Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a new rider. my husband bought me a 1985 Honda Shadow VT700c, and as I'm sure you can imagine with the a:wink:ge of the bike the pipes are rusted in several places. This is my learner bike and can't invest the funds to purchase brand new pipes, but I do want my bike to look good.
So if anyone knows of a website where I can get step by step instructions on how to wrap them properly, it would be so helpful. I want to do this by myself with just a lil help.
So if anyone knows of a website that could give me step by step simple instructions I would very much appreciate it.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
i don't understand wrapping pipes, don't care for the look at all. Any one know where this started? I have seen it on race car headers where it lowers the underhood temperatures. But on a bike, why?

·
Registered
188 Posts
your pipes essentially help carry heat away from the combustion chamber.
your engine will run hotter with wrapped pipes in theory, if only a little bit but it should be measurable. you may have to run a grade higher gas OR possibly a colder plug to keep from "potentially" pre-ignition due to excess heat........

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
According to an old man that I had as an instructor in automotive class in collage you can get more horse power out of an engine by wrapping the header pipes in heat tape, basically heat = pressure.

Use flat black paint spray paint and put a thin stripe down then header pipe, start the engine and let it warm up, the heat will cook off the paint a certain distance down the pipe where it stops and where the remainder of the paint stays is where you wrap the pipes to.

This of course will affect your back pressure to a certain degree and the carb might need a little tweaking to get the a/f ratio back to something that it likes.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
This thread absolutely amazes me....... where has Litnin been?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts