Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

· Premium Member
8,941 Posts
Mmmmmm... I watched a couple of videos.. In real life, do you think they may distract from the bike's brake lights and signals? ..During daylight they don't seem too bright either..

Thing is, since this light is mounted on your helmet, and your head is always moving left and right, even signals may be obscured or just look like flashing Amber lights if you are looking left or right, as the signals would only really work well if you are always looking forward..

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwaQHydISJA

On a helmet, a piece of high-viz, reflective or white tape would probably be as conspicuous, a white helmet would work as well by itself without flashing distractions I would think..

Just my opinion and I'm all for being conspicuous, but I see drawbacks with flashing head mounted LEDs.. I think they would likely cause confusion and ultimately be more trouble than they are worth..

· Premium Member
8,941 Posts
If you just want brighter signals to realy your intentions. I would look into things like plasma rods.. You could run an additional super-bright brake light under the rear lip of your seat for example, or maybe some turn signals on each side of the fender.. All kinds of extra bright attention getters out there..

A headlight modulator, or a brake light flasher... That kinda thing too..

· Premium Member
3,352 Posts
Hi-Viz tape gets my vote.

· Registered
1,159 Posts
Shark and some other brands make helmets that glow in the dark.
I wear a white helmet and high viz textile jacket with reflective piping, my bike has some Yamaha logo reflective tape on the bags and me thinks many confuse the tuning forks logo for sheriff logos since cages will come up next to me on the super-slab but will not pass for miles.

· Registered
99' Valkyrie/North Central Indiana
10,498 Posts
Our rearends are the most vulernable and protecting us from that point of view brings up alot of options but bottom line our awareness is our best defense. Anotherwords we need to use our mirrors no matter the preventive features we use to protect our rears. Making sure our lights are in working order (quick check) is a must. Its all about how much you want live to ride another day. Theres many things one can do with a legal stock lighting setup to get folk from behind to be aware of you. A quick double tap of the brake lever before fully braking. Give turn signals more time activation. In front, a quick flip of hi/lo switch to waiting vehicle contemplating wether they can pull out in front of you.

· Registered
11,305 Posts
I'll bet that someone, somewhere has been behind someone wearing those lights on their helmet and ended up almost hitting the bike because they were looking at the helmet lights sparkle...:neutral:

Why not go full body LEDs....Like a Rhinestone Cowboy, ridin' out on a horse in a star spangled rodeo. Sing it with me......:roll:

· Registered
11,305 Posts
Our rearends are the most vulernable and protecting us from that point of view brings up alot of options but bottom line our awareness is our best defense. Anotherwords we need to use our mirrors no matter the preventive features we use to protect our rears. Making sure our lights are in working order (quick check) is a must. Its all about how much you want live to ride another day. Theres many things one can do with a legal stock lighting setup to get folk from behind to be aware of you. A quick double tap of the brake lever before fully braking. Give turn signals more time activation. In front, a quick flip of hi/lo switch to waiting vehicle contemplating wether they can pull out in front of you.
Oops:oops: +1 to this ^ before lighting up.

· Premium Member
8,941 Posts
I'll bet that someone, somewhere has been behind someone wearing those lights on their helmet and ended up almost hitting the bike because they were looking at the helmet lights sparkle...:neutral:

Why not go full body LEDs....Like a Rhinestone Cowboy, ridin' out on a horse in a star spangled rodeo. Sing it with me......:roll:
:shock: ... OoooOoOOoOo I LOVE That Song! :D

....Like a rhinestone cowboy ..ph-ph-phhhh.. Like horse and a dog and wife you don't wanna know.. Duh-duh-duhm...

Take it away ...???? ... Vito! :mrgreen:

· Registered
4,627 Posts
I put a couple rectangle reflecters on the back of my back rest. I also have a GMax and you can have it just stay on or blink slow or fast, if I use it I just turn it to on so as to not be confusing. I really haven't used it much since I put the reflecters on though.

· Registered
4,833 Posts
If you have a place to mount a $10 LED truck brake light from Harbor Freight you can try my solution. At eye cager level it MIGHT help somebody notice that I'm stopping.

· Premium Member
3,352 Posts
For $6.99 each, Autolumination makes a tiny red LED called an Eagle Eye....puts out 200 lumens, which is more than most flashlights.
Eagle Eye 3 Watt Accent Indicator Light
12 Volt
200 Lumens
Fits thru 1/4" thru hole
1/2" face nut
3/8" back nut
All Metal
Waterproof
Will flash, if used as turn signals.
Or simply wire it in with your brake lights.
3 of those, mounted near the top of your backrest....

autolumination.com/indicator.htm

This is an outfit that got a lotta BAD reviews, awhile back.
If I had been interested in reviews, that might have stopped me right there.
I have no connection with them, except as a satisfied customer.

I've ordered stuff for my bike + friends' bikes; everything has been top-notch, in 6 orders.
On two occasions, I have called them with specific questions....and got sensible, polite answers, geared to my level of understanding.

Didn't aim to write a sonnet.

· Registered
5,354 Posts
For all of you that said Hi Vis will make a biker stand out.. There is a video on youtube of a motorcycle traffic cop waiting at the front of a traffic light queue for the lights to change, lots of lights on the bike and full Hi Vis, the guy in the car in the next lane to him guns his car and jumps the red light.

I think it is listed as "proof that Hi Vis doesn't work"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hl2u7gdUQig

And here's another..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGQFLD6kIhU

John.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.