·
Registered
1999 VT1100C2 A. C. E.
9,209 Posts
Paulie said:
adlowe said:
This thing happening?
Even if I have to go alone.
Yeah, you've had your gear packed for a couple of weeks now.

You mentioned meeting up along US50 in WV. I'm guessing that means you'd be heading west through southern PA or MD -- we might be able to meet up along there. Or you could be coming down I95 then west on I70 -- making the Winchester, VA area a better target. Either way would work for me -- Gettysburg is almost exactly 500 miles (taking roads I like as much as possible) from my house; that's(about as far as I'd plan on going in a day this far removed from a reliable weather forecast. There's supposed to be some really good riding roads in PA just south of US30 and a bit west of Gettysburg that I've wanted to check out.

Anyway, I'm guessing you're thinking of meeting up somewhere west of you on Friday (June 25th?) morning then heading south for lunch around Afton, VA (this place? -- Barry, it's maybe 10 miles east of Waynesboro.) then cruising down the BRP and getting to the Otter Creek campground sometime around 3 PM. Is that right?

·
Registered
7,345 Posts
I was thinking about Clarksburg WV. Then taking 250 into Afton in the morning. We would need to get an early start to make lunch though. Lots of twisties and almost 200 miles. Clarksburg is about 400 mi from Det. and 300 from Wilmington. Consider my age. :lol:

·
Registered
1999 VT1100C2 A. C. E.
9,209 Posts
Paulie said:
I was thinking about Clarksburg WV.
That is a LOT farther west and south than I expected from you, considering your age and all. :D That's a piece of cake for me -- just under 400 miles from home on roads I know extremely well all the way to Athens, OH. (I was just on those roads, both directions, earlier this month.) This looks like a decent place to spend Thursday night, except maybe not if you're from Rochester, NY. Or we could even go a little east and find a place in Bridgeport.

The ride from Clarksburg to Afton looks good; if we average around 45 mph then an 8 AM start would have us at the brewery right around noon -- a good rally point if any folks from south or east are joining us.

·
Registered
7,345 Posts
adlowe said:
The ride from Clarksburg to Afton looks good; if we average around 45 mph then an 8 AM start would have us at the brewery right around noon -- a good rally point if any folks from south or east are joining us.
Yes, but we'll have to ride like hell to get a potty break. :lol:

Rochester N.Y.? You'll have to explain that.

I don't care where we stay, Clarksburg is about 350miles for me. That really is a perfect ride and that part for US50 from Winchester to Clarksburg is supposed to be one of the nicest rides in the country. The guys on sport touring talk about it all the time.

·
Registered
7,345 Posts
adlowe said:
Paulie said:
Rochester N.Y.? You'll have to explain that.
Five online reviews on the place; 4 are good, the other from a guy in Rochester, NY -- he trashed the place.
There is hot water and the sheets are free of bodily fluids, it must be first class accomodations. :lol:

·
Registered
7,345 Posts
rickbb said:
So it it carved in stone for June 25th at Otter Creek?
I hope those dates suit you. Somebody has to help me out of that tent in the morning. :lol:

·
Registered
944 Posts
So it sounds like this whole thing is a definite.

Anyone know who we have in at this point?

I can make it up to Otter Creek in one day, but I'd be in late. What's the plan for meeting up there? If it's earlier, I'll probably head up a day early and stop somewhere along the way.

·
Registered
7,345 Posts
violette said:
So it sounds like this whole thing is a definite.

Anyone know who we have in at this point?

I can make it up to Otter Creek in one day, but I'd be in late. What's the plan for meeting up there? If it's earlier, I'll probably head up a day early and stop somewhere along the way.
I think we'll be meeting in Afton Va. for lunch on Saturday. It is right off the first exit of the BRP on US50. I hope someone remembers the name of the joint. Anyway that is about 60 miles north of Otter Creek so plan for a little more mileage on the first day. Art and I are taking two days down too. You should shoot for Greensboro NC on the first day, that is 330 miles from you according to mapquest. Then you should be able to hook up with Rickbb and Denisep on the next day.

·
Registered
944 Posts
Paulie said:
I think we'll be meeting in Afton Va. for lunch on Saturday. It is right off the first exit of the BRP on US50. I hope someone remembers the name of the joint. Anyway that is about 60 miles north of Otter Creek so plan for a little more mileage on the first day. Art and I are taking two days down too. You should shoot for Greensboro NC on the first day, that is 330 miles from you according to mapquest. Then you should be able to hook up with Rickbb and Denisep on the next day.
Sounds about right to me. I'll take Friday and Monday and plan for a stop somewhere around Greensboro. I'll take Monday so that I can either head back over 2 days or just have a recovery day off after a long day of riding.

I have a tent. I need to pick up a new sleeping bag, though, as the only one I have is a 0 degree bag (from my camping days back up north).

I like excuses to buy things.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
I'm in for lunch but my idea of roughing it means the jaccuzzi bubbler in my room isn't working.

·
Registered
1999 VT1100C2 A. C. E.
9,209 Posts
Paulie said:
I think we'll be meeting in Afton Va. for lunch on Saturday. It is right off the first exit of the BRP on US50. I hope someone remembers the name of the joint. Anyway that is about 60 miles north of Otter Creek so plan for a little more mileage on the first day.
That sounds different than what I thought -- not that I have any concerns about it. I was thinking of meeting you around Clarksburg late on Thursday (the 24th), heading to Afton early on Friday (the 25th) and on to Otter Creek after meeting up with whoever else was taking Friday off work. No issue with me if we push it back a day from that -- as long as I've got it right.

The place in Afton -- is it the Blue Mountain Brewery? It is about 5 miles from where the BRP meets Skyline Drive.

Are camping reservations required at Otter Creek? Everything I know about camping along the BRP is right here.

Barry, check out the Peaks of Otter Lodge, about 25 miles away from the campground; I don't know anything about it that isn't on the website but someone here might. There's also a hotel at Natural Bridge, about 15 miles away.

·
Registered
7,345 Posts
adlowe said:
Paulie said:
I think we'll be meeting in Afton Va. for lunch on Saturday. It is right off the first exit of the BRP on US50. I hope someone remembers the name of the joint. Anyway that is about 60 miles north of Otter Creek so plan for a little more mileage on the first day.
That sounds different than what I thought -- not that I have any concerns about it. I was thinking of meeting you around Clarksburg late on Thursday (the 24th), heading to Afton early on Friday (the 25th) and on to Otter Creek after meeting up with whoever else was taking Friday off work. No issue with me if we push it back a day from that -- as long as I've got it right.

The place in Afton -- is it the Blue Mountain Brewery? It is about 5 miles from where the BRP meets Skyline Drive.

Are camping reservations required at Otter Creek? Everything I know about camping along the BRP is right here.

Barry, check out the Peaks of Otter Lodge, about 25 miles away from the campground; I don't know anything about it that isn't on the website but someone here might. There's also a hotel at Natural Bridge, about 15 miles away.
OK. I'll camp for two days, no problem. We can meet in Afton on Friday or drive up from Otter Creek on Saturday, or we can meet up someplace south of Otter Creek for those that can't get Friday off. In any case, my plan will be to bust back on the insterstates on Sunday. I'll email Dawn and Denise tomorrow and maybe we should start something in the ride section in case anyone else would like to either meet up or camp.

·
Registered
944 Posts
I could meet up at otter creek or somewhere else on Friday, as well. I have more than enough vacation time to take Thursday off as well to get up there, just let me know. I will need to put in for another day within the next couple of weeks.

·
Registered
1999 VT1100C2 A. C. E.
9,209 Posts
Paulie said:
In any case, my plan will be to bust back on the insterstates on Sunday. I'll email Dawn and Denise tomorrow and maybe we should start something in the ride section in case anyone else would like to either meet up or camp.
Hey, now there's a thought. I need to come up with a plan for what I'll be doing afterward. Originally I was thinking of heading to CT to meet up with my cousin from Guam (he's bringing his whole family over for the first time in about 5 years) but now he's leaving on the 28th so that won't work.

We need to come up with a name for this get together. It is too late in the year to use the word "Spring".

41 - 60 of 78 Posts