Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys looking for some help here. I just swapped out my bars to 17" apes changed my cables and ran my wiring internally in my bars.....No my dilemma My bike starts up and idles great, all the electrical in the switches is working great but when I put my bike into gear it stalls out instantly, it won't even start when i have the bike in gear with the clutch in either. Here is my question, what would cause my bike to run great in neutral and die as soon as i put it into gear? Could my clutch not be adjusted propperly? Is there some type of electrical I could have crossed? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

· Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
good idea, wich ones are they I don't have a wiring diagram....I was curious if it had something like a clutch/neutral safety switch....they symptoms are the same, but I don't have a wiring diagram for my bike which is an 05 Sabre

· Registered
423 Posts
AKM,
If you ran all the wiring internally, you'll need to retrieve the one's that go to the clutch safety switch. I don't have a schematic for your bike to tell you which color wires they are, all I can tell you is that they would have been the only two wires that did not run inside the harness cover all the way into the switchbox. You would have had to unplug them from the switch before you could pull the wiring through the apes, remember doing that?

Brian

· Registered
249 Posts
This may sound silly, and i'm not trying to be a smart ass, but is your sidestand up. That's exactly what will happen if it's down, of if something is wrong with the switch.

· Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
my kickstand was up, that was the first thing I checked...thanks though sometimes it is the silly mistakes that get us the most confused! I will have to check my clutch wires, I see them plugging in to the clutch lever, my question is they are both black, does it matter wich side they plug into at the switch and are they both a ground?

· Registered
3,761 Posts
I don't think it's your clutch safety switch... and here's why....

You are able to start your bike in neutral and, by your description,
it dies when you put it in gear.

When you are riding, your clutch lever is out (switch is open)
and your bike is in gear...

The clutch safety switch only prevents the starter from working,
it won't stall the bike once it is running.

The only switches that will stall the bike once they are running is the
kill switch (doubtful, since it starts), the ignition switch (doubtful since it starts) or the kick stand switch.

The only thing it can be is the kick stand switch.
It's the only one that will kill the engine, once it's running, just by putting
the bike in gear.

Get some WD-40 or electrical contact cleaner and clean the kick stand switch really good.
It's pretty common for them to get gummed up and not work correctly.

· Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey guys thanks for all the help guess what was wrong!!! My kickstand was down :oops: I had been putting in late nights and was tired and excited, oh well can you believe I am a master auto tech to boot!

· Registered
392 Posts
AKMorris said:
Hey guys thanks for all the help guess what was wrong!!! My kickstand was down :oops: I had been putting in late nights and was tired and excited, oh well can you believe I am a master auto tech to boot!
master tech.
do u work for ford

my father and i had the same problem with his midnight venture a few weeks ago. we changed all the fluids(coolant brake,oil clutch) and every time he would put in gear it would rachet(grind) and then stall. we tried bleeding the clutch about 5 or 6 times and then got fed up and said to heck with this we'll try again in the morning before we go for a ride. then the phone rings at 1 am and its him saying he work up and figured it out, the kick stand was down. and sure enough thats all it was.
and we are both car mechanics.
i am a senoir tech at a ford dealer

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.