Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm reassembling a VT750RS (Shadow RS) after painting, powder coating, etc. and need help with the proper location of a part. The shop manual is no help, but if one of you guys could look at your bike and tell me where this thing goes I'd really appreciate it.

Let me know how I can contact you,
Thanks,
Dave

· Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mike,
Thank you so much for your offer to help.

I’ve reinstalled the swingarm according to the shop manual and have a part that doesn’t seem to have a purpose or a need for exact placement. It just kind of sits there!

Look at the left side of your swingarm where it pivots between the frame and the engine. There is a steel tube spacer or “collar” (part number 12 on the ronayers.com link I’ve provided) that the swingarm rotates on--solidly jammed between the frame and the engine. On that spacer is a split bushing (part number 13) which, while a snug fit, is free to spin and move left or right. It may be hard to see but can easily be felt.

And it’s this collar that this is my problem. I have no idea what its proper placement is or what it does.

Please look at your bike, which I assume is stock and never had its swingarm removed or tampered with, and tell me how the collar is placed.

Thanks,

SWINGARM

· Registered
99' Valkyrie/North Central Indiana
10,505 Posts
That spacer is needed to do a complete tight stackup when you torque #8's nuts etc. otherwise you will loose the ridgidty of the swingarm thus applying stress to the pivot points eventually causing sloppy worn out swingarm.

· Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, but the part I'm talking about isn't a spacer. Part #12 (which slides over part #8) acts as a spacer on the left side, and its now snugged up good and tight between the frame and engine mount. Part #13 (the piece I'm talking about) fits over #12. It doesn't work as a spacer, or have a purpose that I can understand. Although I'm sure Honda doesn't add in extra parts if it doesn't have to

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.