Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I got back from Felixstowe today and among other things I sat down and watched Pinky and the Brain..are you pondering what I'm pondering?

some clever stuff going on there..but I get bored when I can't get on with the bike repairs because I've run out of light or heat or energy or spares, I don't sleep as much as I used to (unless I'm riding then I find myself dozing off) so I've got time on my hands, anyway it was a mixed ride, I left some bikers behind and some bikers left me behind, and as my headstock bearings grated away I thought quite fondly of the Vmax..The hours slowly passed and my mind wandered as it does on long journeys where I have to keep looking at the speedo while I try to avoid my next ticket.

Suddenly I wondered just how fast I was travelling, so now I got out the calculator and worked it out at about 66640 mph.

Check my workings to see if I'm right.

I am sitting on a metal ball which is 25,000 miles in circumference and rotates once every day...so I am spinning at about 1,000 miles an hour.

Now someone with a very long tape measure once measured the distance to the sun and said it was 1AU or 93,000,000 miles away (more or less).

We rotate the sun once every year so.

93m x 2 will give us the diameter of our rotation as 186m which x Pi will give the circumference of our rotation each year so the total distance we travel is about 584m miles divided by the number of hours in a year which is 8,760 and then add the 1k we are spinning at..and thats where I got my figures from..

That leaves me with a question..If I am travelling at that speed while spinning at 1,000 mph..Why do I get dizzy on funfair rides.

John.

·
Registered
5,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's 00:41 now or 41 minutes past midnight..so we in Britain must have invented time travel..unfortunately we can only travel forward..so far I have travelled over 67 years into the future..

John

·
Registered
90 Posts
I have it on good authority that good beer will attune your senses to the vertigo caused by the planetary rotation. This explains why people who imbibe too much simply can't stay upright. Narf.

·
Registered
5,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have it on good authority that good beer will attune your senses to the vertigo caused by the planetary rotation. This explains why people who imbibe too much simply can't stay upright. Narf.
It is impossible for a full grown Brit, Strine, or K1W1 to imbibe too much.

John.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Ok I got back from Felixstowe today and among other things I sat down and watched Pinky and the Brain..are you pondering what I'm pondering?

some clever stuff going on there..but I get bored when I can't get on with the bike repairs because I've run out of light or heat or energy or spares, I don't sleep as much as I used to (unless I'm riding then I find myself dozing off) so I've got time on my hands, anyway it was a mixed ride, I left some bikers behind and some bikers left me behind, and as my headstock bearings grated away I thought quite fondly of the Vmax..The hours slowly passed and my mind wandered as it does on long journeys where I have to keep looking at the speedo while I try to avoid my next ticket.

Suddenly I wondered just how fast I was travelling, so now I got out the calculator and worked it out at about 66640 mph.

Check my workings to see if I'm right.

I am sitting on a metal ball which is 25,000 miles in circumference and rotates once every day...so I am spinning at about 1,000 miles an hour.

Now someone with a very long tape measure once measured the distance to the sun and said it was 1AU or 93,000,000 miles away (more or less).

We rotate the sun once every year so.

93m x 2 will give us the diameter of our rotation as 186m which x Pi will give the circumference of our rotation each year so the total distance we travel is about 584m miles divided by the number of hours in a year which is 8,760 and then add the 1k we are spinning at..and thats where I got my figures from..

That leaves me with a question..If I am travelling at that speed while spinning at 1,000 mph..Why do I get dizzy on funfair rides.

John.
"cause you didn't abuse yourself enough as a young man! :grin:

I have tried that inner soul searching/wondering about the universe stuff before, and it leaves me dizzy. More fun and fulfilling to look at boobs!

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
I think you're pretty close but not quite. The circumference is at the equator, which you aren't, then what direction were you riding? Also, you didn't take into account your altitude and the effect it has on your watch; that Einstein thingy....g

·
Registered
5,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think you're pretty close but not quite. The circumference is at the equator, which you aren't, then what direction were you riding? Also, you didn't take into account your altitude and the effect it has on your watch; that Einstein thingy....g
I didn't allow for wobble either but I did use the words more or less, and about, as for the watch, I have very big hands and wrists so it is difficult to find a watch big enough to fit me, when I do the straps break..about two months ago one of the chain stores here was selling cheap Chinese quartz watches reduced from £5 to £2.50 with metal straps, and they had one that fitted me with numbers I could read on the dial..Two weeks later my daughter came to visit me and I made some smart crack about something that provoked a punch..now I am used to people taking a swing at me so my hand came up to block the punch and she hit my new watch and broke the crystal and hands..I can tell the time by the sun..if it's daylight it's time for a ride, if it's dark it's bedtime.

John.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Yikes markspike, my pain from reading and :mrgreen:UNDERSTANDING IT:mrgreen: gives me severe pain much lower and to the rear!:lol:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.