Honda Shadow Forums banner

Help - Bike will only run on full choke

43K views 23 replies 14 participants last post by  tnichols 
#1 ·
First of all, I tried to post this in the technical section, but my limited access only allows me to post here. So here we go. Hopefully someone can help.

A 2002 VT750 ran perfectly for years. Then it sat for 4 to 5 weeks. Now it will start up on full chock, but dies if you try to open the throttle.

4 to 5 weeks is not really enough time for the gas to clog the carburetor jets. But just to cover all bases, a pint of SeaFoam was dumped in the gas tank while the engine was running on full choke. Then it sat for a few days to let the SeaFoam work, but no change.

All signs point to the engine not getting enough gas. But it idles nicely on full choke. As soon as you try to open the throttle, you get a carb fart and the engine dies.

It looks like this beast has a fuel pump on it. Are the fuel pumps prone to failure? If the fuel pump was defective, would it still run on full choke?

Has anyone experienced this problem before?

Any suggestions for troubleshooting? I do not have a repair manual.

Thanks...

See less See more
#5 ·
all of the above could be causing your problem.
pull the fuel line from the pump, place it in a bottle and crank it see if you have flow, if so unscrew the drain on the carb bowls make sure they have fuel in them, use something to under them to catch any fuel that may come out, and be carefull.
if so pull the carbs and clean them real good, all jets and passages.

heres a link for the ACE manual, the other 750's are also listed in the general discussion section on this site.
http://www.hondashadow.net/forum/53-general-discussion/99631-honda-service-manual-ace-750-a.html

#10 ·
Thanks guys!

I will pull the gas line at the fuel pump and check for flow first. If I have a good flow of fuel at that point, I will know the fuel filter and fuel pump are good. No use fixing/changing what is working fine.

After that, I will have to dig into the carbs. I look for the easy stuff first. Much more work getting the carbs off and cleaned. Just hard to believe that sitting 4 or 5 weeks would cause them to get clogged up.

What I am not hearing from the group is any known problems with fuel pumps. I guess that is good, but replacing the fuel pump would be a lot easier than cleaning the carbs.:)

#11 ·
Thanks guys!

I will pull the gas line at the fuel pump and check for flow first. If I have a good flow of fuel at that point, I will know the fuel filter and fuel pump are good. No use fixing/changing what is working fine.

After that, I will have to dig into the carbs. I look for the easy stuff first. Much more work getting the carbs off and cleaned. Just hard to believe that sitting 4 or 5 weeks would cause them to get clogged up.

What I am not hearing from the group is any known problems with fuel pumps. I guess that is good, but replacing the fuel pump would be a lot easier than cleaning the carbs.:)
It runs with the choke on , so you know your atleast getting some fuel to the carbs, FP most likely not the cause, but start there and you can eliminate it from the equation.

#14 ·
A long time ago I ran out of gas and all I had in my saddle bag was a can of SeaForm (or some other carb cleaner). So I dumped it in my tank straight and it got me to the next gas station. Bike ran pretty good and did a nice job on the carbs... I think I was riding a Harley at the time. Go figure...

#15 ·
One other item to check is the vacuum port screw on the intake boot (where manometer hooks up to)....is it gone? This will cause HUGE vacuum leak.

I bet a hundred bucks it's the carbs dirty though.....

BTW, use the bowl drain screw to verify gas in carbs...not the fuel pump line. I'm getting out on a limb not knowing the specifics of said bike model, but fuel pump only runs while engine is rotating on most....not just key on, keep that in mind.

#16 ·
#17 ·
Had the same problem when I did the bean box mod. Bike would run at idle on full choke. Then sputter from idle to 1/8 throttle. Then it would run fine from 1/8 on up. My slow jets were completely clogged. I used a strand from some wire to clean it out. I needed to put in a larger slow jet anyways(42) but after that the problem was fixed.

You are not getting enough fuel at idle. See if it still happens after 1/8 throttle when your main jets and fuel needle start to take over.

#18 ·
I am sure I don't need to change any jets... I have not modified anything. It also ran perfectly (just like a Honda) before it started to act up. I might have to clean them but definitively I don't have to change them.

Also, this bike dies when I open the throttle... It does not sputter. It dies...

#20 · (Edited)
I think the bike is pissed that you let it sit... buy it some chrome and try again.

Consider pulling the plugs... if the bike is running rich it wont take long for the plugs to foul. If you have been running with choke on for 5 or 10 mins then they should be fouled. I'm with you. Gas shouldnt gunk a carb after 1 or 2 months. I think you have a vaccuum leak.

If you fmessed with your air mixture screw in the past... make sure it didn't pop out... that would cause sudden change.

#21 ·
Yes, some chrome would be nice... Maybe a nice mustang seat??? No, I don't mess with anything... A screw might have fallen out and I will check that, but I have not tried to adjust a thing. It ran great 5 weeks ago. Yes, I agree, 5 weeks does not seem like enough time for the carbs to get gonked up. I hope to get back to it next week and I will let you know what the root cause was.

thanks everybody...

#23 ·
No good way I know of to clean them effectively on the bike. It's a couple hour job if it's your first time. Under an hour once your good at it. Tank and choke cables, throttle cables will for sure need to be removed. I aint sure, again an 02 specific, but it's definitely in the manual....you did download it, right......

I guess it boils down to your experience, work area, tools, and capabilities..... workin on your own ride aint for everyone. You have to decide if it's you or the dealer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.