Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wanted to take a few and say Hi to everyone. I just joined today. I bought a 1999 Shadow 1100 ACE a couple of days ago and of course I have no owners manual. So I have a question. Is the oil checked with the bike level or while on the side stand? Thanks in advance for any help I receive. :?

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Capt said:
Wanted to take a few and say Hi to everyone. I just joined today. I bought a 1999 Shadow 1100 ACE a couple of days ago and of course I have no owners manual. So I have a question. Is the oil checked with the bike level or while on the side stand? Thanks in advance for any help I receive. :?
With the bike level. The best way to do it is to get some help. That way you are not trying to balance the bike while you are kneeling next to it or standing on your head to remove the dipstick from the seat...

It no help is available....loosen the dipstick with the bike on the stand. Remove and clean. Put it back in and lift the bike upright. Then set it back down on the stand, remove the dipstick and read the level.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Welcome Capt.
A trick I learned here is to get your oil level correct using the abovementioned method, then make yourself a wooden dipstick, and mark it where the correct level would be when cold and sitting on the side stand. Technically not correct but it should be close enough. Just make sure the dipstick is long enough to not fall into the crankcase and/or has a knob or something to keep you from losing it down the hole. It's been done. 8)
-Glenn

·
Registered
‘00 Valkyrie Interstate, ‘01 Spirit 1100, 99 VLX
1,341 Posts
Capt said:
Wanted to take a few and say Hi to everyone. of course I have no owners manual.
Welcome aboard, Captain,

Just for kicks, remove the side covers under the seat if you haven't already done so. That is where the owners manual and tool pouch are stored. When I bought my first VLX, I had no idea where to look, so I bought a new one from the stealer, then found out I had it the whole time!

Spirit 1100 said:
loosen the dipstick with the bike on the stand. Remove and clean. Put it back in and lift the bike upright. Then set it back down on the stand, remove the dipstick and read the level.
This is the only way I check mine after nearly dropping it trying to hold the bike vertical, twist myself around, and check the dipstick all at the same time.

CB

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.