Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys... i recently bought a hard top case for the ACE... however... i should have thought of this before i bought it... As i have now realized, the backrest/sissybar is at an angle, and points towards the luggage rack that i have on the bike... For this reason i can't install the topcase, because i won't be able to open it, as the backrest is in the way...

I hope that makes sense... i'm wondering what some of you have done to get around this problem...

any input would be appreciated.. thanks...

See in the photo how the backrest/sissybar is angled and therefore there is less vertical room on the luggage rack... where i need to put the topcase ...
THe only thing i can think of is to either somehow stretch out the luggage rack or somehow install the luggage rack higher (with some kind of metal) so that the hindge of the top case sits ABOVE the top of the backrest pad....

UPDATED photo of what i'm talking about...

The yellow is the case's mounting plate, the rest u can figure out just by looking. The problem are is in the RED CIRCLE.. as the hindge of the topcase sits right by the backrest - it stops it from being open. So i either need to raise the topcase so the hindge is OVER the backrest pad or move the backrest somehow AWAY from the backrest pad so the case can open --- this is where i need your suggestions...

Thanks again...

·
Registered
4,689 Posts
How about removing the backrest and attaching pads on the top case for the passenger to lean against. Some top cases are designed to do double duty.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
cbjr0256 said:
How about removing the backrest and attaching pads on the top case for the passenger to lean against. Some top cases are designed to do double duty.
Again, a good idea...but i need to keep the backrest on.

I'm looking for some idea on how to make it work with the backrest as it is.

Appreciate the feedback tho :D

·
Registered
327 Posts
Any chance you cna set the trunk on the backrest and bugee it or something to take a pic. It might be easier to see what you're faced with.

·
Registered
6 Posts
How about mounting the top case on a slide rail like a drawer and you can pull it back to open it?
Or
Mount it sideways so it opens right to left not back to front.
V

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Here are my 2 ideas...visually

THe baby-blue indicates the metal part i would need to find or fabricate somehow... red shows points of attachment....

SOLUTION A

SOLUTION B

However, i think with this one it would stick out WAAAYYY too much...

ANY OTHER IDEAS >>????

·
Registered
327 Posts
I wonder if you might be able to locate some pins with some sort of quick release for the bottom mounting bolts on your backrest. That way you could pull those pins and flip your backrest forward when openong the trunk.
I like the slide idea also. Perhaps some heavy duty drawer slides in stainless?

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
Turning it "sideways" is a good option. Remember how the HD "tour pack" opens?

The "drawer slide option" is also a good idea...maybe the best option. Mount the "slide" to bottom of "box", slide rails to bike rack.

I can tell you this from my own experience...the box WILL do a lot of vibrating/shaking mounting either way. The box mounting holes will need additional isolation/reinforcement. :roll:

Have you looked in the JC Whitney cataloge?? IF I remember they had a "box" that would mount to your bike rake and it had a "back rest pad" for the passenger. Was something like $39.00???? Or try to find one like it (JP Cycles, etc.) and mount. Maybe a way can be found to mount/un-mount the box and re-install the "stock" sissy bar.

Just some thoughts.

Bullzeye

·
Registered
865 Posts
Can you turn it 180 and have the hinge in the rear instead of front?

·
Registered
932 Posts
Can you turn it 180 and have the hinge in the rear instead of front?
I was thinking of the same idea as morepower. It would open like the old style "suicide" doors on cars. You would need to be sure to always have it securely shut when riding because if it opened, the wind would do a number on it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Raphy said:
Here are my 2 ideas...visually

THe baby-blue indicates the metal part i would need to find or fabricate somehow... red shows points of attachment....

SOLUTION A

SOLUTION B

However, i think with this one it would stick out WAAAYYY too much...

ANY OTHER IDEAS >>????
Hey, how about if you do solution b but bring the box as far up to the backrest as possible? This way, you'll have just "part" of the fabbed bracket hanging off the back. In the pic its way too far off the back ya know. You can bring that baby way more in.

·
Registered
202 Posts
If you could, replace the bottom bolt of the two bolts that secure the back rest to its bracket with a quick release pin. Then loosen the top bolt so it can act as a hinge. When the pin is removed this should allow the back rest to swing forward on its top bolt just enough to clear the opening of the lid.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts