Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1998 Honda Shadow VT1100C3
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Morning,
I tried finding info before posting but as my location prevents me from going to a shop to buy spark plug wires, I have to buy them online and have them shipped here...

I will be buying them (as well as other parts: Stator, Rectifier, etc) on Amazon but am having a LOT of issues finding something that will fit on my 1998 Shadow VT1100C3.
It either says its not for my vehicle or it doesn't seem to have the right connectors.
I understand it will be a universal set/kit but I want to make sure it will fit before I buy it and have it shipped internationally...

Can anyone please recommend a product on Amazon that will work for me?
(link would be appreciated as I will be buying them today or tomorrow morning as it will take 2-3 weeks to get here minimum)
Also, should I get 7mm or 8mm ?

Thanking you in advance for your help,
Z.

·
Registered
879 Posts
The Spark plug wire should be available from any Hardware store, just 7mm stranded metallic wire like any small engine uses. Hardware stores here sell it by the foot. The ends can be gotten from any auto parts store that sells NGK, check the shop manual to be certain, but I believe Honda uses the 5K ohm ones. Get part number and stock number, check with local auto parts store:
https://assets.sparkplugs.com/lc/NGK_Resistor_Covers.pdf

Bought my last two rectifiers from Roadstercycle.com Mounted the much larger SH847 to the frame tube behind the original mount on my VT1100T with 2 P clamps. Adel # 16.

Edit: there are a lot of counterfeit rectifiers on Ebay/amazon being sold as the FH020 and SH770, maybe SH847, shop carefully.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The Spark plug wire should be available from any Hardware store, just 7mm stranded metallic wire like any small engine uses. Hardware stores here sell it by the foot. The ends can be gotten from any auto parts store that sells NGK, check the shop manual to be certain, but I believe Honda uses the 5K ohm ones. Get part number and stock number, check with local auto parts store:
https://assets.sparkplugs.com/lc/NGK_Resistor_Covers.pdf

Bought my last two rectifiers from Roadstercycle.com Mounted the much larger SH847 to the frame tube behind the original mount on my VT1100T with 2 P clamps. Adel # 16.

Edit: there are a lot of counterfeit rectifiers on Ebay/amazon being sold as the FH020 and SH770, maybe SH847, shop carefully.
Thanks for the info on the rectifier, I did notice a LOT of either cheap chinese crap (Caltric, etc) but I went with the Electrosport Rectifier ESR120 and Electrosport Stator ESG085, which were both recommended and from a reputable Amazon supplier.

As for the wires, as I mentioned previously, I do not have access to any auto shop store or even hardware store that have any of that in stock, everything is is "special order" and take a minimum of 6 weeks to receive.
All I was able to find was wire (8mm only) sold by the foot but no connectors that would fit on the bike, only one shop (very far away from me) said they would make them for me but the price was ridiculously high.

So I thought I would be able to find Universal motorcycle Spark Plug Wire Set/Kit on Amazon I could buy, modify and install. (just like I found on sites like BikeBandit... but can't seem to find those anywhere on Amazon....

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
06' VT1100C/99' GL1500C Valkyrie
8,938 Posts
This is assuming your boots are still good shape, you can rebuild them with 7mm wire as mentioned. Be sure to remove 5000k resistor by unscrewing the brass sleeve in the spark plug end before dismantling. Using LOTS rubbing alcohol to assist taking apart. Pay attention/mark where the lengths needed to position the boots etc.You will have to desolder/solder the resistor contact on the old wire.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This is assuming your boots are still good shape, you can rebuild them with 7mm wire as mentioned. Be sure to remove 5000k resistor by unscrewing the brass sleeve in the spark plug end before dismantling. Using LOTS rubbing alcohol to assist taking apart. Pay attention/mark where the lengths needed to position the boots etc.You will have to desolder/solder the resistor contact on the old wire.
Yes my boots are still in good shape but, sadly, I am not equipped to do that (soldering) and that is why I was looking to get a kit like the one I posted above (wire 48" long with connectors at both ends, cut it to size and insert other end into matching coils.... or so I thought...loll
Guess its going to turn out to be more complicated than I thought and will probably end up keeping the ones I have on for a while or until my next vacation out of the country, when I am somewhere where I can easily find what I need and get them done before I come back to Belize.

At this point and as I have to complete my order no later than Friday morning to have it shipped to someone coming here in 3 weeks... I might just buy the rectifier & stator for now.

I was told my rectifier is the problem and not working at all anymore, I am just changing the stator because it was recommended to do both at the same time.....

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
14,943 Posts
That kit from Amazon looks pretty good as an easy fit. Suppression wires, but no end caps with resistors.
It would be best to find 7MM wires if you have the factory coils.
The 7MM wire ends slide INTO the coils, so 8MM will be too thick.
But I suppose a guy could shave 1MM down on about a 1/4 inch of the end to fit and do no harm with 8MM wires.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That kit from Amazon looks pretty good as an easy fit. Suppression wires, but no end caps with resistors.
It would be best to find 7MM wires if you have the factory coils.
The 7MM wire ends slide INTO the coils, so 8MM will be too thick.
But I suppose a guy could shave 1MM down on about a 1/4 inch of the end to fit and do no harm with 8MM wires.
I currently have 8mm on it now (boots are in good condition but not sure if they have end caps with resistors?) and they were reduced a little to fit into the factory coils, I thought of changing them as I will be placing an order in the US, have it delivered to someone I know coming into the country soon.

I was told it was my Rectifier that was the problem, but didn't check it myself. The same person was the one recommending I change the Stator at the same time as I am ordering stuff but I find it a bit expensive... I would really like to test them myself but not sure of the procedure to follow to test AND I do not have a multimeter either..... stuck between a rock and a hard place.... lol.

If I can start the bike and get there, I will go back to see him tomorrow (he has a good multimeter) and I would really like to properly test both the Rectifier & Stator to be sure.... looking for the procedure on the forum now so I know what to do tomorrow ;-)

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
14,943 Posts
Videos for testing=

·
Premium Member
1999 Shadow 750 ACE VT750CD3 Modified
3,141 Posts
For 7mm wire core plug wires a small engine/motorcycle/outboard shop may be able to help you out and possible make them up.

·
Registered
8,938 Posts
I was told my rectifier is the problem and not working at all anymore, I am just changing the stator because it was recommended to do both at the same time.....
Check the 3 yellow wire plug that comes from the stator. Very common problem to make you think you have other problems. Easy to butt splice and shrink wrap.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sorry in the delay in posting my reply (and thanks!)... It took me a few days to be able to properly test and diagnose the problem I had...

It turns out it is in fact the rectifier !! (failed tests)
The stator passed the test.. but it also turns out that bike had issues with the connector of the 3 yellow wire and had been direct connected.
Sadly it showed signs of overheating again (butt connector discolored and brown/blackish...no melting)...
Is that the cause of the issues I had been having and led to the rectifier giving out??

When I receive the new rectifier (Electrosport) I will do a better connection than the one there now... not sure where I will find proper heat shrink tubing so I will probably have to do it with butt connectors again !!!
If there is a better solution with basic stuff, please let me know as everything besides electrical tape is difficult to find here !!

I also noticed that my rear brakes are done!! Had no choice but to order them right away as it is metal on metal and would damage the disk otherwise... good thing I saw that before I placed my order online...

As the person gracious enough to allow me to ship it to them in the US and bringing it in for me has very very limited luggage space.. i could not ask to bring any more.... so the rest (spark plug wires, grips, etc) will have to wait until later.
All I hope now is that the stator is in fact ok and didn't need to be replaced....

Thanks for all your help and links... much appreciated.

·
Registered
8,938 Posts
Heat shrink is available just about everywhere here. I would use uninsulated butt splice with shrink wrap for corrosion resistant connection. In your case, stuff RTV silicone up into the insulated butt splices to help with corrosion.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
got a hair dryer or heat gun? something like these may be the easy, possibly the best answer.

Edit: maybe cut up a pop to make a funnel to concentrate the heat.
Only wish I had access to that here... took me over a week just to find a cheap (chinese made - no name) butt plug... and they are out !!!
So that is why I was asking for the best way to connect them using electrical tape (or butt plugs if I can find them in the next 2 weeks).

I have a friend going to a more "commercial area" next week, I asked him to look for shrink wrap and butt plugs if he doesn't find any (most likely!! llol) ** Fingers crossed **

·
Premium Member
1999 Shadow 750 ACE VT750CD3 Modified
3,141 Posts
Around here with our version of English* I'd look for a for a butt connector, if I asked for a butt plug and they'd send me to the adult sex toy store. (-;

* I speak Southern UK English, Canadian English, and US American English all of them claim to be the same language, often making for a world of confusion.

·
Registered
8,938 Posts
I believe OP lives in Belize which from I what hear from a friend who lived there part time, very remote place unless you live near Belize City. My friend liked the rain forest and the local folk very much but health and land ownership got to be an issue.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts