Honda Shadow Forums banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
06' VT1100C99' GL1500C Valkyrie
8,447 Posts
"Put in 1/2 can of Seafoam to a full tank of fresh gas and call me in the morning"

Probably have same issue at continual lower speeds/high rpm's. About $15 locally to do this experiment.

UPDATE:

GAS INCLUDED @ $1.80
a gallon :giggle:

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
13,433 Posts
Walmart has Seafoam for about $7.00.

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
13,433 Posts
Maybe the plug chop test may give a clue. Run it pretty hard up to the failure speed and shut it off and safely coast over to the side of the road and pull spark plugs to compare colors. Too lean or rich ?

·
Registered
1999 Shadow 750 ACE VT750CD3
2,217 Posts
The plugs may give you a clue.
Does it shut off at 65 - 70 like somebody turned off a switch or does it start to splutter and die unless you back off?
I'm thinking the slide diaphragm in the carb may have a tear or holes.
Luckily the carb is relatively easy to get to on the Aero.
Another possibility is the rubber carb boot that attaches it to the the manifold leaking, but that usually doesn't kill things out right and just starts a misfire and limits the RPM.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Hello! My bike carburetor was overhauled and serviced. Went on a ride in Arkansas and it shut off when I got up to speeds between 65 - 70 mph. Has anyone had experience with this? I took bike in, initially for this reason the first time. Mechanic said it was the carburetor. I don’t want to get rid of it but I need some direction on what to do with it. Please help a lady rider out!
I had a similar issue with my `04 Sabre. I took it into the shop for a carb rebuild. When I got it back it would top out at 70 and sputter like crazy. The shop tried telling me the carbs were bad and needed replacing after they rebuilt them. I decided rather than put money into new ones I would take a look at them first. When I took them apart I could tell the problem right away, when they were put back together the floats weren't adjusted properly, 1 was bent out of shape. After looking here I found someone that had done the adjustment with pictures. Granted that was 10 years ago now, and I can't find the post. but I am sure if you look around a little you can find out how to set them properly.

I would be looking for a different mechanic though, if I was you. A good mechanic should be able to tell you why the carb is bad, even show you. it sounds like he may be just guessing at this point so he doesn't have to tear it apart again. He sounds more like a parts changer, than a mechanic.

Just my two cents worth.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Do you have another mechanic you can get a second opinion from?
How many miles on the bike?

I'm not that familiar with the later Aero fuel systems and I hope others more experienced will comment.
I do know the 2018 doesn't have a carburetor it is fuel injected.
My first guess would be a fuel issue, is there any chance it got some bad gas along your travels.
It is likely a minor problem and definitely no reason to get rid of the bike.
I have a 2015 750 Shadow Aero and its fuel injected, I would definitely ask another mechanic!!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello! My bike carburetor was overhauled and serviced. Went on a ride in Arkansas and it shut off when I got up to speeds between 65 - 70 mph. Has anyone had experience with this? I took bike in, initially for this reason the first time. Mechanic said it was the carburetor. I don’t want to get rid of it but I need some direction on what to do with it. Please help a lady rider out! View attachment 285663
I would go back with another mechanic and ask the one who said he rebuilt your carbs to point them out to you!!

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
13,433 Posts
It is a 2008 Aero model with 1 carb.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Does it shut off at 65 - 70 like somebody turned off a switch or does it start to splutter and die unless you back off?
I'm thinking the slide diaphragm in the carb may have a tear or holes.

The description in the original post stated that the engine "shuts off" as opposed to "sputters off." That's the reason I recommended the poster search Honda's recall list which dealt with that specific issue.

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
13,433 Posts
We ought to have a check list with terms that are standardized.=
Does it hesitate or misfire?
Does it slow down or die?
Sputter or cuts out on one cylinder only?
Does it not turn over , or do you mean it turns over with the starter, but doesn't fire up?

It sure would help is we got the direct diagnosis from the get go.

Attachments

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
13,433 Posts
When doing diagnostics at the dealerships I worked for, a customer would have a vague descritption, and we wondered =does this happen only at midnight in July, driving up the pass at 52 MPH? And I am supposed to duplicate it?

·
Registered
1999 Shadow 750 ACE VT750CD3
2,217 Posts
The description in the original post stated that the engine "shuts off" as opposed to "sputters off." That's the reason I recommended the poster search Honda's recall list which dealt with that specific issue.
You are obviously better informed than me, the only recall that comes to my mind is the memory of potential for a petcock leak or something similar.
I guess that could do it though.

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Yes, that's the ballpark issue. Honda issued that around 2008. I'm not sure if it included the Aero. Or if it was, the PO took the bike in.

[edit] I would have searched myself, but it requires the vin.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My wife's 2009 Aero is having the exact same symptoms, so please report back if you solve it. I was going to inspect the fuel filter and possibly the fuel pump, but I can't seem to find either on the parts diagrams.

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Just so we're not talking apples to oranges, is your symptom the bike shuts off when the speed is increased to 65-70mph or above? Secondly, that the issue doesn't happen at lower speeds, in other words, the issue occurs around a 65-70 mph threshold?

If so, would you submit your vin into the search pane at .....

*The second link (gray rectangle) is Honda's Australian website but motorbike specific.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts