Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a CB350 that the wife rides. I dearly want to replace it but the wife keeps saying she likes it. I get to wrench it pretty much every week. The FIL gave it to us and this is the bike that got me back into riding. I had to wrench it back to living when we got it.

Anyhoo, he Creme'ed the tank, without bothering to take the rust out or clean it.

I was having fuel probs with it last year and I discovered that I had Creme flakes and large skinlike hunks half loose in the tank.

The question is, how do I get rid of the old Creme to get it back to metal. I have been shaking bolts and nuts in it for a while but that stuff is sticking like its supposed to, in places. Hot water, soap, I even tried vinegar and baking soda.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Por 15 claims their stripper will remove "other" tank sealer products. Check out this kit. I've never tried it as I've always used Por 15 and never had any flaking or peeling. They sell the stripper separately.
http://www.por15.com/s.nl/it.A/id.1517/.f

G

·
0 Posts
POR-15 sells two kits - one for a rusty tank and one with a botched Kreem job and rusty tank.

You want the Heavy Duty kit.
http://www.por15.com/s.nl/it.A/id.1517/.f

You might be able to remove the Kreem with acetone. I think I saw that somewhere. You can't go wrong with the POR-15 products.

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
Take it to a local radiator repar shop. They will deep tank it in heated solvent and it will shine like new inside and out.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Just think, once you have the tank back to metal, you could take it right to the chrome shop. Treat the inside properly, apply black checkerboard pinstripe and you got yourself a japanese cafe racer! :lol:

Those are some fun bikes, but you do have to work on them.

·
Registered
4,827 Posts
I used acid (we use to clean cement powder off redi-mix trucks) to clean out the inside of an old Yamaha tank. It worked perfect and left it with like brand new metal when done. Then I used Kream to seal it. That was 6 years ago, and it still looks good inside. The metal has to be clean or that Kream will not stick properly.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts