Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1984 Honda Shadow VT700c
so I pull the fuse block and replaced it with 6 circuits with a negative bus blade fuse that i want to relocate under the seat. i'm also completely changing out all the lights switches and instruments to more up-date equipment.
so my question is in the old block the warning indicators were jumped off the light and such. Should I have to jump them as well since all the indicators are in the digital display?

Attachments

·
Registered
2006 Honda Shadow Spirit VT750DC
154 Posts
Looks like fuel reserve, oil pressure, overdrive, neutral, and stop and tail warning are all feed/go to the Bl/Be wire if those are the lights you are talking about.

So you are installing anew digital display if I am understanding correctly right? How does that wire up?

I am guessing that Bl/Br is a common or ground. Would probably have to wire up the other wires going to the lights to the new display as I think those would be the 'signal' wires that tell the respective lights to turn on.

·
Registered
'83 VT750C
2,869 Posts
It’s a common 12V feed from the fuse. Each circuit provides its own ground.

so my question is in the old block the warning indicators were jumped off the light and such. Should I have to jump them as well since all the indicators are in the digital display?
So long as you account for each one separately, it shouldn’t matter how you power them. Most of the indicators are triggered when the ground is opened. I’m thinking your display might be different. So, we know the bike wiring schematics. Can you give us information on the digital display, or your napkin sketches of YOUR wiring diagrams? You have planned this out first before starting to cut and splice… right? 😉

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
the harness has a LED resistor already installed, and it seems to have been modified prior to when i got it. which is why I'm basically starting from scratch. Never had good luck modifying a prep-modified wiring job. while i have removed the wiring harness and began to unwrap it

So here's what i'm looking to install.

Camera accessory Measuring instrument Cameras & optics Font Circle
Electrical wiring Cable Gadget Wire Electrical supply
Font Rectangle Number Paper Parallel
Font Paper Paper product Pattern Document

·
Registered
'83 VT750C
2,869 Posts
Nice unit, though most of the functions (electric door lock? 😉) will be superfluous on the ‘85. Though that stock dash is one of the prettiest that I know of, though I could be biased… You’re also dealing with an electronic speed input, so you’ll need to replace or convert your speedo cable with a Hall effect sensor. You could make use of some of the other lights, like ABS being used for overdrive, for example.

For wiring, it looks like it relies on the inputs as positive signal, going to the ground provided by your speedometer. You might need to completely rewire the ones you want to use.

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
19,050 Posts
it's not a relay but a sensor of the current draw. When a bulb goes out it turns on a warning light, but the LED is too low of a draw and turns on the light also.
All you would have to do is bypass (jumper) each tail and brake wire going IN and OUT and it would be out of the circuit.

Reactions: "Captain D"

·
Registered
'83 VT750C
2,869 Posts
found my clymer manual after a month of looking.
If you have the Honda factory manual from on here, why would the Clymer be much good to you? Though when the factory states you need to remove three components to get to something, the Clymer will sometimes say to just muscle them out of the way while you yank out what you need! 😄

·
Registered
2006 Honda Shadow Spirit VT750DC
154 Posts
The main reason I bought my clymer manual was for the colored schematics. Yeah I know the available manuals tell you what color the wires are, but I just find it easier to use.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts