Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm 6-3 with a 37" inseam, old and have hip trouble, so mods had to be made to fit my bike. I had to install 6" forward controls. I've ridden with the new controls and they work awesome. I also had to replace the exhaust system. The previous owner cut the mufflers off and the bike had open pipes. Way too loud for me. I also painted the bike except the frame, which was already painted matte black. All the parts were sanded, primed, painted twice, clear coated in matte clear, compounded, polished and waxed.

New Controls. Yes, way forward

·
Premium Member
11,278 Posts
Nice work. Any more planned? Not suggesting any is needed, but once a fellow starts, few stop. I've added only risers and windshield, engine guards and hwy pegs. Then later the mustang seat, and much later the sissy bar and luggage rack. I'm kinda done for a while. (according to the wife)

·
Premium Member
4,592 Posts
looks good enjoy the ride. :)

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm planning new chrome switch covers, billet brake and clutch levers, custom chrome pegs, etc. Lot's of little stuff just to play around.

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
Nice work. Any more planned? Not suggesting any is needed, but once a fellow starts, few stop. I've added only risers and windshield, engine guards and hwy pegs. Then later the mustang seat, and much later the sissy bar and luggage rack. I'm kinda done for a while. (according to the wife)
Same problem I have!:lol:

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Nice job! Bike looks real nice. It's good to hear another "taller" person enjoying the VLX. I also added 5.5" forward controls to mine and at 6'1" it really made a big difference in how comfortable the ride is on a VLX. Many people say there too cramped on the VLX but adding the forward controls makes them a real nice ride.

·
Banned
5,100 Posts
Nice job! Bike looks real nice. It's good to hear another "taller" person enjoying the VLX. I also added 5.5" forward controls to mine and at 6'1" it really made a big difference in how comfortable the ride is on a VLX. Many people say there too cramped on the VLX but adding the forward controls makes them a real nice ride.
+1^ :-o

·
Registered
4,627 Posts
Looking good, great you got it to be comfortable for you!
Whenever I even talk about something to buy for my bike I get a look from my wife that says no. But if it comes to tools or safety issues its a big yes, go it it you need that! After the thread about brake fluid I'm getting a bleeder kit, saves money and keeps us safe!
Just have to think of safety reasons for everything else I want to do!
Keep us posted on the next mod!:D

·
Registered
354 Posts
Very nicely done job. Just love to see one finished, for now.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Just checked your picture for the 5.5" extension kit you used. I seriously considered that kit but I got an extra .5" with the one I bought. I needed every single inch or portion thereof I could get. I've never owned a motorcycle before so it took me about 3 hours to install the kit. It had no instructions. The hardest part was installing the shift extension rod. It was a pain in the you know what.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Just checked your picture for the 5.5" extension kit you used. I seriously considered that kit but I got an extra .5" with the one I bought. I needed every single inch or portion thereof I could get. I've never owned a motorcycle before so it took me about 3 hours to install the kit. It had no instructions. The hardest part was installing the shift extension rod. It was a pain in the you know what.

Actually I didn't add them because I was cramped on my bike. This is my first bike and one of the first mods I read about. I don't get instructions either but after laying out the parts it looked pretty straight forward.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
60 Posts
I do agree that a Sissy bar and a mustang seat would make your motorcycle look more beautiful and helpful too ;) and here are some options you can choose from Sissy Bar Bags. Motorcycle Luggage Bags For the Sissy Bar Seat. as I have bought them for my motorcycle for a cheap price so do have a look at them

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I do agree that a Sissy bar and a mustang seat would make your motorcycle look more beautiful and helpful too ;) and here are some options you can choose from Sissy Bar Bags. Motorcycle Luggage Bags For the Sissy Bar Seat. as I have bought them for my motorcycle for a cheap price so do have a look at them
Thanks for the option. But as I stated earlier I have bad hips. No way I can put a bar or pad behind me and still get my leg over it. I was hit by a car while directing traffic as a police officer back in 1980 when I was 25 years old. The hit and run driver, she was caught the next day, ruined my hips for the rest of my life.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Thanks for the option. But as I stated earlier I have bad hips. No way I can put a bar or pad behind me and still get my leg over it. I was hit by a car while directing traffic as a police officer back in 1980 when I was 25 years old. The hit and run driver, she was caught the next day, ruined my hips for the rest of my life.

I am really sorry to hear that never knew that

1 - 18 of 18 Posts