Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got an '88 Honda Shadow VLX600 and the speedometer is almost to dim to see anything at night. I could use some help to find a new bulb or LED to plug in to brighten it up. Any tips would be much appreciated. Thanks folks.

Hope you all had a good Christmas season!

·
Premium Member
7,678 Posts
Have you tried just removing the bulb and cleaning things up. Removing almost 30 yrs of dust and grime might go a long way to improving things.

·
Registered
354 Posts
A lot of the bulbs used in motorcycle speedometers come in more than one wattage for the same configuration of bulb. While you have it out a good swabbing with a Q-tip can help a lot. I've done this with good results.

·
Registered
3,084 Posts
A lot of the bulbs used in motorcycle speedometers come in more than one wattage for the same configuration of bulb. While you have it out a good swabbing with a Q-tip can help a lot. I've done this with good results.
Any idea what the bulb number is in a VLX speedo? All I can ever find is just a listing of the voltage and wattage.

·
Registered
354 Posts

·
Registered
2,404 Posts

·
Registered
2,404 Posts

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Originally Posted by Menhir
I had the same question a little over a year ago.

Solved....

Here is a link to the thread ending with the solution I chose.

VLX Speedometer Illumination

That was a while back, are you still happy with the results? Would you do anything different?
Keith
It's been over a year and 10,000 miles later and all is well. No noticeable dimming either. Although playing with a color LED might have been fun, I'm happy with the results. I can't say I would do anything different.

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
Thanks for the reply. I'll replace mine one day the next week or so with that one, mine is pretty dim!

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
Just wanted to thank you folks for the information. I started last night in search of the Sylvania bulb and could not find one so in a hurry I got a "Pilot" brand from wally world, short story its a POS(I know if I had only waited and bought the correct bulb). So on the way to work this afternoon I went to a different wally world returned the pos and got the Sylvania 168,194,2825 Led Bulb. (Just for grins & giggles the Sylvania bulb is rated at 50 lumens which does not sound like much, but its much brighter than stock.) World of difference, much brighter than the stock bulb, now I'll be able to actually read the speedo at night!

Have you tried just removing the bulb and cleaning things up. Removing almost 30 yrs of dust and grime might go a long way to improving things.
I tried cleaning mine and while there was some improvement it still was not very bright.

I had the same question a little over a year ago.

Solved....

Here is a link to the thread ending with the solution I chose.

http://www.hondashadow.net/forum/72-technical-discussion/229682-vlx-speedometer-illumination.html
and Menhir thanks for doing the leg work, that bulb is just what I needed!

before

after

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Whelp i got her in! I'm very happy with the results. Very fast shipping, took me about 6 minutes start to finish to install.

I went with this LED -- https://www.superbrightleds.com/mor...led-bulb-5-smd-led-wide-angle-wedge-base/206/

I did the white color, since the MPH and everything are already green i figured white would probably do the best.

This is how it was, quite dim, especially at night. Couldn't hardly see how fast i was going!

i took off the 2 screws on the back of the speedo, then it slid out. It looked like this. The 2 wires with the rubber casing around them is the light. I just tugged on the wires and it slid out.

It looked like this

Then i poped out the old bulb and slid in the LED and tested it, She lit up like a kid in a candy store.

Then i put it all back together and i could actually see my speedo! Improved alot and it took me 6 minutes and about 8$ to do. This will help me out a lot in my riding.

Hope this helps some folks out! It was easy to do and will help more than you can imagine. It took me 6 minutes to do in 0 degree weather!

·
Premium Member
3,352 Posts
Excellent pictoral!
Thanx.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts