Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
1,415 Posts
ON A HONDA OR ANY METRIC BIKE WITH 1 (ONE) signal indicator on the dash, you need to install a diode kit. Kuryakin makes one for less that 10 bucks.

The problem with LEDs on these bikes is that the power finds it way back through the indicator lamp to the cross side turn signal and all 4 flash. installing the diode kit prevents this from happenning. Resistors are not necessary.

You need a diode kit
an ELECTRONIC FLASHER (available lots of places)
and your LEDs.
You can get LEDs that are wired for running and signal so you will maintain your running lights.

I personally put clear lenzes on mine with LED 1157 in front and LED 1156 in rear. The diode kit and electronic flasher took care of the operational issues.

The problem with using a load resistor in the cricuit is that it totally defeats the purpose of the LED lights. you end up drawing as much or more power then the stock lights. and the resistor gets HOT. Besides that for alot less $$$ you can use the electronic flasher and eliminate the need.

· Registered
1,415 Posts
OK. Postal Strike finally ended and my Diode kit arrived today. installation looks simple enough but need to pull the tank so it will wait until tomorrow after work.
Simply put...
remove light
run one wire to ground from light socket
run other wire to one end of diode harness and the other 2 leads to the left and right turn signals.

I will actually do this at the plug in the connector box.

My guess about an hour all told to get LEDs on the rear and the front.

I will take pics and post back when done.

· Registered
1,415 Posts
I know I prmised pics but camera battery was dead and I wanted to get it done. Here is what I did though...
1) remove seat
2) remove tank
3) pull bulb and socket from instrument cluster
4) identify 2 wires comming from signal light on cluster (on my 98 T it was light blue with red and brown with black
5} in the connector box under the tank identify the same wires in the correect connector (black connector for me) I suggest checking continuity to socket to ensure you have the correct wires.
6) pull the handlebar side of the connector out far enough to work on it
7) cut the 2 identified wires about 2 inches from the connector and strip the ends.
8)pick a wire (I chose the Brown/Black) and from the handlebar side (not the connector side) connect the black wire from the kit (this will run to chasis ground)
9)connect the blue end of the diode wire to the other handlebar side wire
10) connect the red wires to the 2 wires that are left comming from the connector.
11) tape or heatshrink all connections and put everything back in the connector box. There is a ground screw in the box for the black wire. you need a ring terminal.
12) test it out. you now have working LED signals

The kit is a Kuryakin "DIODE KIT FOR METRIC BIKES" P/N 4709
I purchased it from JP Cycles
All told the install took 2 hours start to finish including some messing around with something else.

This was done on a 1998 VT1100T ACE TOURER

If you have any questions post here.

· Registered
1,415 Posts
If you maintain stock wiring to the lights, as long as they are "dual filament" LED lights you can retain running lights.
As I said earlier my frint LED lights are 1157 equivalent so I retain the running lights within the signal lights. The stock wiring supports this already (3 wires to front lights). If you can find a set of 3 wire signal lights then its a no brainer.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.