Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys! New Shadow owner...although it is a 2001. All the bikes, dirt bikes, ATVs I've ever had have been Honda. Can't get away from them. Was talking with a coworker a few weeks ago and he says "Hey, know anyone that wants a free bike?" "Ummm, yeah I do. Whatcha got?"

So he tells me its a 2006 Shadow 750. Ok, cool. I'll get a trailer and come get it. I do that, but turns out it's a 2001 Shadow Spirit VT1100C. It's not in the best shape, but hey it's free. So, I load it up and take it home.

The bike allegedly sat outside for some time and then made it's way into a garage. The tank was rusty as hell. It's missing side covers. The handle bar risers are wonky. Throttle/cable feels stuck and wont twist. No battery. Overall, not terrible though. So far, I have a new battery, petcock and filters on the way. I'm picking up the tank from a local shop today that cleaned out the rust and had it relined. I talked to another shop that said they would rebuild the carbs for about $700 and find me some options to toss the old exhaust.

My plan is to make a bobber out of it. I've read through a couple of threads on here already with some very nice work. I need to find some used side covers, get new handle bars and controls. Most likely get a fender and seat kit from Blue Collar Bobbers or TJ Brutal customs. Gotta get the bike running first and then the cosmetic stuff will take shape. Does anyone know if any Shadow models from that generation had black switch housings or levers? All this chrome has to go.

·
Registered
12,582 Posts
Welcome to the forum.
I would suggest jumping it with a non running car battery to at least make sure the engine CAN turn over. No use spending a bunch and have a seized engine. It may even fire up on some carb spray into the intake .
What does the oil and coolant look like?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome to the forum.
I would suggest jumping it with a non running car battery to at least make sure the engine CAN turn over. No use spending a bunch and have a seized engine. It may even fire up on some carb spray into the intake .
What does the oil and coolant look like?
I changed the engine oil and final drive oil over the weekend. Engine oil drained fine, no sludge so I'm pleased. I put in a fresh battery and the engine does turn over. I think my gas tank is shot so I'm searching for a new one.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
My free Shadow was missing one side cover, the one over the battery of course. I hate online shopping and Im pretty frugal so after a brief search around town I decided to make my own. I contemplated several approaches. My first thought was to mould one from fiber glass or carbon fiber, but decided that was too much work. Then I thought of hammering one out of sheet metal, but again felt like the payoff wasnt worth the effort. Ultimately I decided to make it out of leather and turn it into a bag. This didnt take me more than a couple hours, was made out of recycled saddle bags and gave me a much needed storage compartment.
Screenshot_20190523-133426_Gallery.jpg

1 - 4 of 4 Posts