
Registered
758 Posts
Maybe I'm not understanding the question. When I got new bags for the bike, I just drilled a hole to keep the chain and same helmet lock....

·
Registered
330 Posts
when I moved mine, I took a small piece of flat metal, drilled the holes for the lock to fit, and 1 more and mounted it between the front fender and the forks. If you want I can get a picture of it for ya.

can't really make it out on my sig pic, but it's on the right side front tire.

·
Registered
587 Posts
when I moved mine, I took a small piece of flat metal, drilled the holes for the lock to fit, and 1 more and mounted it between the front fender and the forks. If you want I can get a picture of it for ya.

can't really make it out on my sig pic, but it's on the right side front tire.
Yes, please. I'm about to mount some Mutazu bags on my Aero and want to move/replace the helmet lock, so this thread is timely. Thanks in advance, and thanks to all for some great suggestions.

·
Registered
4,827 Posts
They do seem to put the helmet locks in the dumbest places, don't they? They are always a pain the butt to use. I mostly just hang it from the handlebars. Haven't had one stolen in 40 years. I guess if someone wanted mine that bad, they can have it.

·
Registered
673 Posts
They do seem to put the helmet locks in the dumbest places, don't they? They are always a pain the butt to use. I mostly just hang it from the handlebars. Haven't had one stolen in 40 years. I guess if someone wanted mine that bad, they can have it.
That is what I figure. Never had a problem. I leave my jacket on the sear most of the time too.

I am sure one of these days it will bite me on the ass.

·
Registered
330 Posts
ok, so here's what I did. I got a small piece of flat stock and cut it to a little bit bigger than the lock assembly and about an inch longer so it can attach to the fender mount, drilled the holes and painted it black:

With this angle you can see where I attached it:

and from the back:

that's just a bigger washer to prevent it from pulling through. and that is the bolt (to the upper right of the washer) to attach the fender to the forks that I used to attach the lock

Hope this might give you some ideas.

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
That is what I figure. Never had a problem. I leave my jacket on the sear most of the time too.

I am sure one of these days it will bite me on the ass.
It bit me in the ass last fall. Had both my helmet (sitting on the sissy bar) and my jacket (draped over the helmet) stolen off my bike. I've used the helmet lock ever since and take my jacket with me most times. I'm planning on purchasing some sort of large lockable trunk for this season.

·
Registered
587 Posts
ok, so here's what I did. I got a small piece of flat stock and cut it to a little bit bigger than the lock assembly and about an inch longer so it can attach to the fender mount, drilled the holes and painted it black:

With this angle you can see where I attached it:

and from the back:

that's just a bigger washer to prevent it from pulling through. and that is the bolt (to the upper right of the washer) to attach the fender to the forks that I used to attach the lock

Hope this might give you some ideas.
Thanks for taking the time to send the pics through. I'm sure a few of us will find this helpful. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Here's an idea, get yourself a gun padlock, the cable type, there small and you can lock your helmet on the bike in many different places.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I just bought a motorcycle lock cable and carry with me run it through the helmet and jacket seen many people get theirs stolen at the motorcycle races

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Here's an idea, get yourself a gun padlock, the cable type, there small and you can lock your helmet on the bike in many different places.

That's what I do. I have one for the extra helmet I carry sometimes. Also got one with a longer cable so I can lock my jacket to the bike if need be.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts