Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
I am out of options so figured I ask here. I have a 2017 Shadow Phantom and want to replace the weak stock headlight with LED. Seems like noone makes a replacement l, none in the market fits my model. Any ideas?

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
19,623 Posts
What type is it a sealed beam or a bulb?
Most through the years have been a H4 Halogen bulb that can be changed to LED.
One example=

·
Registered
5,973 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

There are various LED headlights, you want an H4 replacement. I had one that I used in my Aero and then my VTX, but at night it blinded others. Oncoming vehicles would flash the highbeams which didn't really bother me too much, but the complaints from my fellow riders on group rides is what really prompted me to replace it. No one would ride in front of me. The stock headlight bucket isn't built for and LED bulb, and can't properly reflect the light to where it should be. I replaced it with a Daymaker, however without some fabricating, this is not an option for the Shadow.

·
Registered
4,076 Posts
Led sealed beams in buckets are probably out there, but just a question of where. Usually, you'll have to gamble that the adapter ring (red arrow) works as advertised to interface the led sealed beam with the stock bucket on your Shadow Phantom.

·
Registered
2001 Honda Shadow Aero 1100
360 Posts
Led sealed beams in buckets are probably out there, but just a question of where. Usually, you'll have to gamble that the adapter ring (red arrow) works as advertised to interface the led sealed beam with the stock bucket on your Shadow Phantom.
Didn't on the one I bought for my Aero, nothing a grinding wheel couldn't fix though ;)

·
Registered
107 Posts
Hey guys pretty much all the aftermarket side mount headlight buckets can take the Daymaker LED with no problem. I'm using 7" one on a Harley Not going to look stock though cause you have to use sidemount fork brackets.I was looking for options for a 750 Shadow with the small headlight bucket. Yeah i could use an aftermarket housing but not worth it. I only found one reasonably priced H4 LED bulb with the proper shielding on low beam that would not blind everyone. It was the Beamtech but after measuring the housing it was too small for the bulb.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The issue with side mounting, depends what year your shadow is. Mine is 2017 and forks are too thick for the mounting kits out in the market. Spoke with 4 dealers, multiple vendors and they all ended up scratching their heads - can't find a housing kit to replace to LED. Only option so far seems to change the bulb... ugh...

·
Registered
99 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Honda Shadow Phantom
14 Posts
But how do you fix the bracket into the OEM bucket?
I've been chatting with Motodemic and apparently the schematics of the Phantom headlight assembly are identical to the headlight for a Yamaha XSR900. Motodemic makes this adapter ring that will fit a Phantom (mine is a 2020). That being said, the adapter is made for a JW Speaker 8690 or a Motodemic Evo S LED. I cant comment on other LEDs fitment (although I imagine most 5.75 lights would fit).
Here is the adapter right only:
Here is the entire assembly, headlight and adapter:

Its a bit expensive, but it should fit like a glove. I don't know of any alternatives at the moment, and my Amazon $40 LED does not have aiming capabilities lol. I just push it up and down to adjust it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I've been chatting with Motodemic and apparently the schematics of the Phantom headlight assembly are identical to the headlight for a Yamaha XSR900. Motodemic makes this adapter ring that will fit a Phantom (mine is a 2020). That being said, the adapter is made for a JW Speaker 8690 or a Motodemic Evo S LED. I cant comment on other LEDs fitment (although I imagine most 5.75 lights would fit).
Here is the adapter right only:
Here is the entire assembly, headlight and adapter:

Its a bit expensive, but it should fit like a glove. I don't know of any alternatives at the moment, and my Amazon $40 LED does not have aiming capabilities lol. I just push it up and down to adjust it.
Hi, I have a 2020 Shadow and I am not able to get this light to fit no matter how I try. Do you have pictures of how you made it work? The adapter that came with the assembly has top and bottom mounting holes. The Shadow needs mounting holes on the bottom in an upside down V pattern. Do I remove the bracket from the current light somehow? I tried to do that but it doesn't fit with the light. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
Note: I ordered the full "Adaptive LED" in black from the link you provided. I assumed it had the mounting bracket you mentioned above based on your description and Motodemic's site.

·
Registered
2020 Honda Shadow Phantom
14 Posts
Hi, I have a 2020 Shadow and I am not able to get this light to fit no matter how I try. Do you have pictures of how you made it work? The adapter that came with the assembly has top and bottom mounting holes. The Shadow needs mounting holes on the bottom in an upside down V pattern. Do I remove the bracket from the current light somehow? I tried to do that but it doesn't fit with the light. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
Note: I ordered the full "Adaptive LED" in black from the link you provided. I assumed it had the mounting bracket you mentioned above based on your description and Motodemic's site.
From what I remember, the XSR900 adaptive headlight does not come with the proper mounting ring to make it fit. You need to also purchase the Yamaha 6 inch adapter ring. This should allow you to fit the adaptive light to the 2020 Phantom.

·
Registered
5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
did you ever get this to work?
I did!! It's not a perfect fit into the housing but I'm happy with it. It's a MASSIVE improvement over the stock light. I am quite comfortable riding at night now as it lights up the entire roadway at a good distance. Here are some pictures of the fitment. Notice that it sticks out a bit. 🤷 (and I hadn't put the turn signals back up yet)
Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive design

Automotive tire Automotive lighting Light Motor vehicle Motorcycle

Wheel Tire Fuel tank Motor vehicle Vehicle

·
Registered
2013 Honda Shadow Phantom 750
4,542 Posts
I did!! It's not a perfect fit into the housing but I'm happy with it. It's a MASSIVE improvement over the stock light. I am quite comfortable riding at night now as it lights up the entire roadway at a good distance. Here are some pictures of the fitment. Notice that it sticks out a bit. (and I hadn't put the turn signals back up yet)
View attachment 303402
View attachment 303401
View attachment 303400
That is not “sticks out a bit”, that is a lot!!! Either don’t ride in the rain or find a way to enclose that headlight bucket. There are a lot of connectors in there that need to stay dry.

Eric

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
467 Posts
A suggestion to seal that gap: If you have an old motorcycle inner tube cut a 2-3 inch wide cross section out of it so you have a rubber "ring"
Strecth that over the gap to keep the water out. Being black it should blend in well. You could also spray paint it matte black to match the bike.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts