Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all!
I'm thinking on going LED on my 1993 Shadow 600. Sick of them stock bulky lights too... Now, I've been reading through a lot of forums etc, and still have no clue.
In a perfect situation I would like to keep the running lights on front (for extra visibility) but is it even possible with LEDs? Or would I need to get extra set of separate marker lights for that? As far as I know, LEDs are not as bright in daytime so what are my options here? Is there a way of wiring the incandescent marker lights and LED turn signals into one (if I'd go about getting 2 separate sets), and how much knowledge is required with the wiring? I'm good with following instructions ;-) I have changed sprockets and chain just by following the instructions in the book so I can't be that bad :wink:
Then, I've seen the load equalizer... I read somewhere that you don't need it, but then I see that they are sold for converting the incandescent turn signals to LED. I'm confused...
It would be greatly appreciated if someone could give me pointers as for what exactly should I buy, or give a link to some thread where someone has done it...
I looked at the wiring of the blinkers, it has 3 wires on front (I know that LEDs have 2), and 2 at the rear, but I guess I'll cross that bridge when I come to it ;) Of course, any help now would be great too!
Thanks in advance! Liga

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
You can convert to two wire LEDs if you add a resistor to the running light wire to dim them down. Then, connect the turn signal wire to it after the resister and when the signal is on, they will go to full brightness. This is of LED bulbs and unknown if it will work on the wafer style of light. Changing the flasher to a solid state unit is required since stock won't work with lower draw LEDs.

Caveat, depending on how the bike is wired, the above may result in both sides flashing. In that case, eliminating front running light signals is your only solution. You are safest going to a different incandescent you like or redoing the whole thing with units made for dual running/signal functionality.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
ON A HONDA OR ANY METRIC BIKE WITH 1 (ONE) signal indicator on the dash, you need to install a diode kit. Kuryakin makes one for less that 10 bucks.

The problem with LEDs on these bikes is that the power finds it way back through the indicator lamp to the cross side turn signal and all 4 flash. installing the diode kit prevents this from happenning. Resistors are not necessary.

You need a diode kit
an ELECTRONIC FLASHER (available lots of places)
and your LEDs.
You can get LEDs that are wired for running and signal so you will maintain your running lights.

I personally put clear lenzes on mine with LED 1157 in front and LED 1156 in rear. The diode kit and electronic flasher took care of the operational issues.

The problem with using a load resistor in the cricuit is that it totally defeats the purpose of the LED lights. you end up drawing as much or more power then the stock lights. and the resistor gets HOT. Besides that for alot less $$$ you can use the electronic flasher and eliminate the need.

·
Registered
1998 750 ACE
20,680 Posts
I added a 4LED trailer running light to my STOP light circuit, spliced it inline paralell, soas to light up when the Brake is ON...
The added light coming on, in a different location, does help people to see me...
When it comes to using LEDs in the turnsignal circuit, I`ve read quite a few problems with this, NOT A PLUG AND PLAY... SO I`ve NOT done it...
It can be done successfully with the help from HSN gurus here, the knowledge is charished...
GOOD LUCK,
Dennis

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
As others have already said, the LED's in general are NOT as bright as the incandescent bulbs. You can pay out a LOT OF $$$ and get some very bright LED's, but most are still rather directional. Good luck with the game plan. :-D

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys! Especially cl65ame! That is exactly how I understand things, bit by bit, step by step ;)
I'll look what I can get locally (UK or IRL). I have ordered from US before, especially CruiserCustomizing (like the stuff there), but the postal charges are just enormous... You guys have a lot bigger choice ;)
Thanks again, if I get stuck, I'll come back to yous!

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
OK. Postal Strike finally ended and my Diode kit arrived today. installation looks simple enough but need to pull the tank so it will wait until tomorrow after work.
Simply put...
remove light
run one wire to ground from light socket
run other wire to one end of diode harness and the other 2 leads to the left and right turn signals.

I will actually do this at the plug in the connector box.

My guess about an hour all told to get LEDs on the rear and the front.

I will take pics and post back when done.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I will take pics and post back when done.
Hey, that'd be great! Could you PM me the link to the diode kit you got please? Just wanna know what to look for, I'm a bit bomboozeled by the choice the search drops on me ;)

Can't wait to see the pics and write-up on the installation!

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
I know I prmised pics but camera battery was dead and I wanted to get it done. Here is what I did though...
1) remove seat
2) remove tank
3) pull bulb and socket from instrument cluster
4) identify 2 wires comming from signal light on cluster (on my 98 T it was light blue with red and brown with black
5} in the connector box under the tank identify the same wires in the correect connector (black connector for me) I suggest checking continuity to socket to ensure you have the correct wires.
6) pull the handlebar side of the connector out far enough to work on it
7) cut the 2 identified wires about 2 inches from the connector and strip the ends.
8)pick a wire (I chose the Brown/Black) and from the handlebar side (not the connector side) connect the black wire from the kit (this will run to chasis ground)
9)connect the blue end of the diode wire to the other handlebar side wire
10) connect the red wires to the 2 wires that are left comming from the connector.
11) tape or heatshrink all connections and put everything back in the connector box. There is a ground screw in the box for the black wire. you need a ring terminal.
12) test it out. you now have working LED signals

The kit is a Kuryakin "DIODE KIT FOR METRIC BIKES" P/N 4709
I purchased it from JP Cycles
All told the install took 2 hours start to finish including some messing around with something else.

This was done on a 1998 VT1100T ACE TOURER

If you have any questions post here.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I know I prmised pics but camera battery was dead...
Isn't it always the way? :-D Thanks for the detailed write-up! It might help someone else as well, I mightn't be the only one who's electrically "impaired"! :D
Not sure now, to keep the running lights, or just add an extra set of mini LEDs for that purpose?.. I saw a set on my friend's bike that was wired with run-turn LEDs, I have to say, it's hard to see the difference at daytime... It came from the dealer that way so no help there... ;-)
I'll post back when I have it done, or if I run into problems! Thanks y'all!

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
If you maintain stock wiring to the lights, as long as they are "dual filament" LED lights you can retain running lights.
As I said earlier my frint LED lights are 1157 equivalent so I retain the running lights within the signal lights. The stock wiring supports this already (3 wires to front lights). If you can find a set of 3 wire signal lights then its a no brainer.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.