Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's a new one. My rear tire is leaking but not from hole in tire. Not from where rim joins tire. It's leaking from center of steel rim where bracket is located to bolt rim to hub.

How can I fix? Could rim be safely welded/brazed from inside? Would this throw off balance? Or, should I look for a replacement rim? What say you?

Guys, this is my beloved 30 year old Honda 125 scooter (7300 miles). Has 10" wheels with 3.5" X 10" tires. Rear tire is Bridgestone Hoop and almost new. No tire leaks.

I'll appreciate all your ideas Thanks.

Jerry
1984 Honda Elite Ch125

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
I'm not familiar with that scooter. Can you post a picture of the wheel so we can get a look at it and maybe figure out a fix. Sounds weird. Can you put a tube in it?

·
Premium Member
7,678 Posts
It's a stamped wheel made in 2 halves. Remove the tire, clean the rim surface, and run a bead of silicone around the inside of the rim where the two halves join. Have the wheel rebalanced if necessary.

·
Premium Member
548 Posts
There are rim strips and tubes available at very reasonable costs for 10" wheels. Tubes I found had valves designed to exit at the center of the rim. If yours exits anywhere other than the exact center then it won't last long. The only other problem might be things on the inside of the rim that may rub/penetrate the tube. It has to be very smooth. Same with the valve stem hole, it needs to be smooth, no sharp edges. You only need the rim strip if there are things on the center of the rim that could rub/penetrate the tube. If you do go the tube route, I would consider carrying a can of fix-a-flat with you in case you miss something that could penetrate the tube.

·
Premium Member
8,072 Posts
Miranda. The parts you need are as extinct as a Dodo Bird. You will need to search down deep inside for your abilities to design a repair solution for the scooter on your own. Wish you luck. Mike.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Makin progress

Thanks guys. Gonna try to weld inside of rim. Might also try tube. Steel rim is one piece with brackets (3) for bolts to fasten hub. Ebay might be good source for wheel if repairs do not work out.

Any more ideas/suggestions? Sure do appreciate

Jerry

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
Straight from my NOS restoration bank of knowledge --- Before welding, I'd try a stick-on rim strip or caulk. You can always peel off the rim strip or caulk, clean with solvent & try welding the rim if it doesn't work. Once you try welding the rim, you're committed.

And, yes, probably want to re-balance once you have something in place.

·
Registered
9,263 Posts
just too many welds. in the process, the rims might warp, badly.
Yes, I agree. My suggestion is to go with the tube. Easiest and cheapest solution. Don't weld on it unless you have already located a replacement wheel. You'll need it.

·
Registered
17,903 Posts
Jerry, get a tube installed...
New rim strip can be made easily enough too...
Might can Silicone a rim strip in?
That MAY work too...
Good Luck & Merry Christmas,
Ann & Dennis

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for help

Thanks much Capt and Merry Christmas to all. This forum has been so good to me. Sure do appreciate all comments and forum friends. I think I may have located a replacement wheel, just in case. Will keep you posted.

Jerry

PS-With 80 degree weather here in Central Florida, I hate not being able to ride daily. You all know what I mean as most of us are addicted and look forward to getting out on road.

·
Registered
17,903 Posts
DANG IT!!!

I just came through your neck of the woods headed to Sebring for our annual Thanksgiving Feast...
I forgot all about you being in Winter Haven, we pass through Bartow....

Merry Christmas,
Ann & Dennis

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Dang it

Capt, sorry we missed you

We'll meet yet. Got the best people on this forum for sure. Ask for help or advice, and you WILL get it and sometimes a member even gives hands-on help. Thanks CIP Chuck. He was the reason my VT500 ran well again.

Merry Christmas and thanks for all your help

Jerry

·
Registered
354 Posts
I went to the motorcycle store on a Monday to get a rim strip once. They're closed on Monday ya know. I went to three of them in fact. They're all closed on Monday. With some cursing and frustration I used several layers of electrical tape. Turned out to work perfectly. It's been on there for years.

·
Premium Member
2,129 Posts
I went to the motorcycle store on a Monday to get a rim strip once. They're closed on Monday ya know. I went to three of them in fact. They're all closed on Monday. With some cursing and frustration I used several layers of electrical tape. Turned out to work perfectly. It's been on there for years.
I bet Gorilla tape would work great as a rim strip. It's thick and wide enough and sticks like crazy when first applied to a dry surface. Once applied moisture won't affect it. ;)

·
Registered
1999 VT1100C2 A. C. E.
9,238 Posts
Rim strips: Easy enough to make your own by cutting up an old inner tube. (Note: You want the inner edge of the un-inflated tube, not the outer.)

·
Registered
40 Posts
PS-With 80 degree weather here in Central Florida, I hate not being able to ride daily. You all know what I mean as most of us are addicted and look forward to getting out on road.

I'm riding every day here in the NW. Hovering around the 20 degree mark daily...

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
Someone here kept their spoked wheel but did something to it to get rid of their tube. I bet if you followed his steps AND added a tube it would solve your problem. He coated the inside of the tube with some type of liner.

Dingo.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Rim strip out of old inner tube

Adlowe, I like your idea. Might try to make rim strip out of old inner tube.

This should probably run completely around 10" rim, right? Got nothing to lose and would probably seal rim air leak (which is so small you can't even see it, even after power wire brushing leak area)

This way, I could use old 90 degree valve stem (good condition) and not have to search for a new (and probably expensive) inner tube.

And this may be better than trying to weld inside of rim and throw of wheel balance.

What say you? Will this work?

Jerry

1 - 20 of 38 Posts