Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
VT750
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey crew... Just bought my first Shadow. :) The guy I bought it off was not sure exactly what it is.
He said it was a 2005 VT750......The rego papers say it is a 2009... May be a bit of a Frankenstein
Bit confused as to what it is. Can anyone help me in identifying what make model it is...

·
Registered
06' VT1100C/99' GL1500C Valkyrie
8,758 Posts
VT750DCA or VT750DCB Spirit. Can't tell for sure as it has been repainted/debadged.

·
Registered
VT750
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I thought that for a bit but it looks more like an 2009 Aero but the guards seem wrong. The Spirit seemed to have different shocks on them.

·
Registered
8,758 Posts
The exhaust is the difference. Spirit has two separate mufflers. The Aero has 2 in to one muffler.

·
Registered
2001 Shadow Spirit 750
143 Posts
Looks like a 2009 Shadow Aero with a different front fender.

·
Premium Member
7,552 Posts
Looks like it started out as an Aero.

·
Registered
8,758 Posts
Looks like it started out as an Aero.
After a closer look at the fender rails, Aero would be my final best guess with dual pipes exhaust.

·
Registered
2007 VT750DC Spirit “chopper”
982 Posts
After a closer look at the fender rails, Aero would be my final best guess with dual pipes exhaust.
After 2007 all 750 Aeros shipped from Honda with dual exhaust. The 2-1 was a carryover from the ACE and only lasted from 2004 - 2007.

OP definitely has an 07-09 Aero with modded fenders, the shocks, wheels, radiator sunk into the frame and lights are a dead giveaway.

I tried to zoom in on the VIN badge and it appears to have darker first digits than last digits... I know this is a “dumb mode” question but you DID compare the frame VIN to the VIN of the title you have...yes?

·
Registered
11,361 Posts
After 2007 all 750 Aeros shipped from Honda with dual exhaust. The 2-1 was a carryover from the ACE and only lasted from 2004 - 2007.

OP definitely has an 07-09 Aero with modded fenders, the shocks, wheels, radiator sunk into the frame and lights are a dead giveaway.

I tried to zoom in on the VIN badge and it appears to have darker first digits than last digits... I know this is a “dumb mode” question but you DID compare the frame VIN to the VIN of the title you have...yes?
Seems like a lot of work for not much difference. I wonder if it was a salvage? It also has side covers that are not off an Aero.

·
Premium Member
1999 Shadow 750 ACE VT750CD3 Modified
2,925 Posts
Looks like a 2009 Shadow Aero and somebody debadged it, trimmed the fenders front and rear with a jig saw and repainted it.
The exhaust looks like an aftermarket replacement.
I'm always a little leery when the story doesn't match the bike, but if the VIN matches the paperwork I'd think you are good to go, otherwise you may have a pieced together bike of questionable legal history.

·
Registered
11,116 Posts
JH2RC50U Z9K500450
GOOGLE how to read a VIN. It's just good to know so that you can check a bike out before you buy when you're ready for your next one.
Different fenders / wheels / exhaust / new paint....could be the owner did some work and decided to sell, or the bike was crashed and then prettied up to sell.

I'd make sure the VIN on the engine, frame, and paperwork matches up. If it does not, the history of the bike might not be so nice.

I think it looks good, hope it works out for you.

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
14,460 Posts
Nice looking bike .
But the story reminds me of Johnny Cash's "One piece at a time" song.

Reactions: Froth

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hey crew... Just bought my first Shadow. :) The guy I bought it off was not sure exactly what it is.
He said it was a 2005 VT750......The rego papers say it is a 2009... May be a bit of a Frankenstein
Bit confused as to what it is. Can anyone help me in identifying what make model it is...
View attachment 290131 View attachment 290130

View attachment 290129
Definitely a Honda shadow probably a spirit. I have a 2014 Spirit, Many of the same parts and styling.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Look for the imprinted VIN which is cast into the frame on the neck of the bike typically. Where the fork tubes or center of the fork tubes is at. There may be other locations as well. Usually there is a sticker but it may be gone. So clean the area and look for it stamped into the steel frame. Thats your best bet.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts