Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey shadow riders all over the world, First of all i just wish to say i'm new here and a proud owner of a honda shadow. I live in the netherlands and am a member of the honda shadow club there.

Currently i'm working on getting my bike a bit "cooler" towards my own taste. One of the things i am working on is an alarm system with electronical starter system which allows me to start the bike up to 100 meters! (rather nifty if you ask me)

I have managed to get the alarm itself working, blinking lights and all. But am having some trouble getting the starter working. Why? Well i have no idea which wire needs to go where. The lack of a service/shop manual doesn't help at all.

Here > http://www.hondashadow.nl/aansluiting.jpg you can find the electrical plan (it's in dutch).

Is there anyone out there in the world who can help me with this problem? A manual of the wires (what goes where) or any hints tips etc for me to get it working?

I hope you guys can help me!

·
Registered
335 Posts
check out the sa750.com site, there may be wiring diagrams there. I don't have a 750, if I had the manual I'd scan it, maybe someone else on here has that ability. There are some members on this forum that have manuals in electronic form, but I don't know who has what for sure so let's just hope someone reads this that can help you.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi trueseaker,

I will have a look at the site you gave me tonight (it's early in the morning here). I'll let you guys know what i find out... i will also write a manual for everybody else who wishes to do something like this (in pdf form) so if some help me i can help the rest :wink:

·
Registered
4,689 Posts
Not trying to pee in your easter basket - but does a remote starter really make sense on any bike?

Normally parked a bike with a sidestand down should be in gear so it does not roll off the sidestand- couldn't start in gear with kickstand down because of the kick stand interlock. Remote starter useless.

Parked in neutral, with kick stand down - should start, however bike could roll off side stand if on any type of incline at all. Especially when the bike turns over and vibrates to a start the bike is likely to be encouraged to creep a bit.

Just some thoughts from the skeptical side of life.....if you have a center stand, then maybe a remote starter would be less useless.

I suspect you will have to leave the bike's choke on to do cold starts remotely, then scurry up and adjust choke after it starts......I don't know...seems kind of like a useless feature to me.

If you think it's cool then it's all good amd that is what really counts.

·
Registered
5,238 Posts
Yeah, the choke is what had me wondering. If the idea of the remote starter is to start the bike when it's cold out, it's gonna need choke. And if you start it with the choke on, you'll want to be able to run outside within 30 seconds or so to adjust the choke. Seems like a lot of work to save 30 seconds.

But, on the flip-side, I'm a tech guy, and practical or not, sometimes we just have to build something to see if we can do it, so I say, go for it!

I have the Honda service manual for my 1986 VT700. I'm told that the VT700 and the VT750 are the same bike, just bored differently. I could scan/PDF the schematic if that would help you.

Let me know.

--Justin

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey guys,

First off, it's not really a pratical thing to be honest it's more of a gimmick to show off once in a while. I know about the chocke thing but i never had any need for it (except in the winter period). Also i never leave my bike standing on a place where it has the opertunity to roll away. I live in the netherlands which is as flat as a dime ;). Also My bike can be started even with the center stand out (i did that very often) and fibration doesn't really move the bike at all. But thanks for the heads-up (on some bikes, like my uncles harly it would have gone wrong for sure.. or on those weird bmw bikes with the cilinders to the site which makes it shake like hell :lol: )

Tubes_rock that would be very nice indeed. I have been calling around my city (where we have loads of motorcycle shops) and none seem to be having the manual or only offer me a 99 euro all in one shadow manual thing (which in my opinion is very expensive!).

I sent you a pm with some info :wink:

·
Registered
209 Posts
ultimasnake said:
Hey guys,

First off, it's not really a pratical thing to be honest it's more of a gimmick to show off once in a while. I know about the chocke thing but i never had any need for it (except in the winter period). Also i never leave my bike standing on a place where it has the opertunity to roll away. I live in the netherlands which is as flat as a dime ;). Also My bike can be started even with the center stand out (i did that very often) and fibration doesn't really move the bike at all. But thanks for the heads-up (on some bikes, like my uncles harly it would have gone wrong for sure.. or on those weird bmw bikes with the cilinders to the site which makes it shake like hell :lol: )

Tubes_rock that would be very nice indeed. I have been calling around my city (where we have loads of motorcycle shops) and none seem to be having the manual or only offer me a 99 euro all in one shadow manual thing (which in my opinion is very expensive!).

I sent you a pm with some info :wink:
or on those weird bmw bikes with the cilinders to the site which makes it shake like hell :lol: )

If those BMW's 'with the cilinders to the site which makes it shake like hell' are shaking.....there's something terribly wrong with them!!

Of all reciprocating engines, they are the smoothest! They are the engine of choice for aircraft. (at least the ones that don't have turbines) They are so smooth they don't have a need for a balance shaft! Yeah, yeah....I know what you're thinking!....Harley doesn't see a need for them either!! :D :D

·
Registered
5,238 Posts
Olivereaman is right on! A horizontally-opposed engine is about as smooth as they get without going to a turbine. Subaru uses them in their cars, and they are very smooth. They are designed so that the inertial forces of one piston is canceled by the forces of one on the other side. This results in a net-zero inertial force to be transfered into the engine mounts, and then into you. If that beemer is shaking, get that baby into the shop pronto!

I sent the schematic to you, so you should have it in as long as it takes for the bytes to cross the pond.

--Justin

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey guys, Before i got tubes_rock's manual (which i'm about to download).

I cut the wire i thought was the + towards the starter relais. Attached the other wire.... (not even cut it just made the coper visible and connected the other)....

But now asside from the bike not starting (no alarm attached yet) the lights don't turn on at all. They do turn on when i hold the clutch (accept for the turn-signals)

Help what did i do wrong!!!!

also, the colours where the same of the new shadow scheme i had And i couldn't find the plug matching those exact colours :cry: (on which i started tracing lines) So can someone hook me up with a picture of the start relais? (maybe i cut the wire of a thing i THOUGHT was the start-relais :oops: )

1 - 9 of 9 Posts