Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought a Shoei RF-SR last summer and it’s mostly comfortable except for the forehead, which is too tight and doesn’t feel good when I ride. Turns out I’m probably a better candidate for an Arai helmet given my head shape. The Shoei has about 900 miles on it total and is still in great condition. I’ve tried a thinner internal cushion but it hasn’t helped much. Is there any way to safely remove some of the harder foam in the forehead area or is this going to degrade the safety of the helmet and/or be uncomfortable in its own way? Should I try this or am I better off selling the helmet used and getting a new Arai?

·
Registered
2007 VT750DCA7 Spirit - NHB01 Black
477 Posts
Sell IMO. From everything I have read you should never modify the internals of a helmet beyond what the manufacturer allows, so if the internal padding can’t be adjusted or changed to fit then it’s the safest bet to change the entire helmet.

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
13,430 Posts
Maybe write to Shoei and see if they have a safe solution.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I found some interesting information about adjustments I can make to the helmet without damaging it and in hopes of avoiding having to replace it. For anyone who’s interested, see How to solve helmet hot spot problem and look for the Raising the helmet position section. I added some foam to the top of the helmet to distribute the weight better and so far it seems to be helping.

Ride for about 4 hours this last weekend and my forehead was really uncomfortable. Will see how much time this method buys me and report back. So far it’s better for sure.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts