Honda Shadow Forums banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
As a first bike, what are you wanting? Commuter? Riding with a passenger? Trips? I really like the Shadow and I truly believe it is one of the best bike for a new rider, but with that said, there are plenty of other makes and models and styles out there that can do just as good or possibly even better. Lots of folks around here with plenty of experience on all types of different bikes. Don't be a stranger.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
As a first bike, what are you wanting? Commuter? Riding with a passenger? Trips? I really like the Shadow and I truly believe it is one of the best bike for a new rider, but with that said, there are plenty of other makes and models and styles out there that can do just as good or possibly even better. Lots of folks around here with plenty of experience on all types of different bikes. Don't be a stranger.
Just a little something to have fun on. Not so much commuting but just riding to my girlfriends house, quick errands around my city, rides to friend’s houses. Or even just a couple late night cruises for when I cant sleep or just want to get my mind off of things. So I dont need anything too too comfortable or super fast. I really just want a bike to have as like a toy. Not really for commuting or anything else, just to simply have fun and feel free for a bit

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
The Shadow is a nice choice but you would do yourself a disservice if you don't look real hard at a Honda NC 750, or the CB 500 or 650 F models. Not the "R" models but the "F". They would do exactly what you are looking for. The downside to the CB's is no saddlebags. You carry what you carry on your back. The upside is more nimble and much, much better mileage and performance.

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
My best bud bought his daughter a Triumph Tiger for her first street bike and that did her well for a number of years. The Yamaha Bolt series is definitely worth checking out as well. Depending on the size of your wallet you might want to check out the smaller BMW GS series bikes. Definitely don't restrict yourself to just one brand or style. There is a reason the "standard", "GS" and dual sport/adventure bikes are becoming so popular.

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
Something a lot of people shy away from but would be perfect for your application is a dirt bike that has been made street legal. Most metric bike dealerships have two or three Yamaha WR-250's with lights and plates and are registered. Kawasaki KLX 230 or 250's were made for the road and already street legal, no aftermarket parts are needed. Dirt bikes are made to drop and fall down. Easy to work on, durable and just plain fun to ride. You can generally pick one up ready to go for under two grand. Probably the most OKist bike I've ever been around is the Kawasaki KLR 650. It does everything really ok, just nothing great but it'll serve your needs for years to come. The only downside to a KLR is the extra plastics on it, but they are cheap to replace if ever needed.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
M
Something a lot of people shy away from but would be perfect for your application is a dirt bike that has been made street legal. Most metric bike dealerships have two or three Yamaha WR-250's with lights and plates and are registered. Kawasaki KLX 230 or 250's were made for the road and already street legal, no aftermarket parts are needed. Dirt bikes are made to drop and fall down. Easy to work on, durable and just plain fun to ride. You can generally pick one up ready to go for under two grand. Probably the most OKist bike I've ever been around is the Kawasaki KLR 650. It does everything really ok, just nothing great but it'll serve your needs for years to come. The only downside to a KLR is the extra plastics on it, but they are cheap to replace if ever needed.
Those cb500s dont look too bad, maybe in the future I’ll consider picking one up!! Honestly, they look pretty fun and perfect for my application.. and I did consider maybe purchasing a dual sport but idk aside from all their benefits, I really wanted a street specific bike. buuuut. I did meet up with someone last night and I did end up buying myself an 03 Shadow 750! Will follow up and post pics later after work!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #27 (Edited)
There she is! 8k original miles for $2k. Came with all the original lights, a windshield (was given away to a friend immediately lol), 2 repair manuals, speakers, and a whole bunch of other goodies as well. A little rough on cold start but once its warmed up it runs beautifully. Will be giving her fresh fluids and a nice hearty tune up soon. Also will be repainting it in the near future as well
FC80C79B-3D88-43FF-9D73-15DC14C4C1FA.jpeg

·
Registered
454 Posts
Nice Scoot! - Tuff to beat a Shadow - They're Bullit proof...

"A little rough on cold start but once its warmed up it runs beautifully."
Check Fuel Filter Immediately! Change it ASAP if any discoloration at all...
Mine was like that when I got it (rough when cold), changed fluids & plugs, but neglected the fuel filter)...
Ended up having to remove/clean carbs due to Red Hairs (deteriorated fuel filter fibers) gettin sucked into and clogging up carb passages.

Recommend changing fuel filter immediately, add 3oz seafoam to new full tank, and go for a nice beautiful runnin (2 hr/100 mile) ride to soften,clean and flush all out...
New filter & 3oz of prevention may well save ya the time consuming carb cleaning cure...

Also note: That new filter, with the incorrectly crimped metal ring, was one of a cheap clone copy pair I got from Ebay [grumble,grumble], the other one didnt seam to work right either (had an intermittant miss under hard pull??? - replaced it with an original OEM Honda filter and No problem! Ya might wanta consider usin a real honda OEM part (HONDA 16900-MG8-003),
or at least these (not from Ebay), they get good reviews:
Vt750 replacement Fuel filters

Welcome aboard...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Looking good.

I rather like the red, I was going to repaint my green and cream bike when I bought it 6 years ago, it is still green and cream. (-;
Thank you!
Im guessing that color really started to grow on you huh lol nothing wrong with that though. It’s your bike and your preference.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Nice Scoot! - Tuff to beat a Shadow - They're Bullit proof...

"A little rough on cold start but once its warmed up it runs beautifully."
Check Fuel Filter Immediately! Change it ASAP if any discoloration at all...
Mine was like that when I got it (rough when cold), changed fluids & plugs, but neglected the fuel filter)...
Ended up having to remove/clean carbs due to Red Hairs (deteriorated fuel filter fibers) gettin sucked into and clogging up carb passages.
View attachment 285357
Recommend changing fuel filter immediately, add 3oz seafoam to new full tank, and go for a nice beautiful runnin (2 hr/100 mile) ride to soften,clean and flush all out...
New filter & 3oz of prevention may well save ya the time consuming carb cleaning cure...

Also note: That new filter, with the incorrectly crimped metal ring, was one of a cheap clone copy pair I got from Ebay [grumble,grumble], the other one didnt seam to work right either (had an intermittant miss under hard pull??? - replaced it with an original OEM Honda filter and No problem! Ya might wanta consider usin a real honda OEM part (HONDA 16900-MG8-003),
or at least these (not from Ebay), they get good reviews:
Vt750 replacement Fuel filters

Welcome aboard...
Thank you so much for that information. I would have never thought to replace the fuel filter because of that issue. I’d have changed everything except that. You make a really good point with those fibers. Gonna pick one up from Honda as soon as I get the chance to. As well as some new plugs. Thanks again a million for the tip man!!

·
Registered
12,862 Posts
I think you done good !
I would ride it for a while to see if it is the bike of your dreams before taking apart and loosing interest and then
" Another basket case".

21 - 32 of 32 Posts