Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I rejetted my girlfriend's 2000 VLX VT600 today. Used the dynojet kit, put in a 130 main jet and the dynojet needle etc.
Now, I think I got that part right. While putting the bike back together, the plastic part of the choke knob broke (due to overtightening) , si we ended up having to get a new choke cable.

After replacing it and putting it all together, the bike wouldn't start. After several tries, it would start but only with the choke all the way out. And even then, it would die out after a few seconds. Also, any time the bike start (with the choke out) and I turn on the throttle, it dies. I tried adjusting the mixture screw to various settings from 1.5 to 3.5 turns out but no luck.

All you mechanical geniuses out there, please help me diagnose the problem! I've done a rejet successfully on my suzuki volusia before but just can't figure out whats going on here.

Could the replaced choke assembly be the culprit? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
One thing that is easy to do is to not get the diaphragm in right. The lip of it does not want to stay in its grove, if it or part of it isn't in place the engine will not throttle up because the slide (needle piston) with not lift the needle.
So, what some of us has learned is to put a layer of a sticky grease in the grove where the diaphragm's lip seats, the grease will hold it in place until you get the cover back on. Also, the diaphragm's cover is positional so you have to make sure you got it turned right.
MarkC

·
Registered
113 Posts
diaphragm installation made easy

Rather than use heavy grease, simply lift the slider up about 1/2 way with your finger, and the rubber folds like a tent and fits the groove just fine.
Have a friend with a screwdriver standing by to put the cap on and tighten the screws down :wink:

·
Registered
121 Posts
The first time I installed a DJ kit, the bike would start but would not take ANY throttle.... I called DJ hotline, they asked What groove is the needle?
If the needle is too low, it will not get gas when you ask for it.
Maybe yours is an extreme case.
Did you put the needle on the correct groove?
Hoses connected?
Floats OK?
Gas getting into the bowls?
Any pieces not reconnected?

If it was an 1100 I could do it in my sleep, sorry not familiar with 600.

Good luck

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
navillustoo said:
Vin,
See my response on Free Riders before you take it back apart!

Brian
Thanks brian. Problem fixed.
Like Brian suggested, I removed the intake hose and reattached it to make sure it was seated properly,then tightened up everything and sure enough, the bike started right up! I didn't even have to open up the carb to check the diaphram etc.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.