Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help!! I just bought a 2000 VT1100C2 sabre and come to find out it has a oil leak! It is driping off the crankcase just behind the oil filter. I just did a oil change and the last owner had about 5 quarts of oil in the bike. I know that could of been the problem but the leak is still there. Any help with this would be great. I am new to working on motorcycles and don't want to blow the motor.

jason

·
Registered
5,377 Posts
How much oil is in the airbox, have yoe opened the drain? How much oil did you put in? how did you check it? You are going to have to find the source, I can't do it for you? Is filter on correctly?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Sounds like you have a gas leak. The gas leaks from the petcock or whereever, finds its way into the case and ups the volume of fluid in the case. I would find or rule out a gas leak before running it again, the change the oil. Gas/Oil is a killer of older bikes, but if caught in time you should be fine. Best of luck.

·
Registered
5,377 Posts
Sounds like you have a gas leak. The gas leaks from the petcock or whereever, finds its way into the case and ups the volume of fluid in the case. I would find or rule out a gas leak before running it again, the change the oil. Gas/Oil is a killer of older bikes, but if caught in time you should be fine. Best of luck.

Where do you get gas leak from. OP doesn't mention Gas smell or anything. Besides Shadows are pump fed. Fuel leaks go on the ground not the motor, like a gravity fed system. Fuel smell is more a sign of bad AF Mixture, miss-adjusted floats or weak rings.

·
Premium Member
2,270 Posts
Help!! I just bought a 2000 VT1100C2 sabre and come to find out it has a oil leak! It is driping off the crankcase just behind the oil filter. I just did a oil change and the last owner had about 5 quarts of oil in the bike. I know that could of been the problem but the leak is still there. Any help with this would be great. I am new to working on motorcycles and don't want to blow the motor.

jason
If I read you correctly, it started leaking after you changed the oil? If so, it's pretty obvious--filter probably isn't seated right.
If I don't read you correctly, it's still most likely a simple fix.
First, take a photo and post the pic.
Second, remove the filter, clean it all up, reinstall it, and run it again.
Check here again after you've done that.
As a general rule, especially since you're new to bikes, start with the simple stuff and rule it out first. Most times, you will get lucky and find it fast. You've got a good, reliable machine.
One step and a time. You do more than one thing at a time, and you can't be sure what makes a difference.

·
Registered
5,377 Posts
I get it from working on older bikes. Too much oil usually means gas getting into oil. Never mind, apparently... :roll:
Hey I was just making sure I wasn't missing something. It is possible to flood the carbs and for the fuel to overflow them. But, because of their orientation the excess should drain out the overflow in the bowls long before it flows down the throat. Throat is about 1" above the O-flow and the pump is about 8-10" below that.

For the OP I would look to the oil change as the source of the leak, before I suspected something major, filter not seated, leaking oil cap, spillage, exccess from being overfilled with oil, missing filter o-ring or OLD o-ring still stuck to the flang, ect.

·
Registered
06' VT1100C/99' GL1500C Valkyrie
9,026 Posts
I'd say you might have the old filter seal stuck on with the new filter. This has been happening alot lately on my other vehicles but it's a part of inspection process while changing oil. I use Supertech filters most of the time.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Could definitely be from that old seal. I've done that on the Mother-In-Law's Ford Escape and it scared the crap outta me when I started it - the oil went everywhere. Sure enough, the seal was stuck to the motor. Always check the old filter...
If you can't figure out where the oil came from, clean up the wet area and put some baby powder there, then run it. In a short time you should be able to identify the source of the leak.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts