Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took the left hand side of the bike apart and fixed the "oil inspection plug" problem.

Put the bike back but now I cannot get the bike out of neutral - it's like the shaft for the gear change is "stuck" - will not move up or down.

The shaft seems to be protruding "out" the bike the correct length.

What have I done - and is there an easy fix??

Bike starts fine and looks like the oil leak is fixed....

·
Premium Member
8,865 Posts
Not sure what your bike's setup looks like, but is the push rod leading from the gear shift assembly attached to the transmission at the correct angle? That can jam things up..

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
the rod has a fork on the end of it that meshes with another fork behind the casing. it is assembled by way of angling the shifter fork through the opening on the rear engine casing. there is a flat section on the shifter rod that has to be aligned correctly to engage the fork behind that casing... you will need to remove the outer cover (pita) to get to that area. i recommend, if you don't have a manual to get one.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cheers for that - will take the whole thing apart tomorrow. On the bright side I should be able to do it quicker this time.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, had replaced them now and they hopefully will ok to re-use. Takes around 2 - 3 weeks to get new ones as they come in when ordered from Europe or Japan.

·
Registered
1999 VT1100C2 A. C. E.
9,242 Posts
Took the left hand side of the bike apart and fixed the "oil inspection plug" problem.
Are you talking about the infamous crankcase guide plug leak?

That is NOT an oil inspection plug. The hole is there for aligning the shifter rods during engine assembly.

What have I done - and is there an easy fix??
Guessing that you got the shifter rods misaligned. Easy? Not really even if you have a Honda service manual + some idea what you're trying to do. Not all that hard, though. Just takes time and patience.

·
Registered
144 Posts
There have been cases where the shift linkage was put on too close to the cover and would not allow for proper shifting. Check that before pulling the cover off.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Well wasn't to bad. The gears on the left gear shift spindle was not aligned correctly with the gears of the right shift spindle. The very reason why there is the gear shift spindle access plug - the item, of course, that was causing the oil leak!

on my bike it wants to "jump" out and then naturally wants to mesh incorrectly - so I think it could happen quite easily.

I nice pic on how it's ment to mesh is on page 2-49 on Haynes Shadow VT1100 85 thru 98 1100cc.

But thanks for all the help guys.

Edit: Cheers Adlowe - looks like you were spot on. and thanks - I did get the instructions and parts list off adlowe.net - really appreciated it - you got a novice mechanic through a fairly tough job!

·
Registered
11,171 Posts
Good job by you. This is a perfect example of the best of this forum.

How did it work out with the gasket? Did you re-use? Did you use the black silicon? A combination of both? (not a fan of re-using gaskets except in an emergency)

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The gaskets where fine. When I put them in I spread a bit of grease around the surface - mainly to keep the gasket in place but also (supposedly) - helps with sealing. I am glad I did not used my gasket sealer (silicone/red) as that would have taken quite a while to clean up.

I also put a blob of epoxy on the spindle shaft cap and on the side to hopefully keep it from moving - along with some gasket sealer. Just tapped the epoxy of with a hammer and screwdriver - think that worked well as a "lock" so did that again.

Kind weird that the thing I sealed up was the thing I needed to reopen to fix the bike again. Well, I now know why it's there! Luckily, I was really going to epoxy the thing in so it would never come out again - glad I restrained myself.

Wife and I took it for a 30 mile spin - nothing fell of/ burst/ jammed - so all good.

·
Registered
11,171 Posts
The gaskets where fine. When I put them in I spread a bit of grease around the surface - mainly to keep the gasket in place but also (supposedly) - helps with sealing. I am glad I did not used my gasket sealer (silicone/red) as that would have taken quite a while to clean up.

I also put a blob of epoxy on the spindle shaft cap and on the side to hopefully keep it from moving - along with some gasket sealer. Just tapped the epoxy of with a hammer and screwdriver - think that worked well as a "lock" so did that again.

Kind weird that the thing I sealed up was the thing I needed to reopen to fix the bike again. Well, I now know why it's there! Luckily, I was really going to epoxy the thing in so it would never come out again - glad I restrained myself.

Wife and I took it for a 30 mile spin - nothing fell of/ burst/ jammed - so all good.
Good job by you. No bursting is really a good thing ;)

And thanks for the gasket info. I usually use some Form-a-Gasket on mine. That could be why I don't see how they can be re-used. Lesson learned for me.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts