Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've been looking for a good video of baffle removal for the exhaust thats on my bike but im not able to find anything. do i just drill out these two smaller pipes at the end of the main pipe? are those effectively the baffles? its a VT1100C3, I'll attach pics of the exhaust model, bike, and what i think the baffles are. Thanks in advance guys

Attachments

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
If you cut up an Aero stock muffler you're nuts. Those are $1,113 from Honda IF you can still find one. You won't like the sound afterwards either. Put it on the shelf and buy aftermarket system.

·
Registered
830 Posts
You can remove the can (muffler) and drill a 1inch hole straight into the can from the front (part of can that faces the front of the bike) This will open up the exhaust . You`ll still have the baffles, but will get a little deeper rumble with a little more volume. (this is what I did) Going to 1 1/2 " will give more volume.

I know a guy that gutted his muffle and had a muffler shop install a Cherry Bomb muffler inside his can. Nice sound but pretty expensive. But, he got to keep the same look of the 2 into 1 big Aero exhaust system.

You can go to the Vance and Hines Longshots that will make your bike VERY loud, and you`d lose the look of the original exhaust system.
'
Here`s a link if your really want to get ambitious.

'
'

Plant Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive lighting

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If you cut up an Aero stock muffler you're nuts. Those are $1,113 from Honda IF you can still find one. You won't like the sound afterwards either. Put it on the shelf and buy aftermarket system.
So where is the market to sell them then, If i could sell this exhaust at that cost i could pay for the exhaust set up and tuning necessary to make it all work in harmony. Nuts? No want to be heard and seen, absolutely. more than 40k miles on bikes tells me priority is staying alive over nostalgia. but thanks for the input

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You can remove the can (muffler) and drill a 1inch hole straight into the can from the front (part of can that faces the front of the bike) This will open up the exhaust . You`ll still have the baffles, but will get a little deeper rumble with a little more volume. (this is what I did) Going to 1 1/2 " will give more volume.

I know a guy that gutted his muffle and had a muffler shop install a Cherry Bomb muffler inside his can. Nice sound but pretty expensive. But, he got to keep the same look of the 2 into 1 big Aero exhaust system.

You can go to the Vance and Hines Longshots that will make your bike VERY loud, and you`d lose the look of the original exhaust system.
'
Here`s a link if your really want to get ambitious.

'
'

View attachment 301230
Thank you for being the only one to actually answer my original question. Also im having trouble finding the "longshots" I'd love to go for the loud as heck version but please help me out finding it. even better if it comes in black. If not i guess there's always power coating

·
Registered
'83 VT750C; ‘21 SV650A
2,917 Posts
Yeah, Chrome seems to be more in vogue for the Shadow exhausts. There were a couple of recent threads with owners crying for a stock exhaust to replace their ‘nice, but loud’ aftermarket ones. Can’t remember if it was for your exact model, though.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Years ago when forums were more active with 1100 Aero owners many went to the long shots, but after a while the "fun" of loud pipes wore off and they went back to stock.
So, there might be some used Vance and Hines Long Shots out there.
'
Some just got tired of the neighbors complaints.

'
'
'
'

Tire Wheel Plant Automotive tire Automotive lighting

·
Registered
2009 Shadow Spirit 750
295 Posts
Thank you for being the only one to actually answer my original question. Also im having trouble finding the "longshots" I'd love to go for the loud as heck version but please help me out finding it. even better if it comes in black. If not i guess there's always power coating
I believe there is a reason why you got the suggestions on here that you did... Many have "been there...done that" and down the road every pun intended....regretted it.
If you're just cruising around town that's one thing but if you take longer trips your ears might start to hate you.
At the end of the day it's you bike and your preference..

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
So where is the market to sell them then, If i could sell this exhaust at that cost i could pay for the exhaust set up and tuning necessary to make it all work in harmony. Nuts? No want to be heard and seen, absolutely. more than 40k miles on bikes tells me priority is staying alive over nostalgia. but thanks for the input
You'll want to put it back on soon as you're tired of the noise. .

Reactions: roadsnakes

·
Registered
99' Valkyrie/North Central Indiana
10,145 Posts
The 1100 Aero didn't use the 2 pin motor until 00'/01'. 98'/99' was a single pin motor thus more pleasant sound like the ACE. Now regarding butchering the stock exhaust, don't do it. You will more than likely will be moving on to bigger ride eventually and having the stock exhaust is a good selling feature. If your Aero is 2 pin variant, it will be loud and obnoxious to you and everyone else. Just a ugly sound. Go aftermarket regardless. BTW loud pipes and loud horns DON"T save lives, your defensive driving skills do.

·
Registered
2013 Honda Shadow Phantom 750
4,116 Posts
First of all the “loud pipes save lives” saying is a myth. Maybe back 30 or 40 years ago when people did not rely on A/C so much and actually rode with the windows open it may have worked. But now with A/C, much improved sound insulation for cars, and louder radios I just don’t believe it. Also so many people are oblivious to the world around them it just won’t matter.

As others have said the sound of un-baffled exhaust on these bikes is terrible. You also need to think of the damage that you can be doing to your hearing.

No one on this forum is going to tell you “don’t do it” we merely are offering sound advice to maybe keep you from making a decision that you will regret.

It is your bike, do what you want to do with it.

There is a for sale section in the forum. That would be a good place to offer your stock exhaust for sale.

Good luck with your project.

Eric

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 14 of 14 Posts