Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 20 of 248 Posts

·
Registered
23,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I am dressing for the crash ( meaning I am expecting to crash) then..

WHY THE HECK AM I RIDING TO BEGIN WITH?

So let me ask.. if you think there is that much of a risk
that you might actually crash
that the probability of it is that high in your mind
and knowing that you can indeed suffer life altering ( or ending)
injuries despite the gear you wear..

Why bother? Why not just stop..why put yourself in such an inevitable path of pain..why put your family through such worry, and most of all..why lie to yourself that gear might help when countless ATGATT riders die daily?

Not trying to start a debate but I sincerely want to know. If it ( riding) is so dangerous in your mind then doing it seems completely foolish so why continue?

·
Premium Member
192 Posts
Why live when you know that death is inevitable? For the thrill my friend, for the thrill...

But back to your original question...I dunno???

·
Registered
837 Posts
If I am dressing for the crash ( meaning I am expecting to crash) then..

WHY THE HECK AM I RIDING TO BEGIN WITH?

So let me ask.. if you think there is that much of a risk
that you might actually crash
that the probability of it is that high in your mind
and knowing that you can indeed suffer life altering ( or ending)
injuries despite the gear you wear..

Why bother? Why not just stop..why put yourself in such an inevitable path of pain..why put your family through such worry, and most of all..why lie to yourself that gear might help when countless ATGATT riders die daily?

Not trying to start a debate but I sincerely want to know. If it ( riding) is so dangerous in your mind then doing it seems completely foolish so why continue?
maybe we are "programmed" to....look at most cars,,,they NOW have air bags seat belts ABS brakes are you expecting to crash?,,,look at any boat on the water they MUST have life jackets flares first aid kits,,,are you expecting to sink?? "why bother" getting into your car or boat??

I wear a Kevlar Vest everytime a put my uniform on and hit the streets,,am I expecting to get shot?? (more cops are killed by cars than by bullets)

when I wreck dive (SCUBA) 140 feet deep I strap on 2 ,,80 cube tanks and a 13 cube pony bottle,thats 3 air tanks,I wear 2 regulators,,just incase one blows out.
the list goes on and on on what some of us do to ,,,like the Boy Scouts " be prepared" just in case something goes wrong

remember that little ol boat Titanic??

·
Registered
23,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
maybe we are "programmed" to....look at most cars,,,they NOW have air bags seat belts ABS brakes are you expecting to crash?,,,look at any boat on the water they MUST have life jackets flares first aid kits,,,are you expecting to sink?? "why bother" getting into your car or boat??

I wear a Kevlar Vest everytime a put my uniform on and hit the streets,,am I expecting to get shot?? (more cops are killed by cars than by bullets)

when I wreck dive (SCUBA) 140 feet deep I strap on 2 ,,80 cube tanks and a 13 cube pony bottle,thats 3 air tanks,I wear 2 regulators,,just incase one blows out.
the list goes on and on on what some of us do to ,,,like the Boy Scouts " be prepared" just in case something goes wrong

remember that little ol boat Titanic??
I remember the Titanic.. seems to me that the captain was trying to crash considering the decisions he made ;) Titanic - Why did Titanic Sink?

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
If I knew with 100% certainty that drunk in a car, or someone texting while driving, or some young teenagers wouldn't do something that would lead to me being in a crash, I wouldn't wear a helmet, jacket, gloves, boot or any other protective gear.
But I don't know that.
I'm a careful rider, but I know I can't control the world around me. So because of that small chance that someone will cause me to be in a crash I dress for it, just in case. I know that in the vast majority of crashes, protective gear will be my friend.

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
How many riders didn't die because they wore the equipment?

Dingo.

2010 Honda Shadow Phantom- Custom

This one sent from my other 'droid device

·
Registered
23,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How many riders didn't die because they wore the equipment?

Dingo.

2010 Honda Shadow Phantom- Custom

This one sent from my other 'droid device
mmm I dunno.. how many didn't die not wearing gear? That isn't the question though..the question is if you dress for the crash.. then why ride if you are expecting a crash?

·
Premium Member
8,072 Posts
I ride for pure enjoyment. And besides its a rush that you can not get busted for.

·
Registered
4,478 Posts
Pre-marriage I rode free in this great Live Free or Die state, NH.
I shouldn't be here now. But I am. I suffer from left-turn-A-hole-itis.
My gear that day? Workboots, Leather jacket 1/2 zipped, jeans. No gloves. No helmet.
I should have died that day.

Post marriage and kids, I still have it in my blood, in my bones. The desire to ride.
Can I go without a helmet? For a long time, no... I couldn't. Can I now? Sure, I have ridden here and there... 50 miles, 100 miles with no helmet. Jeans. Boots. T-shirt.

I just got accustomed to wearing the helmet. Sometimes I really want to take it off and feel the wind like I used to. I'll admit it... sometimes .... I don't really get "scared" about the what if while I'm not wearing one... hell I already made it once without one.

I guess I'm just too used to having it. And the riding I do now, I can't go without it or I'm stuck in NH. All the states around me I have to wear it.

Don't judge me.
I still love the ride like I used to.
I still love the ride...as much as you love it.

·
Registered
865 Posts
If i spent a lot of time thinking about either having a crash or thinking about avoiding one i would probably quit riding. It would no longer be enjoyable for me. Not that I'm reckless, I just don't spend a lot of time thinking "what if?". Except for a helmet which is required in WV, i only gear up for physical comfort, not safety.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
Why don't we just ride naked?
Why do we buy collision insurance if we don't plan to collide?
Why do we brush our teeth when they will eventually give out anyway?

I ride because it pleases me. No further justification is needed.

I wear the gear I do because I prefer the level of protection it affords while under no illusion that it is magical suit of ultimate protection against any, all, or most harm. No further justification is needed.

I have never set out for a ride with the conviction that I will eventually crash. Rather, I ride using the God given gift of rational thought that allows us to think ahead to avoid the allegedly inevitable crash that is anything but inevitable, but is possible none the less.

Jimmy Buffett sang, "I'd rather die while I'm living than live while I'm dead."

·
Registered
23,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Pre-marriage I rode free in this great Live Free or Die state, NH.
I shouldn't be here now. But I am. I suffer from left-turn-A-hole-itis.
My gear that day? Workboots, Leather jacket 1/2 zipped, jeans. No gloves. No helmet.
I should have died that day.

Post marriage and kids, I still have it in my blood, in my bones. The desire to ride.
Can I go without a helmet? For a long time, no... I couldn't. Can I now? Sure, I have ridden here and there... 50 miles, 100 miles with no helmet. Jeans. Boots. T-shirt.

I just got accustomed to wearing the helmet. Sometimes I really want to take it off and feel the wind like I used to. I'll admit it... sometimes .... I don't really get "scared" about the what if while I'm not wearing one... hell I already made it once without one.

I guess I'm just too used to having it. And the riding I do now, I can't go without it or I'm stuck in NH. All the states around me I have to wear it.

Don't judge me.
I still love the ride like I used to.
I still love the ride...as much as you love it.
gotta tell you brother, you are one of the few people who look good with a lid sounds corny but you have a Knight Rider vibe.. no not KITT..more like

·
Registered
837 Posts
I think we ALL saw the pictures of your wifes new car...tell me C.D. when you got that new car home did you....rip out the air bags,,cut out the seat belts??? isn't your wifes new car "dressed for a crash?? " LOL

also the point I was trying to make about the Titanic was.....maybe just MAYBE if they dressed that ship for a crash(sinking) if they had MORE life boats maybe a few more people would have lived???

and if I dress for a crash (helmet jacket boots gloves ect.)#1 why do you care?? am I offending you? am I hurting your feelings? it does NOT mean that I am expecting to crash,maybe I like to wear the gear? (which I don't always do),,just like if I see you wear your tie dye shirt I don't jump to the conclusion that you are "expecting" to go to a "Dead" or Phish concert.

·
Registered
4,478 Posts
gotta tell you brother, you are one of the few people who look good with a lid sounds corny but you have a Knight Rider vibe.. no not KITT..more like
Wish I could find it, back in 2000 I had a Russell Crow Gladiator helmet. Been looking for a Santa hat big enough for my FF. No luck there. :)

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
23,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
I think we ALL saw the pictures of your wifes new car...tell me C.D. when you got that new car home did you....rip out the air bags,,cut out the seat belts??? isn't your wifes new car "dressed for a crash?? " LOL

also the point I was trying to make about the Titanic was.....maybe just MAYBE if they dressed that ship for a crash(sinking) if they had MORE life boats maybe a few more people would have lived???

and if I dress for a crash (helmet jacket boots gloves ect.)#1 why do you care?? am I offending you? am I hurting your feelings? it does NOT mean that I am expecting to crash,maybe I like to wear the gear? (which I don't always do),,just like if I see you wear your tie dye shirt I don't jump to the conclusion that you are "expecting" to go to a "Dead" or Phish concert.

Actually I am the one who got the new ( to me ) car, seat belts are buckled behind the seat where they will remain.. I admit I was a little pissed when I found I cannot disable the passenger.. I am not in the habit of tearing vehicles apart but it would not bother me in the least if they air bag were removed..simply not needed..instead of getting bent out of shape you could have simply stated what you stated..that would have been the answer..as to why? I am curious...I apologize if that offends you.. apparently it is hurting your feelings oh and you can assume whatever you like about me.. I like the Dead and folk music too.

Edit.. I know the point you were making.. my point is had they done what they should of, that would never have been a factor

Edit..curious, you want to know why I cared? Why do you.. why respond to a question you had no desire to ask and were seemingly offended by?

·
Registered
4,478 Posts
oh and you can assume whatever you like about me..
Those who have not met CrazyDave do not know him.
Even fewer of those who have met him.... will admit it ;)
In the sincerest of ways CD.

·
Registered
406 Posts
I have never dressed to crash but always rode not to crash. Actually I never worried much about it. If I thought I was going to crash every time I rode the bike I would just quit riding.

Been riding since 1958 and haven't crashed yet so probably won't start worring now. Just lucky I guess.

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
I ride with good gear if I am doing the miles, if just short trips not so much.

I have only dropped my bike once on the road and I am glad I had the gear, It wore through pants and pads, Took a hit to the head (with helmet on) that had me loose color from my vision for a while, Wore the ends of my gloves of and a little of my fingers and had heat blisters in places

It was my own fault as I was still a little slow from the night before... Taking the bike to wake me up might not have been the best idea, The rear stepped out on a greasy spot..... to slow to catch it.

Illegal to ride without a helmet here but I still do a little home to work and off road when playing around on the dirt, Probably better for the public to hide my ugly mug anyway :D

I wont stop riding because some dick might take me out (even if it was me last time), I put gear on to limit the injuries if they do, Only when I cant get on a bike will I stop riding.... then its time for a trike :p

1 - 20 of 248 Posts