Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just joined this forum with a recent purchase of an excellent condition Honda vt700 1986 model. I am very excited and am awaiting delivery of the bike. I also ordered the manual from eBay. Look at some reviews but would love to hear some advice on Maintainance and basic everyday living with these classic bikes. Your time and input is much appreciated. Fwiw, I bought it from Kaplan cycles and the bike went through the check points and updates.

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
14,963 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Show us pictures of your new beauty when you get it.
They are very maintenance free. No valve adjustments, chain lube, etc.
Just keep the fluids clean and use MOTORCYLE approved oil for the wet clutch. Keep good fuel in and use Seafoam once in awhile. Get a battery maintainer. Ride safe and have fun. Keep those old classics running.

·
Registered
1995 VT1100C2
3,811 Posts
I would ask Kaplan for an itemized checklist of the service. sometimes "just serviced" means one thing to the dealer and another thing to Honda: I would expect oil/filter but also coolant, brake fluid, final drive, air filter and possibly new plugs.

Also the dealer can make the tires look new with a simple spray but I would ask or check the tire date.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Already learning new things, thanks for the input. I was reading on this forum that synthetic oil is good, as long as their aren’t any energy saving labels on them. Can you recommend a brand that you guys like.

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
14,963 Posts
WOW that is a nice machine !
And yes you have enough pictures, LOL.

Synthetic oil is great but I will tell you of one thing to consider.
My old 1983 had a seepage from the rubber cam plugs when i got my bike from a friend.
He said he used synthetic. So I changed oil to Rotella synthetic and the cam plugs started leaking faster.
I read that synthetic will clean very well, and if there is old gunk from years of using dino oil, it will clean it off and seals may start leaking.
So I am back to Honda GN4 dino oil. Just an observation.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts