Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I did a search, and could not find anyone with my exact problem. My new to me 03 Shadow 750 Spirit sat for a while, and the battery ran down. I had it in the shop recently for a once over, and they charged up the battery.

Well....that lasted about a week, and it's dead now. Last night I went to pull the battery, and..it's STUCK. I mean, like it was welded/superglued to the bottom of that compartment. Tried to push it out, pull it out...nada.

Any ideas on how to get this thing out?

·
Registered
4,478 Posts
push HARDER! Just wear eye protections and cover your paint best you can in case.....
Get another board or something to use as leverage. IF that's all it is, gunk. It'll come out eventually.

What about hosing it down with a high pressure washer to help loosen the stuff out? Car wash?

·
Registered
5,377 Posts
Sounds crazy... BUT..... Have you tryed pushing the other direction, too break it loose? Then gently rock it out of the pocket.

·
Registered
5,352 Posts
If the old battery has leaked and swollen try a few saucepans of boiling water with some bicarbinate of soda in it, it should wash away all the acid that has eaten into the metal and loosen the battery.

John.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If the old battery has leaked and swollen try a few saucepans of boiling water with some bicarbinate of soda in it, it should wash away all the acid that has eaten into the metal and loosen the battery.

John.
I'm gonna give this one a shot on Sunday, and see what happens. I will update ya'll.

Thanks for all the help so far.

·
Registered
4,478 Posts

John.
Carwash... I said that. ;)

·
Registered
815 Posts
Went to remove the barrery on my 08 aero 750 the other day and had the same problem. Didn't want to come out. Tried pushing through the hole on the bottom and it still was stuck. I took a metric bolt and threaded it into the threaded hole on the negative terminal and clamped a visegrip onto the bolt head and while pulling with the visegrip, i also pushed through the bottom case hole. It first kicked to one side, let it back down, adjusted the lift tension to compensate for the sideway kick and it slid out. Snug but it slid out. Wiped the inside battery case and battery down with silicone before i put it back in and it slid right in. Should make it easier to get out next time.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Got it out today with success. First I did hot water with baking soda, and let it sit for a moment. Then broke out the vice grips to grip one of the terminals, and it finally slid out.

Put the new one in, and wired it up. Bike fired right up as normal. This time I put some wd40, and got all the junk out of the box before putting, the new one in.

(Next is learning how to do an oil change)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.