Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello! My bike carburetor was overhauled and serviced. Went on a ride in Arkansas and it shut off when I got up to speeds between 65 - 70 mph. Has anyone had experience with this? I took bike in, initially for this reason the first time. Mechanic said it was the carburetor. I don’t want to get rid of it but I need some direction on what to do with it. Please help a lady rider out!

·
Registered
1999 Shadow 750 ACE VT750CD3
2,217 Posts
Do you have another mechanic you can get a second opinion from?
How many miles on the bike?

I'm not that familiar with the later Aero fuel systems and I hope others more experienced will comment.
I do know the 2018 doesn't have a carburetor it is fuel injected.
My first guess would be a fuel issue, is there any chance it got some bad gas along your travels.
It is likely a minor problem and definitely no reason to get rid of the bike.

·
Registered
148 Posts
It could be that it's getting too much air at those speeds. My 750 DOHC chopper has K&N filters on it, and it would start to bog down. I had to restrict the amount of air intake.

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
13,433 Posts
That is pretty suspicious with a carb when the newer bikes have fuel injection. What was overhauled ???
There were a couple of guys on here that had fuel starvation and the fuel pump was failing. In the tank units.

·
Registered
1995 VT1100C2
3,337 Posts
Bring it back to the mechanic. Ask them where the carburetor is. Ask how you got a 2018 that color and paint scheme.

·
Registered
1999 Aero 1100
69 Posts
ask the mechanic about the carb rebuild, for a carb that doesn't exist, and would he consider returning the $ for the carb rebuild

·
Registered
1999 Shadow 750 ACE VT750CD3
2,217 Posts
Once again we need more info. (-;
That could really change things up.

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
this is ridiculous. If the poster doesn't post back and clarify the year of the Aero, why guess the year? The year is relevant to determine whether its a carburetor or FI fuel system. To her credit she did post a pic of the bike.

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
13,433 Posts
Remember the old computer saying of years ago= "Garbage in-Garbage out".
That's why we need the complete and accurate info in everybody's signature.

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Well, I suppose people get busy and sometimes too busy to reply back with the necessary info. But for a smidgen of courtesy, the poster could save hundred of dollars. Of course, it's not always the case. Then for this problem I think we know the likely culprit.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Kinda judgmental already ain't we? Some people are still working. Maybe she can only access the net for personal use from home during a certain time. Maybe she is saving a life somewhere.
She's a member for 7.5 years and this is her first post/request. I gonna bet she scanned the forum for resolution before posting too... (Cup 1/2 full is me)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hello! My bike carburetor was overhauled and serviced. Went on a ride in Arkansas and it shut off when I got up to speeds between 65 - 70 mph. Has anyone had experience with this? I took bike in, initially for this reason the first time. Mechanic said it was the carburetor. I don’t want to get rid of it but I need some direction on what to do with it. Please help a lady rider out! View attachment 285663
I’m sorry, my bike is a 2008 (Typo)!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Kinda judgmental already ain't we? Some people are still working. Maybe she can only access the net for personal use from home during a certain time. Maybe she is saving a life somewhere.
She's a member for 7.5 years and this is her first post/request. I gonna bet she scanned the forum for resolution before posting too... (Cup 1/2 full is me)

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
We're in lockdown where I'm at (mandatory shelter at home) and everybody except "essential services" aren't working.

To begin with, would you check for any recalls that apply to your bike at .....

1 - 20 of 38 Posts