Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Headed to Denver for 4 days to get out of this gd miserable heat... the worst summer since we moved from Colorado to Arkansas six years ago.

So, we are looking to rent bikes (just for a day trip of some scenery and twisties, so luggage is not an issue). Seems like the only thing you can find to rent is Harleys.

I've owned a 750 SHadow Aero and now a VTX 1300. Both good for lower seat height and lower center of gravity. Well balanced, stable. I've always heard that Harleys have their center of gravity higher.

I don't know my Harley models at ALL except of course in the women's cycling clubs there are always a number of Sportsters (Skirtsters). Clueless about the size, weight, seight height and handling of the Dyna and Softglide models.

Pretty sure I'm not looking to spend a day on one of their big big models though.

Could use a little guidance. Cornering is king in terms of my priorities on this.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Dyna wide glide smooth ride good handling low seat height, if your tall you can still stretch out the legs great ride i think all the dyna bikes ride real nice good luck road kings are nice to just a little wider felling

·
Registered
673 Posts
If it is twisties, look at a sporty 1200. I hate that they are called skirtsters by some people who have never ridden one and by HD owners who have the big bikes. I can almost promise you in the corners and twisties you will have more bike than you can handle.

·
Registered
851 Posts
When I looked at Harley rentals the majority of them didn't offer Sportsters. Your location may be different. All of them rented the Heritage Softail. That will be comparable to your 1300.

·
Registered
352 Posts
I am borrowing my buddies Night Rod right now and it is powerful but real crowded I am 6' and it feels too small of a frame for me. I pick up my sporty next week and have ridden it many times I like alot.

·
Registered
23,171 Posts
Rethink that, you would be surprised how balanced and maneuverable something like a Road King can be.

·
Registered
10,239 Posts
Road King and Heritage are going to feel a lot like our bikes. If I was renting one that would be my picks.
Coop

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
To see how a particular bike might fit, give this site a try: Motorcycle Ergonomics

I still think the Dyna Superglide is the most nimble bike I've ever ridden. Perfectly balanced, and plenty of power with the 96 cu in engine, and 6th gear makes cruising at highway speeds a real joy.

At 650 lbs, and with a seat height of just over 26", I think you should at least give it a try.

But, be careful, you're liable to come home and buy one. ;)

Good luck.

·
Registered
851 Posts
But, be careful, you're liable to come home and buy one. ;)

Good luck.
Very true. When I went to the Harley demo's I wasn't impressed with some but most were really sweet rides. The Cross Bones was my favorite. I found it so much smoother than either my 750 or VTX. I'll admit. I was infatuated.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
The Sportsters are the only ones that seem to carry their weight higher. The rest of the cruiser models are fairly low COG. I know of a few women who love their Fat Boys and Heritage Softails.

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
We think you will find any of the big twins more than satisfactory. Riding one will probably cause you to want one, as they are very nice bikes. You would probably like the Sportster as well, but it is our impression that most do not rent them. For our $$$, we would rent a Road King, which we see as the HD model that combines comfort with some agility (at least compared to the full dressers).

We trudge on.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
We think you will find any of the big twins more than satisfactory. Riding one will probably cause you to want one, as they are very nice bikes. You would probably like the Sportster as well, but it is our impression that most do not rent them. For our $$$, we would rent a Road King, which we see as the HD model that combines comfort with some agility (at least compared to the full dressers).

We trudge on.
+1, however if you feel more comfortable with pegs instead of floorboards the SuperGlide will give you a fun ride.

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
Any of the Dyna models if available. They handle better than the sloptail. As mentioned, the Sporty has the higher COG, the big twins do not. if luggage is not a concern and you really want handling, dyna, hands down.

·
Registered
3,736 Posts
Lots of great advice here. Either a Dyna, Softail Classic or a Sporty would fit the bill.

What's your inseam? My wife would love to have a bigger bike but she has a short inseam and some of the big twins are too uncomfortable for her so she sticks with her Sporty 1200 (which she LOVES BTW).

However, if you really want to rip up those twisties, go with the Sporty! And no, not all Sportys are topw heavy, especially some of the newer ones.

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
For me, it's do you have any back issues. If you have lower back issues, it seems the softails and Sportsters really aggravate the issue... something about the ride position. As many have said on here, most all of them will give you a great ride. I personally do not care for the Sportsters as I feel almost like I'm riding on top of it like a dirt bike, vice sitting in it like a cruiser.. but that is just personal preference. I'm willing to bet you'll start grinning from ear to ear the first time you twist the throttle and she opens open for you propelling you down the road!! Enjoy!!

·
Registered
1,101 Posts

·
Registered
5,377 Posts
Rethink that, you would be surprised how balanced and maneuverable something like a Road King can be.

If I were to rent a Harley I would go all out. Road King is what I would do. Why would any Shadow rider rent a Sportster? Or a Dyna for that matter.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Ask the rental place if you can test ride what you want. I happened to like the Sportster, but if I were renting and could pick whatever I wanted I'd go after something with a 6th gear.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts